Thinking of doing smaller batches need help though

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uofmguy

Reaction score
So I really love variety when it comes to anything, especially beer. Also, 5 gallon batches are just huge. I mean sure, you can give a lot of it away, but still, I want to move onto my next batch, but not until I'm almost done with my current batch's bottles.

The only problem is I haven't heard of anyone really doing this, but theoretically it seems possible.

I guess you could just scale recipes (although it may be hard to scale amt of yeast used), or you could do a 5 gal batch and split it into two batches with slight variations? Also, does anyone know if a normal sized glass carboy or ale pail bucket would work if you were putting less in it? Or is too much head-room a problem?

All comments/suggestions welcome and very much appreciated :mug:

Just a quick addendum, I did just now find a whole bunch of threads for smaller sized batches so I guess I have heard of people doing this haha. Suggestions and comments still very much appreciated though

As you found, lots of people do smaller batches. Check out this thread on 1-gallon batches: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/1-gallon-brewers-unite-311884/

My main setup is for half-barrel batches, but I do 1-gallon test batches. I don't want to make 15 gallons of something I don't like, so I use the smaller batches to hone the recipe and experiment.

I think extract actually makes life easier at small batch size, but there'll be folks who argue both ways. If you're using a tool like BeerSmith, scaling is a breeze regardless of brewing method. It's only slightly more complicated to do by hand.

The larger carboys are ok for primary, and if you're not going to secondary at all, are probably fine throughout. If you're going to secondary for one reason or another, though, it's a lot of empty headspace.

Depending on your batch size, there are lots and lots of options for fermenters.

You don't wanna do small batches in the same carboy. I suggest you invest in a program like beersmith. Its helped me scale and develops 1,2,3,4 and 5 gallon batches.

Latest posts

Back