This Really Annoys Me Pet Peeve Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
People who go to the 10 items or less with a full cart and think nothing of it.

Related: People who use this lane (often labeled the "Express" lane), and insist on taking their time paying with exact change, carefully counting out the coins. Or even writing a cheque (I've seen it).

It's an EXPRESS lane! It's for people who are in a hurry! Tap your debit card, and get out of the way! If you want take your time and pay cash with exact change, that's fine - just do it in another lane. Use a regular lane, not one designated for folks with sh*t to do.

Thought of another one, although this might be asking too much of regular folks.

Say you're driving down the road, and you're coming up to a 4-way intersection. There are 2 main (straight) lanes, and a left turning lane. If the light is red (or about to turn red), and you're going straight, how about you drift over into the leftmost "straight" lane, and leave the right lane open for folks who might want to turn right on the red light? I can't count the number of times I've been stuck behind some oblivious driver, with my right turn signal blinking, waiting for the light to turn green so he'll be on his way and I can complete my right turn.

That and the a-holes that refuse to pull 'closer' to the car in front so that you can get into the turn lane.

+1

I've developed a habit where, if I'm pulling up to traffic stopped at a light, and I'm far enough back that I happen to be right at the spot where a turning lane begins on either side of me, I instinctively look in my mirror to see if there's a car behind me coming up, with his turn signal on. If so, I'll pull closer to the opposite side of my lane, and pull up as close as I can to the car in front of me, to give them room to get by me.

Small thing that annoys me much more than it should: the fork & knife shelf on our dishwasher.

I've asked my wife for countless times to fill the daym shelf by category, how hard can it be to put the knives to the rear, spoons to the front and forks to the middle?! That way when you are emptying it you can just grab a handful of knives and toss them into the drawer tray, then do the same for forks etc. Her excuse is it takes so much time and effort to sort them in there, bulls***. It takes way less time to sort them into the washer than it takes to sort them into the drawer cause you're bringing them into the washer one by one aren't you so it doesn't add your work load to think for half a second where to drop the thing in your hand!

This is actually a two part peeve: first is that this isn't the only thing where she fails to grasp the idea that if you do your prep work properly it doesn't really add your work load, and when you're doing the actual work it's actually 75% already done! Second is how can she seriously expect me to obediently follow each and every one of her instructions about how to do anything, regardless if I feel her method is illogical and can prove there is a better more efficient way, if she cannot bother to do ONE thing the way I have repeatedly asked her to do?! Pick your battles they say but I cannot be yielding in every single thing either...

Speaking of turn lanes, here's kind of a unique one:

Near my place there's a strip mall that has a coffee shop and the strip mall shares a lot with our favorite frozen custard place. When leaving the lot, if you turn into the closest lane, it's a right turn only lane which will send you south. I need to go north, so I need to cross the R turn lane and the two eastbound lanes to get into the northbound left turn lane.

Never fails that someone will be in the R turn lane and stop and try to wave me into the R turn lane. I'll shake my head "no" when the eastbound lanes are full and I can't cross over to the L then lane. Very often the people (who are in the R turn lane, the same ones who are leaving a gap for me) will actually beep at me trying to get me to turn into the R turn lane. I get that they're trying to be helpful, but at the same time they're being pretty dumb.

Related: People who use this lane (often labeled the "Express" lane), and insist on taking their time paying with exact change, carefully counting out the coins. Or even writing a cheque (I've seen it).

It's an EXPRESS lane! It's for people who are in a hurry! Tap your debit card, and get out of the way! If you want take your time and pay cash with exact change, that's fine - just do it in another lane. Use a regular lane, not one designated for folks with sh*t to do.

I never understand the people that stand doing nothing while the cashier scans and bags everything. Then when they get the total they start going through their purse trying to find a credit card. You will have to pay no matter what the total is, get your card ready ahead of time!

Thought of another one, although this might be asking too much of regular folks.

