This year's sam adams....wtf?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motobrewer

I'm no atheist scientist, but...
Reaction score
So, I'm not a huge Sam Adams fan, but I do look forward to two of their seasonals - Old Fezziwig and Holiday Porter.

Their Old Fezziwig was awful this year! What gives? Almost no spice aroma at all (best part was opening one up and smelling christmas cookies). It tasted like they took their winter lager and added some honey. Very disappointed.

Then I was talking with my friend last night, and before I could bring this up, he says "What is with SA this year? Everything is horrible."

I thought it was strange, is it just us or is anyone else finding the same thing?

I was disappointed with the LongShot six-pack; haven't drunk a whole lot of their seasonals this year though.

Actually, the bock in the LongShot was really good. Didn't care for the cranberry wit very much, and the DIPA was downright bad.

Is there supposed to be a ton of diacetyl in their holiday porter? This is the first year I've tried it, and I'm not sure I will again.

I bought a big variety pack of Sam Adams for my Halloween party. Just about everything in it was very disappointing. I remember liking Sam Adams when I've had it in the past, so it was a real surprise that I ended up with a fridge half full of beer that I really didn't want to drink.

I've noticed that Sam Adams stuff, at least where I get it, seems dramatically better on draft than in bottles. May be just my perception.

yeah, i agree, the fezziwig ale was sub par.

The only drinkable beer in their winter selection is the holiday porter in my opinion. As for sam adam's generally, I don't trust a brewery that has so many advertisements on TV....

yeah, i agree with the holiday porter. and even that wasn't what i remember.

my buddy who also noted this year's SA was bad had picked up the Fall variety. he had a hard time getting rid of it.

Is there supposed to be a ton of diacetyl in their holiday porter? This is the first year I've tried it, and I'm not sure I will again.
I've gotten that the last two years I've bought the Winter variety pack! The Holiday Porter was so full of diacetyl that I couldn't finish it!:mad: I really only buy it to get the Old Fezziwig, which is normally great.

Back