This Really Annoys Me Pet Peeve Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
people using hawt for hot and moar for more on the internet.

It is stupid. Stahp.

ftfy

:D

In that same vein, imgur can get my peeves petted something fierce, with all their crap words. "Sauce" when they mean source. "Ded" instead of dead (at least the finally shortened a word!) And "bae"... don't even get me started on the sheer ridiculousness of that. I haven't even accepted "boo" yet, don't try and throw "bae" at me.

Ugh.

ftfy

:D

In that same vein, imgur can get my peeves petted something fierce, with all their crap words. "Sauce" when they mean source. "Ded" instead of dead (at least the finally shortened a word!) And "bae"... don't even get me started on the sheer ridiculousness of that. I haven't even accepted "boo" yet, don't try and throw "bae" at me.

Ugh.

And the LOLcat-speak. "I iz on teh Googlez"

And, while we're at it, people who change "s" to "z" at the ends of words. "I haz skillz," "hot dealz," etc.

People using hawt for hot and moar for more on the internet.

It is stupid. Stop it.

I've never actually seen where someone used hawt, but I do spell it hott. Extra t for extra emphasis ya know.

Really annoys me when:

- People who park on the street while visiting some neighbor of mine block half of the entrance to my driveway. If I want to leave, I have been known to back my car up right against theirs and push their car sideways right out into the street, blocking the road entirely from one direction. Never underestimate the power of a 3.2 litre diesel engine and 470 newton meters of torque.

- People drop rat poison laced meat on the ground around the neighborhood because they are psychopaths who hate dogs. Any person who hates dogs should be taken out behind the wood shed and summarily executed. Preferably by a pack of angry pit bulls.

- I go to the supermarket to shop for a large grilling party, put the last 4 racks of ribs off the shelf into my cart and the person behind me looks at me like I just commited a crime.

- When stores sell fine china "by the piece" instead of in a set. People go and buy two plates and three bowls, then the others who would buy an entire set only find the leftovers. I'm not talking about cheap stuff here, but real hand-painted bone china and porcelain.

- When I'm dining with someone who cuts everything with their fork. Hello, there is a reason why you have both a knife and a fork.

- When I am dining with someone who touches their mobile phone for any reason. That is simply the epitome of rudeness.

And finally:

- When an employer asks me to use Microsoft products. Sorry, haven't done it in over 25 years and ain't about to start now.

- People drop rat poison laced meat on the ground around the neighborhood because they are psychopaths who hate dogs. Any person who hates dogs should be taken out behind the wood shed and summarily executed. Preferably by a pack of angry pit bulls.

- When I'm dining with someone who cuts everything with their fork. Hello, there is a reason why you have both a knife and a fork.

These 2 especially.

They are uncommon in finland, but i got in a multipage argument with a canadian expat here over it. Sorry, it isn't Too Hard, you're just lazy.

When someone wants to put Lennox on my computer.

What were they proposing; a furnace, a.c. compressor, or a humidifier?

Who wanted to do this to your confusor? Was it Linus Torvalds?

If it was, tell him he should stick with developing genetic modified corn.

FWIW - I have a Linux HVAC unit.

- When I am dining with someone who touches their mobile phone for any reason. That is simply the epitome of rudeness.

If the food is very soft, no need to whip out the knife. I cut pancakes with my fork, because cutting it with a knife would be...well...silly. But I get it if they are using their forks to cut meat.

We were eating out Friday night and I saw a young couple at the next table, looked like a first date based their apparent nervousness. The woman spent at least half the time at the table texting and ignoring her date. The poor guy was just sitting there, looking bored. I just hope the sex later on was worth it.

We were eating out Friday night and I saw a young couple at the next table, looked like a first date based their apparent nervousness. The woman spent at least half the time at the table texting and ignoring her date. The poor guy was just sitting there, looking bored. I just hope the sex later on was worth it.

In between marriages, when I was single for about 4 years, I dated a lot of women. I used to have a policy that if I seen them messing with their phone during our first date, I would just stand up, announce that the date is over and leave.

To this day, I do not allow people to be in possession of mobile phones at my dining table at home. Not even in their pocket. If you're dining with me, you're leaving your phone in your jacket in the coat closet.

If I could ever get a date, while it would annoy me to no end, I couldn't rightly just leave if she got on her phone.

40+ single men don't usually have a lot of options...

:(

My rant will be about people who can't be on time.

I love SWMBO and her family dearly, but they are terrible, terrible estimators of time.

