Things about your co-workers that annoy you

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haha, I know I try to not be that person when having to contact something tech support because I know you guys deal with a lot of frustrations each day. I work a night shift, so unless a failure is catastrophic and affects a lot of important things, it waits until morning. By then I've usually fixed it because I'm bored. My support guys at least know if I submit a tech ticket, then I've done everything I know to solve it. And I provide them a detailed report of exactly what I did and how the computer/printer/etc. reacted. Much better than "it doesn't work".

So many piddly little problems happen with computers where I work. Most seem like they can be fixed by a simple restart because they're almost never restarted and allowed to do a system update. Others are just making sure things are plugged in securely. I'm quite low on the totem pole and my job has little to do with computers, but the night supervisor has asked me to troubleshoot their computer a few times. I asked if I could get paid as much as tech support is. Answer was a no, but I still solved the problem. Brownie points I guess?

IT people like those who arent whiny and can do for themselves. Be nice, say thank you and dont yell and you will be treated better. IT people are known for passive aggression. Bribery helps too. How would you like being in a position where only frustrated people talk to you?

IT people like those who arent whiny and can do for themselves. Be nice, say thank you and dont yell and you will be treated better. IT people are known for passive aggression. Bribery helps too. How would you like being in a position where only frustrated people talk to you?

I never understood why people aren't nice to IT people. Because you guys are awesome. Or the people who expect you guys to fix personal, non work related computer or technology issues or free or a very low fee.

F?£ck all of that. I don't get people begging me to do my job, and I don't expect flowers and a card when I do perform.

Maybe IT folks would start being treated with some respect if they didn't expect a damned box of donuts and a foosball table every time they did what they are being overcompensated for doing.

I work at a decent sized university, about 4,500 employees total, here are just a few of the things these retards have done:

I put in a work order to have my computer moved to my new office, two imbeciles show up and carry the computer to the new office and set it on the desk, when I asked them where they were going on their way out they said the work order was just to move the computer, not hook it up.

They brought a new email filter online, bragging about how it was state of the art and used artificial intelligence. By default, it blocked every email domain that was external to the university. It didn't even let us know that an email had been blocked, and didnt notify the sender either. Weeks went by with consultants and contractors not getting paid before anyone figured it out.

Installed a new phone system, state of the art voice recognition and auto translating, it would translate voice messages and email the text to you. The translations were so horrible that they quickly became the favorite sport, seeing who could come up with the most outrageously horrible example. Even the VP's got into it.

Man, I'm just getting warmed up, I could go on all week!

Sounds like your IT people are all academics. Bleeding edge and take everything literally. The guys who moved the computer probably write excellent code. The computers only do what you tell them to, after all

F?£ck all of that. I don't get people begging me to do my job, and I don't expect flowers and a card when I do perform.

Maybe IT folks would start being treated with some respect if they didn't expect a damned box of donuts and a foosball table every time they did what they are being overcompensated for doing.

I work at a decent sized university, about 4,500 employees total, here are just a few of the things these retards have done:

I put in a work order to have my computer moved to my new office, two imbeciles show up and carry the computer to the new office and set it on the desk, when I asked them where they were going on their way out they said the work order was just to move the computer, not hook it up.

They brought a new email filter online, bragging about how it was state of the art and used artificial intelligence. By default, it blocked every email domain that was external to the university. It didn't even let us know that an email had been blocked, and didnt notify the sender either. Weeks went by with consultants and contractors not getting paid before anyone figured it out.

Installed a new phone system, state of the art voice recognition and auto translating, it would translate voice messages and email the text to you. The translations were so horrible that they quickly became the favorite sport, seeing who could come up with the most outrageously horrible example. Even the VP's got into it.

Man, I'm just getting warmed up, I could go on all week!

Desktop support is an entry position and being so it's not really a highly paid position and unfortunately some people don't behave appropriately.
The high paying jobs go to problem solvers that have customer service skills, know why and what they are doing, do extensive testing and always have a regression plan.
I'm one of the two....

