Thinking about dumping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KozHops

Reaction score
I made Yooper's Dogfish Head 60 Min IPA a few months back. I was really excited about the recipe because 60 is probably my favorite beer. The only problem that I didn't catch was that when I went to my LHBS to get the grains for it I ordered 1 lb of amber malt thinking I'd save some for the next batch. Well they mixed it in with the 2 row and I ended up using the full pound in a 5 gallon batch. The result is a harsh, roasty beer that came out no where near how Yooper designed it. It's been aging for a couple of months but hasnt really changed. I could use the bottles for a couple of new beers I've done so....dump it? Or does that bitter harshness dissipate after a few more months (as will the hop flavor/aroma)?

Thanks. And I will try this recipe again with the right quantities :rockin:

KozHops said:
I made Yooper's Dogfish Head 60 Min IPA a few months back. I was really excited about the recipe because 60 is probably my favorite beer. The only problem that I didn't catch was that when I went to my LHBS to get the grains for it I ordered 1 lb of amber malt thinking I'd save some for the next batch. Well they mixed it in with the 2 row and I ended up using the full pound in a 5 gallon batch. The result is a harsh, roasty beer that came out no where near how Yooper designed it. It's been aging for a couple of months but hasnt really changed. I could use the bottles for a couple of new beers I've done so....dump it? Or does that bitter harshness dissipate after a few more months (as will the hop flavor/aroma)?

Thanks. And I will try this recipe again with the right quantities :rockin:

I just can't imagine dumping it over that... just man up and drink it. Have a barbq or something

You put 14 lbs of grain in there and you're worried that an extra 10 oz has ruined your batch? If there really is something wrong with the beer I think you're looking in the wrong place.

RDWHAHB

I'll go ahead and vote different than everybody else.

I don't throw parties and I love brewing, so if I brew something that isn't as good as something I would pay money for in the store I just dump it. I have way too much beer on hand to drink my way through 5 gallons of beer that is sub par.

I'll go ahead and vote different than everybody else.

I don't throw parties and I love brewing, so if I brew something that isn't as good as something I would pay money for in the store I just dump it. I have way too much beer on hand to drink my way through 5 gallons of beer that is sub par.

man, no one is willing to take free beer off your hands? i have no shortage of people i can pawn beer i don't like off on.

KozHops said:
I've given it to people at work. And they bring it back in to me.

Sounds like there may have been more going on that just an xtra few ounces of amber

The first time I made a dark ale I used a lot of roasty malts and the beer really did taste like a$$. It took about 6 months but then it was probably the best I ever did make. Not sure how it happens but time sure did heal this beer of mine.

So....have patience, you might just have to sit on those bottles 6 months or so and see how things turn out...

you made an amber ale instead of an IPA, and you can't drink it now??? i can't believe the amount of amber is the only thing you screwed up, then.

unless you absolutely need the bottles( which i cant imagine, just go buy :( sum store bought beer 4 more bottles) dont dump. leave it sit. breaking up with a batch is the hardest thing 2 do

man, no one is willing to take free beer off your hands? i have no shortage of people i can pawn beer i don't like off on.

I only know one guy at work who will drink anything non BMC or heineken. He actually loved a batch I dumped. I bottled him a six pack and told him if he wanted anymore he needed to get some growlersm He never did so I dumped it when I needed the room.

Save the dumping for camping in the woods.Let it be.Get drinkin some new craft brew from the store for bottles,let that sucker mellow for a long while if needed.Ive had some pretty unbalanced beers but they dont end up down the drain,I just make a note and learn how to make it better next time.From my short experience roast or harsh tastes always mellow out.For instance i made a pumpkin, well i caramalized the pumpkin by baking it put it in the mash, and after my first taste it was carmalized forward brown,yuk. I know it will mellow out,just a matter of time.I dinnt care for that as the dominate flavor but know it will fade some at least and maybe end up being better than i thought.

Great points. I've made about a dozen all grain batches and havent had any infections or off flavors yet. So naturally my thought was the extra amber malt made that beer harsh. Maybe it was the s-04 or the cane sugar for bottling. The harshness is in the finish so it could be a few things.

Thanks for the input, I'll throw a bbq and stock some away for a few months to see if it changes.

Back