Third all grain batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryghar

Reaction score
So here it goes, my first post after lots and lots of reading on this forum.

I used to make some extract beers in collage but I havnt brewed in about 8 years now. I finally took it up again a couple of months ago.

After an OK extract APA I decided to go all grain. Today I just finished pitching the yeast in my third all grain batch and everything went great. I got a slightly higher OG then the recipe called for (AHS Anniversary English Brown Ale).

My first all grain batch (American IPA) came in well below what the recipe called for. After that one I did a lot of reading here especially the thread about maximizing efficiency in batch sparging. With this new knowledge and better temperature and water volume control my second batch came in just a couple of points low from the specified OG.

I already had to get a second 6 gallon better bottle since the one I had was already full with my 2nd batch (Black IPA from Morebeer).

My next project will be to build a wort cooler. It just takes too long without one. I also want to get a propane burner so I can get away from my glass top stove.

Any suggestions what to make next?

Looks interesting. Does it need bulk ageing or is it more of bottle conditioning thats needed?

So far I have only used dry yeast since I dont have a local store around and I dont want to risk dead yeast in the summer heat in south Texas. Can you recommend a dry yeast for this recipe?

Looks interesting. Does it need bulk ageing or is it more of bottle conditioning thats needed?

So far I have only used dry yeast since I dont have a local store around and I dont want to risk dead yeast in the summer heat in south Texas. Can you recommend a dry yeast for this recipe?

I'd use either 04 or 05. I only use dry yeasts. Depends on if your looking for and English or and American Porter. Is there an American Porter? LOL :mug:

Latest posts

Back