Say you're driving down the road, and you're coming up to a 4-way intersection. There are 2 main (straight) lanes, and a left turning lane. If the light is red (or about to turn red), and you're going straight, how about you drift over into the leftmost "straight" lane, and leave the right lane open for folks who might want to turn right on the red light? I can't count the number of times I've been stuck behind some oblivious driver, with my right turn signal blinking, waiting for the light to turn green so he'll be on his way and I can complete my right turn.

It's my understanding there are no turn on reds in Europe... Don't move there

There are. It's just not a standard. Some places there is an extra green light beside the normal tree to indicate when you can turn even though the reds are burning, some places there's just a yield sign on the right turn lane, and some places there's no separate turn right lane at all and you just go whenever the lights are green.

This in Finlandia, not sure of central europe, never been.

There are. It's just not a standard. Some places there is an extra green light beside the normal tree to indicate when you can turn even though the reds are burning, some places there's just a yield sign on the right turn lane, and some places there's no separate turn right lane at all and you just go whenever the lights are green.

I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing - I'm talking about turning right when the light is red. Not red with a green right turn arrow, just plain old red. No arrow. Just red. If traffic is clear, you're allowed to turn right anyway. Even though there is only one light lit up, and it's a solid red circle.

Heck, in my province (Ontario), you can even turn LEFT on a red light, as long as it's from one one-way street onto another.

I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing - I'm talking about turning right when the light is red. Not red with a green right turn arrow, just plain old red. No arrow. Just red. If traffic is clear, you're allowed to turn right anyway. Even though there is only one light lit up, and it's a solid red circle.

Heck, in my province (Ontario), you can even turn LEFT on a red light, as long as it's from one one-way street onto another.

In Chicago they have the cameras that watch the driver at a red light.

You get a ticket if;
- Not stopped for at least 20 seconds when turning on a red.
- Bumper crosses the white line.
- Blow the light.

My mother in law refuses to turn ROAR because of the number of tickets her and her husband have gotten in the neighborhood. They have these cameras all over the place. You can get 5 in one night just driving through town if you're not careful. You get irate if you get $1000 in tickets in one night.

Small thing that annoys me much more than it should: the fork & knife shelf on our dishwasher.

I've asked my wife for countless times to fill the daym shelf by category, how hard can it be to put the knives to the rear, spoons to the front and forks to the middle?! That way when you are emptying it you can just grab a handful of knives and toss them into the drawer tray, then do the same for forks etc. Her excuse is it takes so much time and effort to sort them in there, bulls***. It takes way less time to sort them into the washer than it takes to sort them into the drawer cause you're bringing them into the washer one by one aren't you so it doesn't add your work load to think for half a second where to drop the thing in your hand!

This is actually a two part peeve: first is that this isn't the only thing where she fails to grasp the idea that if you do your prep work properly it doesn't really add your work load, and when you're doing the actual work it's actually 75% already done! Second is how can she seriously expect me to obediently follow each and every one of her instructions about how to do anything, regardless if I feel her method is illogical and can prove there is a better more efficient way, if she cannot bother to do ONE thing the way I have repeatedly asked her to do?! Pick your battles they say but I cannot be yielding in every single thing either...

Tell me about laundry.... LOL

I have three laundry baskets.
- whites
- permanent press
- colors

I don't sort laundry on laundry day. I fill them as I change clothes. I wash when it's full. A True Push System.

I should be leaving the bar now...
....the basket runeth over!

Drinking North Island from Coronado Brewing! American IPA

:D

The key to not doing laundry is to screw it up every time you try. I definitely annoyed her numerous times, but now I'm not allowed to do laundry. Pure genius on my part. It reminds me of the sage advice I was once given to keep an open leg out of the house: "Never buy milk by the gallon, beer by the case or smokes by the carton".

