Things that remind you that you're getting old...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcbaumannerb

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I was working and listening to Spotify when Kodachrome by Paul Simon came on. That got me thinking that most kids high school age and under probably have no idea what photographic film is, let alone Kodachrome. Then I got nostalgic to when I first heard this song after checking the "There Goes Rhymin' Simon" vinyl from the library. Ooops - there's yet another reminder. How old do you have to be to know what a vinyl record is? Sigh.

I always thought this affliction was unique for my parents, but now I have it! :eek:

I would say that it is possible that current college freshmen have never used a camera with film. Many may know what film is but have no practical exposure to it. the CD or compact disc was invented in the mid to late 70's and was commercially available in 1982. So again I would say that college freshman have no practical experience with vinyl. I am fairly confident of this as my granddaughter is a current college freshmen and knows what these things are but has no practical experience with them.
I get nostalgic remembering where I was when I heard JFK was assassinated and when I think about watching men walk on the moon live on television. Then get real sentimental when I remember that TV used to be monochrome only.
So vinyl and film are just recent departures.

I'm almost 27 and know who Paul Simon is. I actually have a decent record collection too. Records actually are making a comeback or were recently... I do agree, though that someone who is 18 or less might not know as much...

I still have cameras in which I used kodachrome & vertichrome pan film. I have a Chinon Super 8 film camera with a very good lense. It's so finely ground,It can pick up the water droplets in morning mist.
I still have some 1,400' of film I shot about the mound builders here in Ohio.
Also have a bunch of LP's Kiss,Jimi Hendrix,Heart,...Even Charlie Ryan's "hot rod lincoln drags again" from 1961! I still remember tyhe dawn of the muscle car era & the space age. Sputnik was what got America going on beating the russians to the moon. Yuri Gagarin being the first man in space. Frendship7 with our senator John Glen whom I met in engine plant 1 once. The begining of motown's popularity. Me & my brother new & partied with Joe Walsh when he was still in "The James Gang" around Elyria,Cleveland area.

Too many to list. Seems like every time I turn around something reminds me of the way it used to be. Hard to imagine we could go to the store without a phone in our pocket. Can you believe we used to go on VACATIONS and sometimes be DAYS without phone access??

I'm 30 so I'm in that "in-betweener" generation that grew up without the Internet and cell phones but were introduced to them in junior high and high school. I used the Internet a lot during high school, but didn't get a cell phone until college, and rarely used it. I'm still one of the few people with a dumb-phone. I used a camera with film until about 2005 when I got my first digital camera. The first batch of digi-cams were underwhelming and very expensive. I didn't get an MP3 player until the Zune came out in 2007 (yeah, I know, the Zune...lol) and I haven't bought a CD in I don't know how many years. I did listen to my parent's vinyl collection when I was a kid, they had an impressive collection from the 60's and 70's.

I see no reason not to embrace technology, so far as you don't let it control you. The Manti Teo thing that happened recently tells me that technology is going to have a controlling effect on the younger kids, because they've never lived in a world without it. I can't imagine having a "girlfriend" that I had never met, touched, kissed, etc. It's unfathomable to me, but apparently it's pretty normal these days for anyone under 22 or so.

</sober_rambling>

When I think back at all the crap I learned in high school.

Kids know vinyl from its cliched use by hip-hop bands and djs.
Beloit College puts out a list every year to remind professors what is new an special about the entering class. This year's (fall 2012) list:

1.Harry Potter could be a classmate, playing on their Quidditch team.
2.Since they were in diapers, karaoke machines have been annoying people at parties.
3.They have always been looking for Carmen Sandiego.
4.GPS satellite navigation systems have always been available.
5.Coke and Pepsi have always used recycled plastic bottles.
6.Shampoo and conditioner have always been available in the same bottle.
7.Gas stations have never fixed flats, but most serve cappuccino.
8.Their parents may have dropped them in shock when they heard George Bush announce &#8220;tax revenue increases.&#8221;
9.Electronic filing of tax returns has always been an option.
10.Girls in head scarves have always been part of the school fashion scene.
11.All have had a relative--or known about a friend's relative--who died comfortably at home with Hospice.
12.As a precursor to &#8220;whatever,&#8221; they have recognized that some people &#8220;just don&#8217;t get it.&#8221;
13.Universal Studios has always offered an alternative to Mickey in Orlando.
14.Grandma has always had wheels on her walker.
15.Martha Stewart Living has always been setting the style.
16.Haagen-Dazs ice cream has always come in quarts.
17.Club Med resorts have always been places to take the whole family.
18.WWW has never stood for World Wide Wrestling.
19.Films have never been X rated, only NC-17.
20.The Warsaw Pact is as hazy for them as the League of Nations was for their parents.
21.Students have always been "Rocking the Vote.&#8221;
22.Clarence Thomas has always sat on the Supreme Court.
23.Schools have always been concerned about multiculturalism.
24.We have always known that &#8220;All I Ever Really Needed to Know I Learned in Kindergarten.&#8221;
25.There have always been gay rabbis.
26.Wayne Newton has never had a mustache.
27.College grads have always been able to Teach for America.
28.IBM has never made typewriters.
29.Roseanne Barr has never been invited to sing the National Anthem again.
30.McDonald&#8217;s and Burger King have always used vegetable oil for cooking french fries.
31.They have never been able to color a tree using a raw umber Crayola.
32.There has always been Pearl Jam.
33.The Tonight Show has always been hosted by Jay Leno and started at 11:35 EST.
34.Pee-Wee has never been in his playhouse during the day.
35.They never tasted Benefit Cereal with psyllium.
36.They may have been given a Nintendo Game Boy to play with in the crib.
37.Authorities have always been building a wall along the Mexican border.
38.Lenin&#8217;s name has never been on a major city in Russia.
39.Employers have always been able to do credit checks on employees.
40.Balsamic vinegar has always been available in the U.S.
41.Macaulay Culkin has always been Home Alone.
42.Their parents may have watched The American Gladiators on TV the day they were born.
43.Personal privacy has always been threatened.
44.Caller ID has always been available on phones.
45.Living wills have always been asked for at hospital check-ins.
46.The Green Bay Packers (almost) always had the same starting quarterback.
47.They never heard an attendant ask &#8220;Want me to check under the hood?&#8221;
48.Iced tea has always come in cans and bottles.
49.Soft drink refills have always been free.
50.They have never known life without Seinfeld references from a show about &#8220;nothing.&#8221;
51.Windows 3.0 operating system made IBM PCs user-friendly the year they were born.
52.Muscovites have always been able to buy Big Macs.
53.The Royal New Zealand Navy has never been permitted a daily ration of rum.
54.The Hubble Space Telescope has always been eavesdropping on the heavens.
55.98.6 F or otherwise has always been confirmed in the ear.
56.Michael Milken has always been a philanthropist promoting prostate cancer research.
57.Off-shore oil drilling in the United States has always been prohibited.
58.Radio stations have never been required to present both sides of public issues.
59.There have always been charter schools.
60.Students always had Goosebumps.

My friends son called him in a panic when the remote wouldn't unlock the car door. My friend had to tell him to put the key in the door...that was the first time I felt old.

I think about vinyl, 8 tracks, rotary phones, jiffy pop popcorn with the expanding aluminum foil, manually rolling up car windows, paper maps in the car that we actually used daily, fighting over who had to get up to change the TV channel (from the 5 channels we had, thanks to the antennae in the attic), phones with cords, etc.

Pretty cool how far we have come, but does make me feel old.

When I think back at all the crap I learned in high school.

Kids know vinyl from its cliched use by hip-hop bands and djs.
Beloit College puts out a list every year to remind professors what is new an special about the entering class. This year's (fall 2012) list:

1.Harry Potter could be a classmate, playing on their Quidditch team.
2.Since they were in diapers, karaoke machines have been annoying people at parties.
3.They have always been looking for Carmen Sandiego.
4.GPS satellite navigation systems have always been available.
5.Coke and Pepsi have always used recycled plastic bottles.
6.Shampoo and conditioner have always been available in the same bottle.
7.Gas stations have never fixed flats, but most serve cappuccino.
8.Their parents may have dropped them in shock when they heard George Bush announce “tax revenue increases.”
9.Electronic filing of tax returns has always been an option.
10.Girls in head scarves have always been part of the school fashion scene.
11.All have had a relative--or known about a friend's relative--who died comfortably at home with Hospice.
12.As a precursor to “whatever,” they have recognized that some people “just don’t get it.”
13.Universal Studios has always offered an alternative to Mickey in Orlando.
14.Grandma has always had wheels on her walker.
15.Martha Stewart Living has always been setting the style.
16.Haagen-Dazs ice cream has always come in quarts.
17.Club Med resorts have always been places to take the whole family.
18.WWW has never stood for World Wide Wrestling.
19.Films have never been X rated, only NC-17.
20.The Warsaw Pact is as hazy for them as the League of Nations was for their parents.
21.Students have always been "Rocking the Vote.”
22.Clarence Thomas has always sat on the Supreme Court.
23.Schools have always been concerned about multiculturalism.
24.We have always known that “All I Ever Really Needed to Know I Learned in Kindergarten.”
25.There have always been gay rabbis.
26.Wayne Newton has never had a mustache.
27.College grads have always been able to Teach for America.
28.IBM has never made typewriters.
29.Roseanne Barr has never been invited to sing the National Anthem again.
30.McDonald’s and Burger King have always used vegetable oil for cooking french fries.
31.They have never been able to color a tree using a raw umber Crayola.
32.There has always been Pearl Jam.
33.The Tonight Show has always been hosted by Jay Leno and started at 11:35 EST.
34.Pee-Wee has never been in his playhouse during the day.
35.They never tasted Benefit Cereal with psyllium.
36.They may have been given a Nintendo Game Boy to play with in the crib.
37.Authorities have always been building a wall along the Mexican border.
38.Lenin’s name has never been on a major city in Russia.
39.Employers have always been able to do credit checks on employees.
40.Balsamic vinegar has always been available in the U.S.
41.Macaulay Culkin has always been Home Alone.
42.Their parents may have watched The American Gladiators on TV the day they were born.
43.Personal privacy has always been threatened.
44.Caller ID has always been available on phones.
45.Living wills have always been asked for at hospital check-ins.
46.The Green Bay Packers (almost) always had the same starting quarterback.
47.They never heard an attendant ask “Want me to check under the hood?”
48.Iced tea has always come in cans and bottles.
49.Soft drink refills have always been free.
50.They have never known life without Seinfeld references from a show about “nothing.”
51.Windows 3.0 operating system made IBM PCs user-friendly the year they were born.
52.Muscovites have always been able to buy Big Macs.
53.The Royal New Zealand Navy has never been permitted a daily ration of rum.
54.The Hubble Space Telescope has always been eavesdropping on the heavens.
55.98.6 F or otherwise has always been confirmed in the ear.
56.Michael Milken has always been a philanthropist promoting prostate cancer research.
57.Off-shore oil drilling in the United States has always been prohibited.
58.Radio stations have never been required to present both sides of public issues.
59.There have always been charter schools.
60.Students always had Goosebumps.

This list makes me feel ancient :(

Wait, that can't be real? For starters, my first car didn't have any fancy smancy remote unlocking. I had to wait til I had a real job to get a fancy smancy car. So I guess my perspective is different. But honestly, someone doesn't know you can unlock your car with keys? Wowzers.

BTW I still love rotary phones. They're so fun to play with.

hoppyhoppyhippo said:
Wait, that can't be real? For starters, my first car didn't have any fancy smancy remote unlocking. I had to wait til I had a real job to get a fancy smancy car. So I guess my perspective is different. But honestly, someone doesn't know you can unlock your car with keys? Wowzers.

BTW I still love rotary phones. They're so fun to play with.

Yep, it is true. Of course, his kid would drive the family cars, so he never owned a "beater" like a lot of our first cars.

And i think about how much more we had than our parents...so i am not complaining. Technology has grown exponentially, so it just seems more drastic.

So I'm watching the original broadcast of an early NCIS episode with my family. It's the first episode that features Donald "Ducky" Mallard. Immediately before the first commercial break:
DiNozzo: What was Ducky like when he was younger?
Gibbs: Illya Kuriakin.
[Break]

I spit out my beer with a guffaw.

And all four of my family turned to me, and one voiced their unified thought:
What's so funny?

