Things I Hate about Homebrewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewing is a hobby for me the money doesn't matter to me.
If the op doesn't like other brewers why come here or hang out with them? Are there snotty know it all brewers out there? Yea, but I don't associate with them.

Expensive equipment doesn't make better beer, technique does and that doesn't really cost much. If you are a couple of years into brewing and/or brew a few times a year your equipment costs per batch are high. But if you brew long and often enough those costs become minimal. I've brewed at least 100 10 or 15 gallon batches so the $750 I spent to build a 3 tiered system is minimal per 5 gallons of beer. And building stuff to brew with is a major source of enjoyment for me. What costs me tons of money is traveling to exotic places to drink the local beer fresh at it's source.

As for cost, grain is cheap enough, esp in bulk. Yeast can be cheap or reused. But how are you guys brewing $15 batches when hops cost $2/oz?

I bought a pound of Willamette a whole back, which allowed me to make some cheap beers. Without that,, it would add $5 per batch for hops. And Willamette is cheap.

Yeah - hops are really about the most expensive thing.... even in bulk. Gotta buy by the pound and store in vaccuum packed glass jars in freezer (or similar method) to put a dent in those hop costs. You can get great hops for $6-$15 a pound. You can even get "expensive" hard to find hops for $20-$22 a pound.... that is a key. But, even then, if you are dumping 12-16 ounces of hops in a batch, it is pretty much impossible to make a $15 batch.

I generally buy 20 lbs or so in 1 lb Hop Union bags from my LHBS each december..... Lasts me the year...... and I brew a lot (50+ batches).

If you are a couple of years into brewing and/or brew a few times a year your equipment costs per batch are high. But if you brew long and often enough those costs become minimal. I've brewed at least 100 10 or 15 gallon batches so the $750 I spent to build a 3 tiered system is minimal per 5 gallons of beer.

Yep - I do this math too:)

I agree that you don't need expensive equipment to brew good beer. That said, I did buy a MoreBeer 3 tier 5 gallon (10 gallon pots) system over 15 years ago..... I think it was like $1200-$1300 at the time. Free shipping, Free 50lb bag of grain. Seemed like a lot of money at the time....... but looking back, less than $100 per year and it has probably provided more enjoyment for me than any other "thing" I have ever purchased. Pretty small price when compared to hours of enjoyment I have gotten from it. I spend more than I need to on brewing....... and I don't care. It makes me happy, it is my ONE hobby that I spend money on. I know for a fact that I will get my "money's worth" out of whatever I buy in enjoyment and relaxation.

Everybody brews for different reasons, with different goals and priorities. I agree with Yooper's sentiments earlier - In general, it is hard to beat homebrewers for their attitudes, helpfulness, good temper, etc.

I sometimes brew while I'm doing other things (including working), which is ok if you time things right. So it's not like you are spending 5-8 hours dedicated to watching a pot boil.

Same as cooking a roast. 10 minutes of active time followed by hours of waiting.

As for cost, grain is cheap enough, esp in bulk. Yeast can be cheap or reused. But how are you guys brewing $15 batches when hops cost $2/oz?

I bought a pound of Willamette a whole back, which allowed me to make some cheap beers. Without that,, it would add $5 per batch for hops. And Willamette is cheap.
Not if you buy by the pound. For me it's close to $1/ounce that way. Vacuum sealer bags are your friend.

I look at that part as an investment. Once I've made that investment sure I can make cheaper beer than buying it. But to me it really doesn't ever cross my mind. That's why its a hobby, a way I really enjoy spending my time. Time alone and with my fiancee, time to forget about being stressed about job perfection and missing budgets and all that other crap. When you get stressed about all that stuff what's the point?????

and remember, most of us BUILD our equipment.. saving even more $$$.
I mostly make Belgians.. Chimay blue is 15.99 for the corked bottle here in PA. I have been brewing for a few years now and all I can say is.. cha-ching!!
I know I saved money. Cheap setup coolers.. copper pipe.. LP converted to natural gas, dual in-line water filters, Chinook & Willamette growing in the back yard... list goes on. I got into homebrewing to save money.. Pennsylvania liquor tax is an outrage!! I refuse to pay it. unless I go out with some buddies.. then I support local breweries like yuengling, and Weyerbacher.