F that. Your welds reflect you. Its quality or berry punches. Foreman choice. Do not skimp on quality unless it takes 3x as long

Sometimes you have to pick your battles.

I think we're supposed to have a "production" meeting tomorrow morning. it's being brought up. I'll skimp on the politeness.

the foreman from our new parent company. today he told me not to do a good job because it takes too much time.

So will he be the one held accountable when a weld fails & causes injury or death, or will it be the one who did the weld, or will it just be the company, which will likely be sued for millions? It's a legitimate question.
Regards, GF.

How about you guys fill out this form that my boss laid on my desk this morning?

View attachment 296143

similar:
butthurt.jpg

Emails

Person A: Hi Can you send me XYZ file?
Me: Yes, here it is.
Person A (Copies Person B, C, D): Thank You
Person B (Reply to All): I didn't get the file.
Person A (R2All): Here you go B.
Person B (R2All): Thank you A.
Person C (R2All): Thanks A
Person A (R2All): You're Welcome B
Person A (R2All): You're Welcome C
Person D (R2All, looking at emails one at a time in chronological order): I didn't get the attachment.
Person D (R2All): Oh nevermind I got it, Thanks
Person A (R2All): Youre welcome D.

WTF.....way too many emails for such a simple thing.

Me at work
giphy.gif

58392955.jpg

meme-1.jpg

The days you just get up from workstation and wait for IT to delete all and block at the mail servers. :-D (I believe some people really do it maliciously.)

I have never deleted a work email that wasnt spam, including obnoxious reply all's (albeit none like that.)

3 years. 10k in, 6k out.

Its saved my ass many a time, in the past month I've totally referenced emails from my first few months at the company.

I just deleted all of my emails from my previous department, from 3 1/2 years ago. Felt good.

I have never deleted a work email that wasnt spam, including obnoxious reply all's (albeit none like that.)

3 years. 10k in, 6k out.

Its saved my ass many a time, in the past month I've totally referenced emails from my first few months at the company.
I do the same thing - it's to the point now my boss will come ask me about communications 4-5 years in the past, because he knows I have them saved and can search them.

Be careful with that. If your emails are stored on your local computer (instead of a server), they're all in one file. ANYTHING happens to that file, and they're gone. During a computer swap about 6-7 years ago, I lost around 3 years of emails when a file corrupted.

Since then, I make it a point to go in about February or March, archive all of the past years' emails into a new .pst file, and copy that to a DVD.

I do the same thing - it's to the point now my boss will come ask me about communications 4-5 years in the past, because he knows I have them saved and can search them.

Be careful with that. If your emails are stored on your local computer (instead of a server), they're all in one file. ANYTHING happens to that file, and they're gone. During a computer swap about 6-7 years ago, I lost around 3 years of emails when a file corrupted.

Since then, I make it a point to go in about February or March, archive all of the past years' emails into a new .pst file, and copy that to a DVD.

They're on a server, but we recently lost software builds soooo I should probably back them up, haha.

IT people are lazy, smug, and don't know what they're doing. HBT IT folks excepted, I'm sure.

We need this app on the iPads so we can do this.
Lol! You can't find that app on there?
Nope. Tell me.
Well, it's right. ... Well ... Okay. You need to download that.
I need to? Y'all set these up.
Yeah. Just download it.
You do recall that you disabled us from doing that, right?
... You'll need to submit a ticket for that access.

And those damn tickets! Everything is a ticket, and they can't keep that working, either.

