Thinking about a Twinkieweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ao125

Reaction score
Yes... you read that right... Twinkieweizen.

What I'm thinking of, is a wheat beer w/ lactose and vanilla beans... possibly with a "bready" ale yeast. :cross:

Perhaps even with a *tiny* bit of Princess Cake extract.
Princess Cake Flavor - 4 oz.

How do you think this would turn out?

I got to thinking about this the other day when I heard about Hostess going into Chapter 11.

Perhaps something like:

Code:
53% 	7# 0oz - Wheat Malt 
30% 	4# 0oz - Thomas Fawcett Pale 
11% 	1# 8oz - Milk Sugar (Lactose)
4% 	0# 8oz - Rice Hulls
2% 	0# 4oz - Flaked Wheat

60 mins  -  1oz Tettnang
30 mins  -  1oz Tettnang

1 tsp Princess Cake and Cookie Flavoring (flameout)
3 whole vanilla beans (secondary)

Wyeast London Ale

Yes... you read that right... Twinkieweizen.

What I'm thinking of, is a wheat beer w/ lactose and vanilla beans... possibly with a "bready" ale yeast. :cross:

Perhaps even with a *tiny* bit of Princess Cake extract.
Princess Cake Flavor - 4 oz.

How do you think this would turn out?

I got to thinking about this the other day when I heard about Hostess going into Chapter 11.

I hope you realize you can't just propose something this awesome and not actually follow through with it. You're on the hook now.

I recently brewed a Weihenstephaner Dunkel that I klepped from somewhere on the net and modified to a partial mash. It's about half-and-half wheat and pilsen in the grain bill, mashed at 153 and fermented in the low 60s. Honestly, the first word that came to mind when I tried it for the 1st time was "cake."

I don't have much experience on the light side of weizens, but if it's possible to un-darken that recipe without removing the character, I think it'd be a perfect vehicle for vanilla & lactose.

I was talking about this over the weekend. But, a twinkie stout. Similar though lactose, vanilla, and something cake like. Never heard of the cake flavoring before. Perhaps that's the missing link. I heard somebody made an oreo stout but the cookies were a total mess they said. Any suggestions?

I hope you realize you can't just propose something this awesome and not actually follow through with it. You're on the hook now.

I absolutely intend to make something twinkie-esque, as soon as I can nail down a recipe.

I want to make one more "sweet" beer this winter, before I go back into IPA mode for the summer.

I recently brewed a Weihenstephaner Dunkel that I klepped from somewhere on the net and modified to a partial mash...Honestly, the first word that came to mind when I tried it for the 1st time was "cake."...I think it'd be a perfect vehicle for vanilla & lactose.

Hmmmmm... cake you say...

I heard somebody made an oreo stout but the cookies were a total mess they said. Any suggestions?

I'd suggest looking at Slim's Grahamcracker Ale:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f67/slims-graham-cracker-ale-247242/

I'd also suggest not using Oreos, unless you could scrape all the cream off. I have no idea what is in that stuff, but it can't honestly be good for fermentation. Perhaps if you could buy a bag of chocolate cookies in bulk.

I'd want to find something organic though, that doesn't have all of the preservatives.

Actually I meant to say that I didn't want to put something into my beer that would make it a mess...like whole twinkies. But something cake ish. Perhaps that extract. Just thinking out loud

ao125 said:
I'd suggest looking at Slim's Grahamcracker Ale:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f67/slims-graham-cracker-ale-247242/

I'd also suggest not using Oreos, unless you could scrape all the cream off. I have no idea what is in that stuff, but it can't honestly be good for fermentation. Perhaps if you could buy a bag of chocolate cookies in bulk.

I'd want to find something organic though, that doesn't have all of the preservatives.

They sell Oreo crumbs I think.

Back