This fridge for Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jzamora3

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Homes depot has a deal today. 98 bucks for a 4.4 freezerless Magic chef. Anyone have any luck converting this fridge? I'm looking to make mine a two tap tower.

Also, I know cooling lines are an issue. Is there an online database that would show where to find themail? Or a best method of finding where these lines are afraid?

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Magic-Chef-4-4-cu-ft-Mini-Refrigerator-with-Freezerless-Design-in-Stainless-Steel-HMAR440ST/207169805?MERCH=RV-_-rv_mobileweb_rr-1-_-203425045-_-207169805-_-N

Thank!!

Just bought one to try and convert - will let you know! Should probably work but will have to be careful around the cooling lines like you said.

Just bought one to try and convert - will let you know! Should probably work but will have to be careful around the cooling lines like you said.
I ended up taking it back and finding a bigger Kenmore Mini fridge on Craigslist. The magic chef was going to require "too much" dismantling to make my two kegs fit. Saved myself a headache and 50 bucks with the Kenmore. The new fridge fits my two cornys and my tank with no issues and only minor manipulation of the fridge.

How did your conversion go?

Hi,

I was looking at converting this specific fridge as well for a 2 tap configuration... I measured it out and it looked like it would be a bit small. Have you had any success with your conversion yet Ouroborealis?

I bought one a week ago to use as a fermentation chamber. It's too small to fit 2 5g cornies. I could fit 1 5g and a 3g in it at the same time.
I didn't check for gas bottle fit.
It would make a decent 1 tap kegerator.

We were able to make it work with a couple of Draft Brewer corny-style kegs (which I understand to be a bit wider than most). Had to remove the door panel and carve a bit into the foam insulation but other than that it went pretty smoothly. Didn't run into any cooling lines when drilling for the tower and lines. See the images below:

https://imgur.com/gallery/triX2

KcEZ6P4.jpg

EdcDfRJ.jpg

GCNmYKR.jpg

iDQBwK6.jpg

Looks good Ouroborealis!

Do you think, or have had, any insulation issues when carving into the door like that? I was just wondering if that would have any effect on keeping the beer cold etc.

Thanks for the reply though, It looks really good!

Last edited:
It looks as if it has almost no insulation and you can see the door panel thru the foam. Not ideal but whatever. Probly works fine.

Looks good Ouroborealis!

Do you think, or have had, any insulation issues when carving into the door like that? I was just wondering if that would have any effect on keeping the beer cold etc.

Thanks for the reply though, It looks really good!

Yeah, would have loved for it to be just a touch bigger but we'll live with it. I imagine it'll be a bit less energy efficient with the lost insulation but only time will tell!

We were able to make it work with a couple of Draft Brewer corny-style kegs (which I understand to be a bit wider than most). Had to remove the door panel and carve a bit into the foam insulation but other than that it went pretty smoothly. Didn't run into any cooling lines when drilling for the tower and lines. See the images below:

https://imgur.com/gallery/triX2

KcEZ6P4.jpg

EdcDfRJ.jpg

GCNmYKR.jpg

iDQBwK6.jpg
Looks good! Quick question: was the door panel glued along the entire panel? Or just along the edges?

I first bought a Danby mini-fridge but soon found out it won't maintain a temp lower than 41f. I have since bought a Magic Chef 6.9 freezer and in the process of modding it for my keezer.

Looks good! Quick question: was the door panel glued along the entire panel? Or just along the edges?

It was glued to the entire pane. Seemed like they applied a fairly weak adhesive was applied directly to the foam. It came off pretty cleanly - just go slow. Foam is not overly tacky after the panel was removed.

Hopefully you seen this, Had a Question about Drilling the hole in the top for the tower. How did you go about finding the cooling lines? I have the same fridge, are there any lines in the top? or did you blindly drill your holes? Thanks for the info, if you have any for me :)

Hopefully you seen this, Had a Question about Drilling the hole in the top for the tower. How did you go about finding the cooling lines? I have the same fridge, are there any lines in the top? or did you blindly drill your holes? Thanks for the info, if you have any for me :)

Just bought the same unit myself. Currently have a 5 gallon carboy cold crashing in it without doing anything except removing shelves. Will definitely fit a single corny and Co2 as is as well.

Looks like one poster just went in with a saw bit and didn't hit anything in the top. Once the lager is finished I will install the tower and let you know if there is anything to be concerned about.

It'd be nice if there was more info out there somewhere. This is the first post/article I've seen with this freezerless Magic Chef.

Back