This years BCBS...What the heck, ABInBev / Goose Island

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder if that's due to changes in the recipe / barrels / ageing process? Any theories?

GI stated that with the temperatures this year, they weren't getting as much contraction with the barrels, therefore the integration and melding of the bourbon and the base beer wasn't as potent as years previous. Global warming is now affecting our sweet, sweet nectar

When the temperature gets warm, the oak opens up allowing beer to soak into the wood. When it gets cold the wood contracts forcing the beer back out. The more frequently this happens, the more barrel profile is imparted. I am assuming they meant there were less cycles of expansion/contraction when they said didn't contract as much. As for the ABV, There are 2 factors that could influence this after it got to the barrel.

1. The volume of alcohol left in the barrels when they were filled. If they were filled in cold weather, the wood would have contracted leaving less bourbon behind in the wood for the beer.

2. Humidity. In high humidity the primary evaporation from the barrels "the angels share" is alcohol which would decrease the abv. However, if the humidity in the barrel room was very low, the angels share would be mostly water therefore increasing the abv.

See the above post...probably the best explanation I've seen to date.

GI stated that with the temperatures this year, they weren't getting as much contraction with the barrels, therefore the integration and melding of the bourbon and the base beer wasn't as potent as years previous. Global warming is now affecting our sweet, sweet nectar

One would think that a company with an annual revenue of over $30,000,000,000 (30 billion!) could afford some climate control.

One would think that a company with an annual revenue of over $30,000,000,000 (30 billion!) could afford some climate control.

I'm actually very curious to see if any actual bourbon producers use climate control environments for aging. Everything I've read to date points to no climate control.

You would think they could pattern the best conditions for producing and then use climate control to cause the fluctuations necessary to produce the best end product.... But that would remove the natural characteristics and changes that makes it interesting

couple thoughts:
1. the 2014 is frigging great
2. goose (the factory) is surprisingly small - the new lagunitas dwarfs it (5x bigger). I am surprised they can devote this much room to the barrel program
3. how would it be a great business move to buy into a company known for barrel beers in order to improve your standing in the craft world and then diminish the product which would lower your standing in the craft world? I put all this AB talk in with alligators in the sewers and not vaccinating children.

Yes, so then everyone could whine about how they're ruining the beer by adding climate control.

I am not sure why anyone would whine about it. It would just make the beer better, or give them more control of their process anyway. I wish every brewery had climate control.

Back