Thinking about a Belgian IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

logan3825

Reaction score
I recently stopped at a local brewpub that had a Belgiam IPA(The Vintage Brewing Company, Rochambeau) which got me to thinking about making one on my own. I was thinking about 3 possible hop profiles. The first is one I have never done, the second is one I have done but only on a simple APA, the third is one with the same hops as the brewpub.

6lb Gold LME
8oz Carapils
8oz crystal 10L
Wyeast 1214

1.75 oz Pearle 5.4% 60m
2oz Amarillo 6.9% 15m
2oz Amarillo 6.9% 2m

I have never used Pearle or Amarillo so I don't know how they will be together.

1oz Centennial 8.6% 60m
1oz Cascade 5% 15m
1oz Cascade 5% 2m

I will probably up the IBU's to around 60 on that one. Trying to get a little under half of the IBU's from later hop additions.

1oz Sorachi Ace 10% 60m
1oz Sorachi Ace 10% 15m
1oz Sorachi Ace 10% 2m

Have not played around with the hops much on this one. This is the hop used in the original.

Malt bill looks okay, you could switch out the crystal for some belgian aromatic malt. Replace some of the LME with sugar (add at the beginning of boil) 20% isn't too much for the style.

All amarillo works great in a belgian IPA, i'd shoot for around 40-50IBU with a least half of that past the 20 min mark.

Ferment warm (you want a lot of yeast character) and try to get 75%-80% attenuation. You want it dry too. Give it some time to age as well.

Thank you for the response. I guess I will have to wait until things warm up to brew a Belgian.

So drop the Pearle? Does Pearle work with Amarillo in a pale ale?

I've never used perle, but I think it'd be okay.

The main thing is not to make it too bitter. Belgian IPAs are supposed to be a perfect balance of malty-hoppy-yeasty which is what makes them so great.

I've never used perle, but I think it'd be okay.

The main thing is not to make it too bitter. Belgian IPAs are supposed to be a perfect balance of malty-hoppy-yeasty which is what makes them so great.

agreed. most of the ones I didnt like was because they were too bitter. The big bitterness clashes with the belgian yeast. I think because most of the beers were basically belgian tripels, people were bittering it like a IIPA since the abv was over 8%. Problem was, tripels dont have the malt profile to balance that out so it was over done.

I think any of the hop schedules would be fine. I think the first will give you a big citrus punch. The second will be more floral and citrus. The third will be more lemony and grassy.

Replace some of the LME with sugar (add at the beginning of boil) 20% isn't too much for the style.

Not sure I 100% agree with this, wouldn't you want a bit of a thicker malt backbone to balance out the hops? Brewing some sort of Belgian IPA this week on a cake of WLP515, might use 1/2lb of piloncilo but thats about it.

Also - Any thoughts on using all noble hops? Every recipe I see has a blend of American & Noble, or just all American hops. I am not thinking the grapefruit/citrusy flavor would go as well with the yeast profile as something spicy like saaz or tett. Maybe the answer is a 1oz addition of nugget as the bittering hop, and then lots of noble hops at 30/15/0 min

You should still be aiming for 1.012-1.013ish. Same FG for both IPAs and tripels. However, without the malt character of an IPA, that's why you need the ibus to be lower than your standard IPA.

I don't think I will add any sugar unless I was going to go with more extract. I think it will already get low enough with only 6lb LME.

The one I had with Sorachi Ace was 5.8%abv, 1.060 OG and 60 IBU, I think. I will double check this weekend. I don't want the hops to drown out the yeast flavors.

Latest posts

Back