I don't mind if you are late or can't get to something at a certain time, but either a) let me know that the agreed time will not happen or b) leave earlier. I can't stand being told "I'll be there at 1" and then them not being there until 1:30. Or "I'll be there in 10 minutes" when I know damn well you are a minimum 15 minutes away. Or the worst, knowing we need to be out the door for something at a certain time and choosing to do dishes or some chore rather then getting ready earlier.

Rant over! If I had a mic I would drop it.

If I could ever get a date, while it would annoy me to no end, I couldn't rightly just leave if she got on her phone.

40+ single men don't usually have a lot of options...

:(

I was exactly single between the ages of 40 and 44. Was like shooting fish in a barrel.

While we're at it, smart phones in general. Most evenings wife and I will watch a show or two on the TV, but that usually actually means I'll watch it and wife will watch her phone.

That's my wife. Watches TV only half the time other time on her phone. While I could be watching TV with her and my sister could text me, I look at it, then she goes ballistic about the slight distraction. Pisses me off something fierce.

Another pet peeve is eating dinner in front of the TV. My wife rarely will eat with me and my son at the table. Her face is glued to the lack of reality, fake reality crap. I hate that kind of TV programming.

What were they proposing; a furnace, a.c. compressor, or a humidifier?

Who wanted to do this to your confusor? Was it Linus Torvalds?

If it was, tell him he should stick with developing genetic modified corn.

FWIW - I have a Linux HVAC unit.

Yes Linux on my "confusor" blows like your HVAC..:D

OK I have one: When you just get out of the shower and have to poop.....now that really torques me.

ok i have one: When you just get out of the shower and have to poop.....now that really torques me.
Amen, brother!!

Plus.... football, wrestling, and weightlifting in high school took a toll on my back. Being more than a little overweight now doesn't help... but it takes about an hour every morning for my back to limber up enough to even reach my own @$$ enough to scratch it, let alone clean up a HAZMAT situation.

People trolling looking for handouts at church. Had it happen the last 2 Sunday's. I am chair of the diaconate and have to work with this. 98% of the people are just looking for easy $$ the other 10% are legit. Yeah, I know it adds up to more than 100. Bc some folks who are legit are also looking for easy $$.

People trolling looking for handouts at church. Had it happen the last 2 Sunday's. I am chair of the diaconate and have to work with this. 98% of the people are just looking for easy $$ the other 10% are legit. Yeah, I know it adds up to more than 100. Bc some folks who are legit are also looking for easy $$.

Wow...you are a Bad Deacon :D

Wow...you are a Bad Deacon :D

To quote another Deacon the other week as we handed a guy some $$ and exhorting him not to blow it on alcohol.

"This $$ is from God's People to help you. When you mess w God's People you mess w God. So don't blow it on booze or you'll have to answer to God about it."

All of the churches in town here join together for what they call the Ministerial Association - set aside their theological and idealogical differences and tackle some of the issues facing town together. Part of that is a fund for the needy - people broke down on the highway needing help repairing their car, etc. But a requirement for getting $ from that fund is filing a report/statement at the police station. Really cuts down on the "easy money" aspect when talking to the police is a requirement to get it.

People that think if it comes out of the ground, it is there for them to pick....for free.

Witnessed this today at my brothers house. I live about 30 minutes away from my brother/folks/family farm(entire road of family). I've heard stories from my brother several times about idiots wanting to pick out of his garden, but never actually witnessed the absurdity.

He has a 6 acre "garden" right up on the road. His driveway lies at a semi busy intersection. The garden is planted for his personal use, and that of the other family on the road and invited friends. Several family members pitch in some fertilizer each year, and we have a relative in the seed business, which helps out. It is very nicely laid out, with irrigation, so some people mistake it for a roadside produce stand. To minimize this, he has a nice big sign at the end of his driveway that is very visible from multiple directions. It says, "Private garden, not for sale/public." Despite this, he gets a few folks a week that pull into the driveway asking to pick whatever is in season (currently nothing).

Today, I was there, and a lady pulled into the driveway and laid on the horn. We went out, and she said, "I want to pick sum dem greens," and pointed to one of the terraces that was planted in radishes (cover crop, not edible). We explained that they weren't greens, and were just a cover crop, and regardless, the sign says that this is a private garden. She goes no a tirade about us being greedy, etc.

Evidently a similar thing has happened to my sister-inlaw several times recently. She just married my brother in May, and is not too happy about having to put up with such BS. Needless to say, a gate with a remote opener is in the works.

People these days are far too self-entitled. I don't understand it, as it seems half my generation is getting that way if not already there. What made them change?

It's like the parents that are SO worried about their kids - those same parents didn't have their Mom & dad looking after them like that. Why did they start doing it?

