Things could get wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hwb3

Reaction score
Just getting my feet wet in home brewing with a Mr Beer kit. Would like to get into brewing a little more,could use more info on getting started. Thanks

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply! I'll look for the book and start looking for what I'll need.

Once you've read some, you will need to decide what volume you want to brew. Then whether you want to brew with extract, all-grain, or partial mash. Then details of what set-up you want. There are lots of variations within all-grain, and some variations within extract and partial mash. Good luck.

As ncbrewer said, there are a lot of variations. You also need to evaluate how much time and money you want to invest, as this will also move you to a desired brew method. Good luck!

Except for 1 gallon batches, they're just not wort the time ;)
As ncbrewer said, there are a lot of variations. You also need to evaluate how much time and money you want to invest, as this will also move you to a desired brew method. Good luck!
Well I'm retired so I have the time, no house payments guess I'll have some $ to invest

A carboy is a heavy, slippery glass vessel secretly sold by a shadowy cabal of emergency room doctors. I recommend avoiding them!
Glass carboys or er doctors? What would be better than glass?

Well, I’m joking around, but a lot of people regret using glass vessels. You can get PET plastic fermentation vessels which are lighter and safer. Glass IS easier to clean, though.

You'll get no arguments from me,I know nothing about this adventure. Besides we will both end up agreeing that I am right. I think

I was also jesting to a certain extent. I think most folks would agree stainless steel is perhaps the best, but all three (Plastic, glass and SS) have their unique advantages. I'm not sure what the ancients used.

I guess I will check out stainless steel. It wlll last longer and be lighter. Probably will cost a little more but they will be WORTh it. Going to start my Mr Beer kit tonight,they sent me Golden Ale , I also bought an Irish Stout refill pack. I like Guinness beers and hope this comes close to it. So here goes,I'll let you know how it goes.

I'd rather have more fermenters than fancier fermenters, so for me plastic has the right tradeoffs. They don't last forever but they do last a long time, and when they eventually do get too scratched up to sanitize they still work for sours. Same goes for buckets. Knowing my luck, I wouldn't use glass carboys if they were giving them away.

I think you have me convinced to go plastic, checked out 5gallon price, ouch . Plus the things you suggested are pretty good another thing you could use them as a container for growing all kinds of plants. Learning a little at a time, from posts like this

Latest posts

Back