This site is dumb..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're still whirlpooling?!?!? That's sooo yesterlastweek!
Haven't you seen this?:
Extracting hipster IPA from wort-moistened hops:
full_TWTT-Apple-Press-12-Litre-2.jpg

You're still whirlpooling?!?!?

well one thing hanging around here for 4 years has taught me, everything is O2 permeable enough that all i have to do is set my 22lb bag of hops next to my SS fermenter...

1657601189197.png

(and cut it out about my dirty pics... i've seen people post worse and you S.O.B.'s don't give them a hard time! ;) :mug:)

edit: and honestly feel free to talk smack about the floor, because i just haven't had a chance to beat it up with my new slipper mops...that fermenter weighs 150lbs and has been full since i got them.....

Last edited:
well one thing hanging around here for 4 years has taught me, everything is O2 permeable enough that all i have to do is set my 22lb bag of hops next to my SS fermenter...

View attachment 774652

(and cut it out about my dirty pics... i've seen people post worse and you S.O.B.'s don't give them a hard time! ;) :mug:)
You still ferment?!?!? That means you must be using water!
There is absolutely no need to ever use water! Trust me, you'll thank me later..
It's the old way of brewing, and there is absolutely no need to do it that way any more!

I quit using water when I realized the off flavors it was causing my beers to have, now I just fill my keg with grains and hops and attach one of these to my kegerator;
Oxygen-Masks.jpg

Mmmmmm! Just inhale that modern beer!
:ban:

:mug:

But then you need twice as many hops, right?

only like a witch's cauldron around the kettle to get the whirlpool started?

what you need is something like one of those magnet braclets, but a full suit, and some sorta stir bar?

but honestly @Homebrewer20 , i've done 100% white rice rice beer's where i just dry hop it also... if you like the result, fine for you!

but don't name your thread this "

Please stop boiling your hops!"​

like i'm trying to force my boiled hops down your gullet...

I think he could be right, at some point.

Using all in flameout/whirlpool/hop stand, if start at 95 C could even bring IBU at high levels, but it's very difficult to get it rightly predict. Anyway it would preserve aromas and flavours of hops. That actually works. So...

View attachment 774659

For AHA members, there is audio associated with the PDF.
So?
Yeah, the OP had some flaw in their technique or process and then found a solution which served them….fine, I am truly and sincerely happy for the OP that they now have something more enjoyable.
Coming on here to proselytize in such a manner as to essentially say to all of us: “Hey! You’ve ALL been doing it WRONG for 300 years or so! I have found the One True Way! Stop being ‘old-fashioned’!” has the same abrasive effect as can be found throughout our history books. However well-intentioned the post, it comes across as thoughtless demeaning arrogance, and yeah, I’m one of those who prefers to employ levity and just plain fun rather than more sombre messages like this when so confronted. With satirical responses, the OP gets to either see how the wording of their post could be misconstrued to cause offence and join in to the humour, or they can double down on the arrogance and reveal themselves as deserving a lampooning.

BTW: Thank you very much for the link to that pdf! I’ve kept a copy and the next time I have both the money and inclination to experiment with something other than my own consistently excellent preferred brews, I will definitely consider the suggestion it offers. :)
☮️

:bigmug:

I was scratching my head over this... maybe the brain-damage that makes me still miss what should be obvious, but it made me think you had gotten drunk and posted nudes. (NO! I don't wanna see that! ...nothing personal) But when I figured it out, it did remind me that you have yet to post pics or video of your new mop/slippers in action.... have you a floor mat or something for rinsing yet? :mug:

I think the OP is just excited about his results and wanted to share with everyone. He joined HBT in 2022 so obviously not an experienced poster on HBT. It's definitely an interesting technique and worthy of discussion. I know there have been many trends in brewing that have rocked the boat to traditional thinking such as BIAB, no-boil extract brewing, and "oh-no" hazy IPAs which have been game changers for some. Sharing your results is great, just please consider your audience of experienced brewers before telling everyone they're doing it wrong. Lesson learned I'm sure.

A bit pricey at that for something which can be made from a mason jar and some leftover fittings. I would think it has similar results as keg hopping, but without the worry of tasting vegetal.

I live at an elevation of 4400 feet. My boil typically ranges between 203-204f (about 95c). I’m so confused now, can I keep boiling my hops? What about those crazies who brew at the tops of mountains?

What about those crazies who brew at the tops of mountains?
In such isolated places, they are unlikely to ever enjoy such modern 'plearsures' as 'modern' banana-split jalapeno hazy 'IPA'with 2lbs. of esoteric hops in every bottle.
At your elevation, perhaps you could simply throw your hops in the fermenter and use a fan to direct steam from your kettle at it, then discard the rest. ;)
:ghostly:

Maybe he made crap beer by normal methods and using the non boil method he can drink it? ... It does not mean it is actually any good its maybe just better than the rot he made before . There are loads of folks in the new world that think they invented brewing because they now make beers that taste better than Coors and Budweiser 😄

At your elevation, perhaps you could simply throw your hops in the fermenter and use a fan to direct steam from your kettle at it, then discard the rest. ;)
I’ve heard eating hops can get you drunk. I’ll probably just start sitting down with a glass of water and some compressed hop pellets and get wrecked.

I think the OP is just excited about his results and wanted to share with everyone. He joined HBT in 2022 so obviously not an experienced poster on HBT.
I think this is probably spot on. @Homebrewer20 i can only speak for myself but I think most of us here have a similar attitude. A lot the razzing is tongue and cheek. It’s probably a little more than normal because of your very dogmatic statement. Hazy IPA’s, (or whatever IPA you’ve undoubtedly used this method on) represent a fraction of beer brewed around the world.

Try that method on a "Captain Crunch Kit Kat Froot Loops Pedia-Lax Hazy English Special Bitter", you probably wouldn't like it. But there might be more to the dislike than the hops with that recipe... :ghostly:

All the fun is, er, fun. Even if some might be put off by the OP's provocative title choice.

Meanwhile, on a more serious note, I'm wondering: @Homebrewer20, what beer styles have you found work well with this ” double whirlpool" post-boil method? What temps are you using for your double hop additions?

I'm not a fan of putting hops in the boil myself, apart from bittering at 60mins.
I brewed the same beer, an APA, with 15min, 10, 5 and flameout hop additions, then again with all those hops moved to whirlpool and dry hop, then again with all of them moved to the dry hop only. In my humble opinion the dry hop only was best, followed by the whirlpool/dry hop, with the boil additions version coming in a very poor 3rd.
Now obviously it depends what you want from a beer but for me it was enough to ditch the boil additions completely.

So please stop it!;)

Back