Wife refuses to get a separate hamper for items that shouldn't go in the dryer. If it isn't dry clean only, why the hell buy something that can't go in the dryer. That's a peeve for another time. Inevitably, some makes it into the dryer and now I'm the bad guy. Or, I don't put an item in the dryer b/c the tag says line dry and she then tells me that she always puts that one in. Wtf!?!

here's a big one... online shopping and you see something you may wish to purchase. there's a picture of it (on the right in attached pic), and a link you can click to see ENLARGED VERSION

and then, in the popup window (on left), "enlarged".

refractometer.JPG

That and the a-holes that refuse to pull 'closer' to the car in front so that you can get into the turn lane.

Just this morning, I pull up to a busy intersection. Left a decent amount of space in front of me. But I looked at my side mirror and I could see that three cars back, someone was right at the point to get into the left turn lane with their blinker on but the car 2 cars back was blocking them.

So I pulled up. The driver behind me pulled up.

The blocking car? They waited until the light turned green to start pulling up, meaning the car that was trying to get into the left lane could no longer make the protected left turn light, and had to wait another circuit of the light. Jerk...

Second is how can she seriously expect me to obediently follow each and every one of her instructions about how to do anything, regardless if I feel her method is illogical and can prove there is a better more efficient way, if she cannot bother to do ONE thing the way I have repeatedly asked her to do?! Pick your battles they say but I cannot be yielding in every single thing either...

I used to CONSTANTLY try to get my ex wife to break down cardboard boxes before putting them in the recycling bin. Or at least leave them for me in the garage and I'll do it. Because a bunch of empty cardboard boxes in the recycling bin take up WAY more space than if you break them down. Nope... I'd constantly find big bulky boxes just sitting in there.

Oh well. She's my ex now. Granted, that's because I caught her trolling for D on Tinder, not because she couldn't manage cardboard boxes.

Speaking of turn lanes, here's kind of a unique one

Near me (El Toro Rd exit southbound from I-5), you need to turn from the exit onto a frontage road before turning onto El Toro. So there are 3 turn lanes from the off-ramp turning left onto the frontage road. Once you turn onto the frontage road, there are then 3 left turn lanes onto El Toro N/B, 2 straight lanes to continue on the frontage road, and one right turn lane onto El Toro S/B.

As you can imagine, there are solid painted lines on the two leftmost turn lanes that take you onto El Toro, because it's just dangerous to be all the way to the left and then cut across multiple lanes of traffic if you want to go straight or turn right. I go straight on the frontage road, so I always stay in the #3 lane which is correct. This is part of my daily commute, so it's almost every day of the week.

About 66-75% of the time, someone cuts me off from either the #1 or the #2 lane trying to go straight, or sometimes even trying to get to the right turn lane.

PLAN YOUR ROUTE, PEOPLE!

PLAN YOUR ROUTE, PEOPLE!

yep

it's not difficult: know where you're going. know how to get there.

in this day & age, with google & bing maps, mapquest and GPS, there' just no excuse for not knowing how to get where you're going

Some folks must see:

Exit 2 miles: "Meh."
Exit 1 mile: "Whatevs."
Exit 1/2 mile: "I'm good."
Exit 1/4 mile: "wait ... what did that say?"
Exit: Holy %#&! I have to get over right now!!! E'rbody move!!!

Quote: "Near me (El Toro Rd exit southbound from I-5), you need to turn from the exit onto a frontage road before turning onto El Toro. So there are 3 turn lanes from the off-ramp turning left onto the frontage road. Once you turn onto the frontage road, there are then 3 left turn lanes onto El Toro N/B, 2 straight lanes to continue on the frontage road, and one right turn lane onto El Toro S/B.

As you can imagine, there are solid painted lines on the two leftmost turn lanes that take you onto El Toro, because it's just dangerous to be all the way to the left and then cut across multiple lanes of traffic if you want to go straight or turn right. I go straight on the frontage road, so I always stay in the #3 lane which is correct. This is part of my daily commute, so it's almost every day of the week.

About 66-75% of the time, someone cuts me off from either the #1 or the #2 lane trying to go straight, or sometimes even trying to get to the right turn lane.

PLAN YOUR ROUTE, PEOPLE!". End quote.