The thing to remember is that this is a hobby. It is also whatever YOU want to make of it and no one can fault you for that just like you can't legitimately fault them for doing it completely different. Frankly that's why this community is so great. We all have different ways and they are all great for us individually. No one is going to come to my house and force me to brew a decoction.

Although it would be hilarious if that did happen.

Chill out.

5. People who use the cost savings to justify their brewing beer. Brewing your own beer WELL does not save you money...

So what your saying is if someone doesn't drop thousands of dollars on this hobby like you they obviously can't brew beer "WELL"?

1. Those homebrewers who denounce a process because it didn't work for them. ie) "I get nothing out of decoction mashing so therefore it must be crap."

:confused:

5. People who use the cost savings to justify their brewing beer. Brewing your own beer WELL does not save you money.

Bull. I can brew an excellent case of 22 oz bombers for $25. Try buying 24 bombers for that. You are going to spend on average, $6 per bomber, or $144 dollars.

Troll.

I agree. All you have to do is eat that one $500 batch of IPA once in a while (what we don't amortize our capital expenses??)

Double-troll

So, you've been part of this forum since May of 2012, but haven't participated much. Probably gained a ton of insight, but this is how you lash out at the entire community? Don't know what made you think hitting the submit button on this thread was a noble idea.

So, you've been part of this forum since May of 2012, but haven't participated much. Probably gained a ton of insight, but this is how you lash out at the entire community? Don't know what made you think hitting the submit button on this thread was a noble idea.

You're right...I have gained a ton of insight from this forum and others but that doesn't mean I can't have an opinion on the quality of homebrew out there. People must care what I have to say if this post is on its 6th page. If what I was saying was meaningless there wouldn't be so much discussion.

Also, did I ever say what I was doing was "noble?"

5. People who use the cost savings to justify their brewing beer. Brewing your own beer WELL does not save you money. Besides, what is wrong with buying great commerical beer, there are lots of breweries doing great stuff and they should be supported. We brew beer because it's fun, not because we're saving anything...time certainly isn't one of them.

Did any of you read the whole paragraph? Apparently not.

People must care what I have to say if this post is on its 6th page. If what I was saying was meaningless there wouldn't be so much discussion.

Don't confuse successful trolling with inspiration of meaningful conversation. You've done the first, not even remotely anything close to the second.

I was gonna read the entire thread, but then I was all like "flocc that, son!" and skipped to the last page and started posting like a champ without reading any more posts. put that in your pipe smoking thread and smoke it.

my big gripe with the colony of home brewers is #7. but it's not overly proud, it's arrogant. win some awards? good for you! I'm happy for you. acting like you're a brewing god because of it? just don't talk to me. I've brewed good & great beer. but just like the tough guys, there's always gonna be someone better than you.

You're right...I have gained a ton of insight from this forum and others but that doesn't mean I can't have an opinion on the quality of homebrew out there. People must care what I have to say if this post is on its 6th page. If what I was saying was meaningless there wouldn't be so much discussion.

Also, did I ever say what I was doing was "noble?"

Strawman response.

No one said you couldn't have an opinion. What some are questioning is the judgement used in voicing that opinion, particularly in this forum.

Also, multiple pages of people essentially saying that you come across as a horses-arse doesn't validate your thesis. In fact, it does quite the opposite.

Sounds to me like he struck some nerves. While not the most eloquent of posts,I dig what he's getting at. Everytime you try to roll with the punches, you get knocked on the ground, by all this BS goin' down! Time is truly wastin'...

I don't have much to add, but I would like to leave you with a quote that strikes pretty near to the core of what makes homebrewing so appealing to me:

"Beer has long been the prime lubricant in our social intercourse and the sacred throat-anointing fluid that accompanies the ritual of mateship. To sink a few cold ones with the blokes is both an escape and a confirmation of belonging." ~ Rennie Ellis

Admittedly, the quote speaks more to the consumption of beer than the creation of beer, yet the sentiment holds true.

Haven't experienced much of the list myself but will also chime in on the infamous #5. Not entirely true at all. Look at the ~$100 starter kit to get the barebones equipment needed, then $15-20 for those dreaded pre-hopped extract kits. Each yields about 48-60 bottles. Based on cheap beer in these parts going for $1 each, that works out to about $30 savings per batch. Equipment pays for itself in 3 batches, then you start the real savings in pocket. I've had some perfectly fine "Basement temperature fermented ale" over the past few years.