Basically, as a few have said before - people annoy me.

People that think if it comes out of the ground, it is there for them to pick....for free.

Witnessed this today at my brothers house. I live about 30 minutes away from my brother/folks/family farm(entire road of family). I've heard stories from my brother several times about idiots wanting to pick out of his garden, but never actually witnessed the absurdity.

He has a 6 acre "garden" right up on the road. His driveway lies at a semi busy intersection. The garden is planted for his personal use, and that of the other family on the road and invited friends. Several family members pitch in some fertilizer each year, and we have a relative in the seed business, which helps out. It is very nicely laid out, with irrigation, so some people mistake it for a roadside produce stand. To minimize this, he has a nice big sign at the end of his driveway that is very visible from multiple directions. It says, "Private garden, not for sale/public." Despite this, he gets a few folks a week that pull into the driveway asking to pick whatever is in season (currently nothing).

Today, I was there, and a lady pulled into the driveway and laid on the horn. We went out, and she said, "I want to pick sum dem greens," and pointed to one of the terraces that was planted in radishes (cover crop, not edible). We explained that they weren't greens, and were just a cover crop, and regardless, the sign says that this is a private garden. She goes no a tirade about us being greedy, etc.

Evidently a similar thing has happened to my sister-inlaw several times recently. She just married my brother in May, and is not too happy about having to put up with such BS. Needless to say, a gate with a remote opener is in the works.

That goes way beyond a peeve. Those kind of fools make me almost want to give up on the human race.

Having said that, I did have a neighbor once that extended his garden well into my property. So I felt entitled to a small part of his garden.

I've thought of another pet peeve that I'll throw out here.... I live in a very rural area, 15 miles from the nearest police post that has officers on duty around the clock. Average response time for a 911 call is anywhere from 1/2 hour to 45 minutes. So, as a rule of thumb, you keep your doors locked, your dog on alert, and a firearm handy. My "Out-laws" as I refer to my wife's parents, piss and moan about having to wait for us to unlock the door whenever they show up unannounced, instead of being able to just open the door and barge right in. They accuse me of being "Paranoid" every single time they have to wait to get in, but they're never able to give me a straight answer when I toss out this one for them...."Gee, who had a total stranger rummaging around in their garage the other night, because, and I quote....'We live in a good neighborhood and we don't have to lock our doors.' ?"

Some churches around here have a no-cash policy. Instead, they will give out gift cards for Target. No cash value. The recipient can get food, clothing, drugstore stuff, whatever. And the Targets here don't sell booze or tobacco, so they can't redeem it for that.

My biggest pet peeve is people who want "rights" but no responsibility. Aka 90% of the people I manage. Ex:They want the right to take their 15min union break but don't want the responsibilty that goes with it when they take longer and get in trouble. Drives me insane

My biggest pet peeve is people who want "rights" but no responsibility. Aka 90% of the people I manage. Ex:They want the right to take their 15min union break but don't want the responsibilty that goes with it when they take longer and get in trouble. Drives me insane

I hear ya. Used to have a guy in the book bindery where I worked, he'd run his machine for 5 minutes....shut it down, disappear outside for 20-30 minutes to have a cigarette (which was against company policy, as they're a non smoking shop), come back in, run for another 5 minutes, then disappear into the cafeteria for a half hour. And management never caught him, despite all the complaints. And he'd always ***** about being 'overworked'. Those are the sort of coworkers you secretly dream of killing......

I hear ya. Used to have a guy in the book bindery where I worked, he'd run his machine for 5 minutes....shut it down, disappear outside for 20-30 minutes to have a cigarette (which was against company policy, as they're a non smoking shop), come back in, run for another 5 minutes, then disappear into the cafeteria for a half hour. And management never caught him, despite all the complaints. And he'd always ***** about being 'overworked'. Those are the sort of coworkers you secretly dream of killing......

All the time with the smoke breaks! They are also against our company policy but we generally allow them. However when I cover for someone on the serving line to "go to the bathroom" and they come back smelling like smoke during a rush it makes me see red. And they wonder why we are harder on them on checkouts...

Yeah most of those fools (no specific group per say) who talk about their rights aren't even referencing anything from the bill of rights. They probably can't site even one. It's annoying to hear them talk about it, like it's such an injustice.

I have a very new one.

People who read a kindle while driving.

Tonight on the expressway I pass a car that can't stay in their lane. As I pass this car the ladies face is all lit up. She's reading or looking at a tablet of some sort. Holding it in place over the horn.

What a Dingbat...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back