I have planned my route for the future. I will never drive through Milwaukee or Chicago ever again. Atlanta is a toss up.

I prefer the less complicated highways with many fewer intense drivers.

I have planned my route for the future. I will never drive through Milwaukee or Chicago ever again. Atlanta is a toss up.

I prefer the less complicated highways with many fewer intense drivers.

You would hate driving around the DC metro area, where drivers are not only intense, but feel entitled

I drove through Chicago recently, it was just a little before rush hour but to me it was completely freakin' crazy. Missed 2 toll booths and have no idea how to find out which ones they were. One I missed because a white SUV tried to side-swipe me.

Was told that I could not only pay online, but I could find which booths I missed by entering my license plate info. Turns out you have to pay the fine within 7 days, but your plates aren't in the system for at least another week past that. Oh yeah, Illinois, that makes a load of sense... (if there was a 'smiley' of someone flipping the bird, I'd use it. I'm flippin' you off Illinois). Way to target visitors.

Then I managed to hit Milwaukee at rush hour. That wasn't as bad but certainly not great.

Will never drive through Chicago again.

Ugh, I HATE driving in/through/near Atlanta... I-85 would be an amazing interstate if it weren't for Atlanta... well, and also Charlotte...

I still have PTSD from 13 years of driving in and around Atlanta. It's one of the biggest reasons I moved out to the styx. These days I only go that there under duress and/or heavy sedation.

Email to specifically me from an online homebrew store: "Haven't heard from you in awhile! Here is a 20% off coupon since we value your business! Valid 48 hours!"

Later that day on the site for everyone: "20% off your purchase!"

Wtf, really makes it seem they "value" my business!

Email to specifically me from an online homebrew store: "Haven't heard from you in awhile! Here is a 20% off coupon since we value your business! Valid 48 hours!"

Later that day on the site for everyone: "20% off your purchase!"

Wtf, really makes it seem they "value" my business!

So, what did you end up buying? :D

Oh, no... They’re a special kind of entitled in DC. 3 of 5 richest counties in US, full of lawyers, lobbyists, congresscritters & govt bureaucrats

yep

it's not difficult: know where you're going. know how to get there.

in this day & age, with google & bing maps, mapquest and GPS, there' just no excuse for not knowing how to get where you're going

Exactly. And even more important...

If you're in a lane from which it would be unsafe to exit in order to go where you're "supposed" to go, well just stay in your lane until it's safe to adjust.

Does that mean you might miss your turn? Yes. So be it. If you have GPS, it'll automatically re-route you. If you don't have GPS, you can certainly find a safe place to turn around and get back on route.

But DON'T endanger everyone else on the road just because you planned poorly (or not at all, usually).

Yep. That guy that has had his turn signal on for a mile and a half but nobody will let him in?

Screw him for not planning his drive better. This is MY ****ing city and I'm not letting some confused guy into my lane!

Yep. He should take his eyes off the road and look at his GPS and Maps, even though every inconsiderate, "I gotta get home and if I don't let that guy in, it will save seven seconds on my commute" driver is tailgating the guy in front of him at 80 MPH.

That's right. Eff him. He might inconvenience me.

Reactions: Kee
Oh, bull****. Wasn't talking about that. Talking about a-holes who wait until it's too late to turn or exit who THEN decide they need to turn or exit

Got no problem with people who are in the turn/exit lane a mile early

You must be the other guy

Yep. That guy that has had his turn signal on for a mile and a half but nobody will let him in?

Screw him for not planning his drive better. This is MY ****ing city and I'm not letting some confused guy into my lane!

Yep. He should take his eyes off the road and look at his GPS and Maps, even though every inconsiderate, "I gotta get home and if I don't let that guy in, it will save seven seconds on my commute" driver is tailgating the guy in front of him at 80 MPH.

That's right. Eff him. He might inconvenience me.

If he has his turn signal on for a mile and a half, that proves my point that he adequately planned his route a mile and a half ago, which is exactly what I'm suggesting he should do.

