Thinking of making an amber lite beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CatHead

Reaction score
I need to cut a few calories and while looking at recipes I came across Miller Lite Clone in the light hybrid recipe section. It uses Amylase to get the FG down to 1.00 and achieve the lite beer affect. I occasionally buy Michelob Ultra Amber for when I want to cut calories and pretend I am drinking a bigger beer. I was wondering if I took an amber ale recipe and reduced the grains to get a OG around the same as the Miller Lite recipe from above and reduce the hops to the appropriate amounts would I get something similar to the Michelob Ultra Amber. I am only going to make a 2.5 gallon batch to try it out but thought I would run it by the forums to see if there are any ideas. I know it will kill the body and most the flavor but I think it may be nice for when I want a lighter beer with a little more alcohol than some of the low alcohol, low calorie recipes out there, I will be using some of those as well and won't be giving up my regular beers, just supplementing.

Sure I think that will work well. In fact Ill be following this closely to see if there is anyone who has a recipe. I have all the ingredients for that miller lite clone and I might try going a little more amber.

Try adding some flaked grains to the mash, or maybe some corn sugar at the end of the boil. Either will thin the beer out a bit, but not reduced the alcohol.

Back