Think you got an infection? Probably not...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fizzycist

Reaction score
I've been brewing for about a year and a half, but since I don't get to brew even once a month I still consider myself a noob.

Well, I made a honey wheat of my own recipe, all-grain, and put it down to ferment. I got busy, so past the 2nd or 3rd day I didn't go down to look at it. I was in the basement doing something else, at about week 3 (normally woulda bottled it by then) and just opened the cabinet I use for a ferm chamber to take a peek. There was a horrific looking film, stringy looking bubbles, all the "classic" signs. I thought the kreusen woulda dropped by then so I assumed infection, got pissed off, and shut it away and ignored it. Last week, about week six, I finally said "Guess I better go pour that out and clean the carboy." I get down there and it's a beautiful gold color and completely clear. No horrific anythings, smells wonderful. I pull a sample and taste it. Light malty flavor with a strong honey hit, gravity tested to 1.008. So I bottled it.

The lesson here? Don't jump to conclusions. What's a few more weeks in the fermentor if you get something great out of it?

I dunno. Sounds like your wort has been infected by yeast. If I were you, I'd dispose by pouring each bottle into a clean glass, and dumping directly into your gullet.

Ooh, good call. I better clear that out as fast as possible. Might need some friends over to help. But I suppose I could let it carb first.

Update on this for the 1 guy who saw the thread (thanks Imnoexpert): this turned out to be the best beer I've made yet. People kept asking for more, the bottles disappeared really quick. Gotta make some more now...

Latest posts

Back