I'm willing to let people merge and change lanes. Not my argument. I'm not a dick on the road.

My issue is with people who don't plan, don't pay attention, and then do unsafe things to inconsiderately cut people off.

And in the particular intersection I brought up, they do illegal things crossing a solid white line in an area that you're not allowed to change lanes to do it. Those lines are solid because it would be unsafe to change there, but people just wantonly drift across them because they're jerks and didn't plan their route better.

You guys have never driven through a strange city?

Even with GPS or Maps, exits sneak up, have merge lanes coming into them, change from two to one lane etc. Lanes become "exit only" lanes with little or no warning. Exits are on opposite sides of the road than expected. There are dozens of reasons that a driver may have to try to cross over a couple of lanes or more. Missing an exit may mean an hour or more of driving around a strange city.

Would it kill you to be a bit more considerate and let the damn guy in the mini-van merge to make his exit. Daaaaaamn

Day before yesterday, in a town I've been to once before, missed my turn, found a safe place to turn around, arrived safely at my destination

Yesterday on the drive home, accident on 95, one lane of 3 getting by, we're in the right lane. At an entrance ramp, I let a couple cars merge in front of me, guy behind me is nut to my butt, won't let anyone in front of him. So I let a couple more cars in front of me, then a tractor trailer. Azzhole behind me lays on his horn, so I let 2 more cars merge

The situation of not being able to get into a lane for a mile and a half is because you're in bumper to bumper traffic going 0 - 15 MPH. That's a rarity in Chicago. You can always cut in front of a semi, because they can't accelerate quickly enough to keep the gap tight. I drive in heavy traffic four times a week to and from Chicago and Decatur.

I generally let people in, if they want in, but only one, the guy behind me can let another in if he wants to do so.

I freaking hate the people who don't get over in a construction zone and try to cut in late right as it necks down. However that's only at the very end, knowing they had 3 miles to get over in 55 mph traffic.

Driving in Miami. I think it was 1979. Expecting my exit was coming up soon was in the far right lane of four lanes. Saw the sign for the exit one-quarter mile ahead but on the left. Put on my turn signal. All of a sudden all the traffic to my left slowed to allow me to change lanes.

edit: Sorry. Not an annoyance but a great surprise I'll never forget.

Reactions: Kee
You guys have never driven through a strange city?

Even with GPS or Maps, exits sneak up, have merge lanes coming into them, change from two to one lane etc. Lanes become "exit only" lanes with little or no warning. Exits are on opposite sides of the road than expected. There are dozens of reasons that a driver may have to try to cross over a couple of lanes or more. Missing an exit may mean an hour or more of driving around a strange city.

Would it kill you to be a bit more considerate and let the damn guy in the mini-van merge to make his exit. Daaaaaamn

I understand your point of view, it's happened to me. I travel for work, often in strange cities. I'm usually at fault because I'm not paying attention to the GPS or there's too many exits stacked together and I didn't notice that I'm supposed to take exit 15C on the left. Not 15B on the right.

I think crossing multiple lanes 3 or more at 65 mph over a couple hundred feet is pretty dangerous. Crossing three lanes over mile and half, in bumper to bumper traffic at 15 mph is not.

That said, getting off of the wrong exit can be equally dangerous. Try that in Chicago or Detroit at night and you might be car-jacked at a red light. The place I exit off of on I-290 is fairly safe, but an exit later is bad news. If I go two later its OK.

My BIL's girl friend has been a victim of a smash & grab at a light at the top of an exit, twice. They bust out the window and take the purse on the passenger seat.

I freaking hate the people who don't get over in a construction zone and try to cut in late right as it necks down. However that's only at the very end, knowing they had 3 miles to get over in 55 mph traffic.

Sorry, you're wrong in this case. Study after study shows that it's most efficient if both lanes are used until the merge point and then everyone "zipper" merges at Taft point. Many states have an active ad campaign to educate people about the zipper method.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back