Thinking of getting a stir plate. Is there any reason to get a brewing stir plate over a lab plate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GarageBrÜr

Reaction score
I really can't seem to discern why I would get one over the other, other than price. Lab plates I can get cheaper and to me, they are just doing the same thing. Am I missing something?

I don't know of any reason to go one way over the other. I haven't seen a lab plate be cheaper than a brewing one though. I have the StirStarter and have been very happy with it.

any reason one would/should consider spending the extra $ for a heated stir plate vs the standard unheated type?

I guess if the location you will be making your starter in doesn't maintain room temperature (70F). I wouldn't spend more for one with heat, as it's simple enough for me to let it sit on the kitchen counter.

I had an old computer, took the fan and magnets and built mine for $7.40. Nuts and bolts, felt pads and a potentiometer. Scrounged the rest. Cigar box, wire, wall brick transformer and polyurethane.

Agreed that heat is unnecessary unless you keep your house really cold.

warm part of this old house in the winter is 60F at night, with the kitchen potentially dropping a couple degrees below that when the overnight temps drop below freezing outside

Next to the furnace? Turn up the heat. Or make a chamber to warm up.

I made a computer fan stirplate.
I had leftover Reflectrix from what I wrap around my BIAB kettle, and made a cylinder that I put around the stirplate and jug, lay a piece on top, plug in a 4w night light bulb inside that area, and use it in the basement all the time with starters.
upload_2018-12-6_15-18-44.png

I made one for myself as well but if you would prefer to purchase one a basic stir plate that you can control the speed will work. You don't need an expensive item to get make a good stater.

Latest posts

Back