Think O2 cleaner damaged laminate counters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GratefulBear

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone else have this happen? After ever brew session, I wipe down counters with the express idea of removing any oxygen cleaner. However, I may have missed some spots because the laminate surface is pitted now in spots. It looks white/hazy unless the counters are wet, then the spots disappear. Anyone else have this happen? I'm going to try some car wax to fix the spots and protect the entire surface in the future but this was a potentially expensive side effect of brewing...

Yes, PBW and oxyclean both are hard on some counters. Don’t leave it on for any length of time. I like the sound of dilute vinegar wash, but haven’t tried it.

I’ve seen it haze my old garage countertop from the 70‘s. Of course, it was already gouged, burned, and scratched.
You definitely should be able to improve the look with good paste wax.

Good to know about the StarSan. I was definitely more careful with PBW than the StarSan. Vinegar with a lightly abrasive sponge didn't do anything. I'll try some car wax and report back. If I stick with this brewing thing, I may have to look into stainless countertops

i have used 90% generic alcohol and backing soda make a paste and let it sit and dry but that's for lifting stains from stone.

the laminate surface is pitted now in spots. It looks white/hazy
Can you perhaps post a picture showing that?

I've been around laminate countertops for many years, and never saw anything like that. I've found them pretty much indestructible.
Maybe (some of) newer laminates are more sensitive to chemical exposure than older ones?

Latest posts

Back