This was my game plan when I started, but got bit by the brewing bug and fell into the craft entirely with no possibility of escape. I failed. Though I think I will break even (or save money) should I actually have some self control and stop buying equipment.

The cost savings has been debated quite a bit, but homebrewing will save you money and you will be making beer as good as commercial examples if you play your cards right. I made it my business and it's definitely paid off, too.

I agree with the OP, but I think the biggest thing is that homebrewers can be totally oblivious and arrogant when it comes to their practices. I was pretty guilty of this myself. For example, no, you don't have to "lager" your marzen for 4 months. Most commercial beer is brewed and pushed out the door, and extended aging times are typically a cover for bad, sloppy fermentations. I used to think it took a lot of time to make bigger styles, but in reality my beer was sub-par. Sure, some benefit from aging, but the only beers I age at the brewery are true sours and some brets because it is absolutely necessary.

I exercised a little restraint after getting all the little gadgets that make brewing easier & quicker. Then traded a member in Wyoming my large stash of Cooper's PET bottles & some new caps for his 6G BB he wasn't really using anymore. All I need now is an elastic belt to strap 3 or 4 of the refrigerant gel packs to the fermenter under a tee shirt to cool them during initial fermentation. I save the gel packs in the freezer from every liquid yeast I order. I save the White Labs tubes too. Using everything you can any way it'll work is always a bonus. Everything really does work if ya let it! :mug:

The OP does have some valid points on his list. That's all I'm going to say about it.

Agreed.

Some of the responses to this thread are what I don't like about reading threads on HBT. Something I see lot of is people getting offended by nothing and then telling the other person to chill out to take it easy.

Agreed.

Some of the responses to this thread are what I don't like about reading threads on HBT. Something I see lot of is people getting offended by nothing and then telling the other person to chill out to take it easy.

I don't think reading any of this is particularly fun, because honestly I don't feel like it belongs here. I become painfully aware that things are not as copacetic as I would want them to be.

What this thread is really about is that we would all be better off to be polite to one another... I mean... what the thread is really about besides the classic debate over whether or not you can spend less money making quality beer than buying quality beer.

I don't think reading any of this is particularly fun, because honestly I don't feel like it belongs here. I become painfully aware that things are not as copacetic as I would want them to be.

What this thread is really about is that we would all be better off to be polite to one another... I mean... what the thread is really about besides the classic debate over whether or not you can spend less money making quality beer than buying quality beer.

The thread, as I intended it to be was supposed to be about things that are troublesome in the homebrewing world, at least to me. People really seem to harp on about the savings from homebrewing but these arguments don't hold water.

Homebrewers seem to be very proud of the fact that they can brew beer at a fraction of the cost of commerical beer. I won't go into the math of it because others have done that but why is this such a contentious point? Is it really so gratifying to go into the beverage store and look at a 6 pack and say "I can do that cheaper?"

I will restate my earlier point since it has been lost amid all of the anger "We brew because it's fun!" Not because we can buy the same thing around the corner or to tell our neighbor that hey "this costs $0.50 a pint to make."

Quality should be the most important marker for a homebrewer, not cost, not metals (although they come with quality), and most certainly not showing up the next guy.

The thread, as I intended it to be was supposed to be about things that are troublesome in the homebrewing world, at least to me. People really seem to harp on about the savings from homebrewing but these arguments don't hold water.

Homebrewers seem to be very proud of the fact that they can brew beer at a fraction of the cost of commerical beer. I won't go into the math of it because others have done that but why is this such a contentious point? Is it really so gratifying to go into the beverage store and look at a 6 pack and say "I can do that cheaper?"

I will restate my earlier point since it has been lost amid all of the anger "We brew because it's fun!" Not because we can buy the same thing around the corner or to tell our neighbor that hey "this costs $0.50 a pint to make."

Quality should be the most important marker for a homebrewer, not cost, not metals (although they come with quality), and most certainly not showing up the next guy.