When the gorgeous waitress at the restaurant calls me 'sir'. Argh...like a knife right in my pacemaker...(I don't really have a pacemaker)

I think about vinyl, 8 tracks, rotary phones, jiffy pop popcorn with the expanding aluminum foil, manually rolling up car windows, paper maps in the car that we actually used daily, fighting over who had to get up to change the TV channel (from the 5 channels we had, thanks to the antennae in the attic), phones with cords, etc.

Pretty cool how far we have come, but does make me feel old.

When honeydo projects are done for the year, I plan on purging the garage of all junk and converting it over to the proverbial man cave. Only now i've been inspired to turn it into a retro man cave. I want all of my decor, furniture and chachkis to be from the 1970's and the early 1980's, my era. Total retro man cave.

Billy Dee Williams Colt 45 beer sign & Farah Fawcett centerfold poster
Pool table
Homebrew kegerator
Avocado green rotary phone
Working console stereo system with turntable, 8 track and cassette (no CD's).
MAME cabinet powered by coinOP modded 1st gen. xbox
etc.

When honeydo projects are done for the year, I plan on purging the garage of all junk and converting it over to the proverbial man cave. Only now i've been inspired to turn it into a retro man cave. I want all of my decor, furniture and chachkis to be from the 1970's and the early 1980's, my era. Total retro man cave.

Billy Dee Williams Colt 45 beer sign & Farah Fawcett centerfold poster
Pool table
Homebrew kegerator
Avocado green rotary phone
Working console stereo system with turntable, 8 track and cassette (no CD's).
MAME cabinet powered by coinOP modded 1st gen. xbox
etc.

I think you'll also need an NES hooked up to a 12" TV too!

I'm so old that when I went to high school, we didn't have a history class.

dog-d5be9658626f2cac2c0e612e10a5bf69.jpg

rain_small.gif

I've never had a vehicle with remote unlock, and 3 weeks ago I got my first smart phone. My back hurts often, and my right knee clicks when going up stairs. I see kids these days and just shake my head.... I'm 24. I'm too old for my age.

Sometimes the kids laugh when I mention watching "Fireball XL-5" back in 1961. Traveling to other planets was just a dream back then. They can't understand my facination with pics & such from alien worlds nowadays.

my joints ache. my hair is thinning, receding, and starting to turn grey. some of my tattoos are fading. my back hurts. I avoid situations that could lead to a fight. I'm slowly going blind. I'm about half deaf. I walk like an old man. I'm constantly playing hacky sack with my nuts when I walk around in my boxers. I prefer soft foods on account of my false teeth. I catch myself shaking my fist at people I think are driving by too fast. I groan when I sit down. I groan when I stand up. I whine about confounded new technology.

only one of these is an exaggeration.

I recently found one of my mix tapes recorded off of the radio

This. I asked my kid (15 yrs old) if she has ever played a tape in a tape deck. I got the deer in the headlights look.

Then I told her about when you had to wait for the top 5 at 5 to record your favorite song. Then, if you were lucky, you had the double tape deck where you cold record one tape to another to give to a buddy. She was clueless. "Why didnt you just download it"

SMH

Hearing Achtung Baby on the retro flashback lunch show on the radio.

Explaining to my Star Wars-fan nieces that, when I saw Empire/Jedi in the theater, we had to wait a few years for VCRs to be invented (well, not really) before we could see it again. They can't imagine a world where you don't get to see a movie in the theater and then watch it at home 6 months later.

They can't imagine a world where you don't get to see a movie in the theater and then watch it at home 6 months later.
See how old you are? If you weren't you'd know how to download it before it got into the theater!

This. I asked my kid (15 yrs old) if she has ever played a tape in a tape deck. I got the deer in the headlights look.

Then I told her about when you had to wait for the top 5 at 5 to record your favorite song. Then, if you were lucky, you had the double tape deck where you cold record one tape to another to give to a buddy. She was clueless. "Why didnt you just download it"

SMH

know the feeling. saw this the other day
tumblr_lx54othdIK1qi7w67o1_500.jpg

started to laugh, then i realized what the connection was between the connection of these two objects and me.

sigh.

b

SMH

Yes, and the heartbreak when the DJ would talk over the beginning or end of the song you had waited all night to record. They have no idea how hard we had it.

Back