Quality should be the most important marker if your a pro. Relaxing and enjoying what you do should be most important if its a hobby. Why would you want to turn a hobby into stress??

Well it sounds like you have some interesting opinions. That's something you share in common with everyone on this forum. There isn't always a "right way" or "wrong way" to do or consider something, but there is always a polite way to convey it.

Perhaps you wouldn't be as irritated if people said things like
"well, I take 4 months to lager my beer... but I'm glad you seem to get positive results"
or
"Money's tight, but brewing cream ales keeps me enjoying decent homebrew on the cheap! Does any one know other ways to save and produce good beer?"

I travel for my job, and meet homebrewers all around the country. From my anecdotal experience, they're friendly, sharing, great people.

Homebrewing isn't about any one thing, it is what each brewer wants to make it.

Most of the top brewers in the US started as homebrewers, are they all overbearing and annoying too? In my experience, just the opposite.

Maybe homebrewer forums aren't your thing.

I guess it's a matter of taste, to me offering sincere criticism is copacetic. Clearly stating your opinion (What I hate is the following...) is polite.

I wish I could get together with homeberwers more often. There aren't that many here. Sure that often involves drinking some bad beer but it's free and I try to be as nice and be helpful as I can. It's really hard when people serve up bad beer and are not willing to discus it's flaws. I'm just trying to be helpful but that can come off as condescending. It's a tough balance but worth it.

Things-i-hate-vandalism-irony-lists.png

Homebrewers get too passionate over minor details (myself included) and the conversation finds itself in weird spots, especially when non-homebrewers are around.

I love the hobby of homebrewing more than any other activity but sometimes it can get kind of overbearing and downright annoying. For that reason I've decided to compile a list of the things I hate about homebrewers in no particular order .Really my only goal is get people to think about their brewing and beer. This is just a list of things I've noticed by reading countless brewing forums and going to homebrew events.

1. Those homebrewers who denounce a process because it didn't work for them. ie) "I get nothing out of decoction mashing so therefore it must be crap."

2. Going to an event where homebrewers are pouring their beer and much of it is oxidized, too estery, or tastes like rocket fuel.

3. Those homebrewers who put just about anything into their beer and think it's awesome. I mean Sam Calagione has built a brewery on putting any random **** into his beer but that doesn't mean everybody should. I've had one too many Olive IPA's to think putting any odd thing into a beer is a good beer.

4. People who have had "great" results by brewing a certain way and therefore this process must work for everyone. ie) "I fermented my saison in my hot Texas shed for 90 days and it tastes amazing, THIS is the way to make a saison."

5. People who use the cost savings to justify their brewing beer. Brewing your own beer WELL does not save you money. Besides, what is wrong with buying great commerical beer, there are lots of breweries doing great stuff and they should be supported. We brew beer because it's fun, not because we're saving anything...time certainly isn't one of them.

6. Homebrewers who focus all of their attention on making a batch of wort but then underpitch, don't oxygenate, ferment at 100 degrees and then ask why their beer sucks.

7. Overly proud homebrewers...just because you won a ribbon or everyone loves your beer doesn't mean you're the end all or be all of homebrewing.

I am by no means an expert homebrewer but sometimes I just get pissed off by how our hobby conducts itself. Feel free to call me an idiot, POS, or any other name...or to add to this list.

I don't think you're an idiot, a POS, or any other name. However, I think you're reflecting your self view into your list of "hates." You hate those that say something doesn't work because it doesn't work for them (1) while also hating those that say if something works from them it, therefore, must work for everyone (4). You also say that you hate homebrewers that think their "weird" beer is awesome when you don't like it (3) and that you hate someone who has a high opinion of their abilities as judged in beer competition (7).

You're basically saying you hate brewers that have strong opinions about anything homebrewing related, but this whole list only reflects your strongly held opinions about homebrewing. Either you're reflecting your self hate onto a group you strongly associate your self image with, to the point of taking "homebrew" as your screen-name and base identifying trade on a homebrewing forum, and/or you strongly dislike anyone who displays similar traits to yourself.

Holding so much self loathing in until you have to vent in an, arguably, public forum, is really bad for your personal actualization and growth, both short and long term. It might be time to talk with someone in a professional manner about your anger. Life is too short to let such things affect you so.

relax.jpg

Latest posts

Back