Don't complain about tickets. If your office has two it guys and a bean counter, and there aren't enough tickets being opened to justify two it guys, you can kiss one of them goodbye. Even if they're overworked and really need a third giy

Had someone miss their shift today because they had jury duty (selection really). Her shift is 10a-10p... My old shift. She calls at 130 and asks who is in charge if she needs to come in (she still has over 60% of a shift to work) and we say its up to one of the people who work late (since workforce cuts down as the evening progresses). She then "reminds" us she has been up since 7am, and to take that into consideration.... OK, you missed last Thurs too. Stay at home. WTF. I want to choke 90% of my co-workers because they call in all the floccing time!! Or weasel out of their shift. I was at work today... Sick. I was up at 0530, didnt fall asleep until 0200. Ive missed 4 days in 6 years, and 3 of those are only because my child was sick and couldnt go to the sitter.

Work ethic seems to have faded like common sense...

Had someone miss their shift today because they had jury duty (selection really). Her shift is 10a-10p... My old shift. She calls at 130 and asks who is in charge if she needs to come in (she still has over 60% of a shift to work) and we say its up to one of the people who work late (since workforce cuts down as the evening progresses). She then "reminds" us she has been up since 7am, and to take that into consideration.... OK, you missed last Thurs too. Stay at home. WTF. I want to choke 90% of my co-workers because they call in all the floccing time!! Or weasel out of their shift. I was at work today... Sick. I was up at 0530, didnt fall asleep until 0200. Ive missed 4 days in 6 years, and 3 of those are only because my child was sick and couldnt go to the sitter.

Work ethic seems to have faded like common sense...

We get our entire shift off, paid for jury duty. We can also take a vacation day with 30 minutes notice and PTO at any time we wish. I let my guys use vacation for sick time since we buy back PTO at 1/2 rate, double if you don't use any at all.

Because they're people first and workers second.

We get our entire shift off, paid for jury duty. We can also take a vacation day with 30 minutes notice and PTO at any time we wish. I let my guys use vacation for sick time since we buy back PTO at 1/2 rate, double if you don't use any at all.

Because they're people first and workers second.

When the same people constantly abuse the system, constantly call off, and make the same group of people deal with the excessive work load all the time, they dont get much sympathy. Case in point.

How do you like 12 hours? Do you work the three/four on/off schedule?

I only worked 12s as a regular schedule on the boats. That was more a lifestyle than a job. We lived on the boats 28-36 days a hitch. It wasn't like there were days off, let alone a true end of shift. Rough weather, tie up to a rig or problems while under way? All hands on deck!

We are looking at going to 12s at the plant. We have two shifts now that work 8, 8, 12, 12 with three days or nights off. I dunno. I like my M-F 8 hour days, but I'm special.

Yeah you missed the people part.

I got the people part. See they dont mind bithcing when people call in on their shifts and complaining about how they are screwing us, but have no problem doing it themselves. Pot calling the kettle black. If she was on jury duty all day, Id have no problem with it. But she wasnt. She only missed a few hours of her shift (one of three days a week). Yeah we could have used her, and she knew that, but used this as an opportunity to not come in to work. The fact that she has been sick here and there along with her buddy for the past six months on days we are especially short, yeah people tend to take notice.

I understand people are people, and shouldnt be a slave to work. But they forfeit the right to ***** about others missing all the time and the hardship they endure when they do it themselves.

I only worked 12s as a regular schedule on the boats. That was more a lifestyle than a job. We lived on the boats 28-36 days a hitch. It wasn't like there were days off, let alone a true end of shift. Rough weather, tie up to a rig or problems while under way? All hands on deck!

We are looking at going to 12s at the plant. We have two shifts now that work 8, 8, 12, 12 with three days or nights off. I dunno. I like my M-F 8 hour days, but I'm special.

Most of us do three 12s. My set shift is Mon/Thurs/Fri 0700-1900. Its not bad. It is awesome for childcare as my wife works at the same hospital and works resource, so she is able to make her own hours. Therefore we only need childcare a few times a month. On the other hand, when I worked construction, it was nice working five 8s or four 10s... I think four 10s is the ideal shift.

I love shift work. I work a rotating 12hr shift. 4 days 6 off 4 nights 4 off 3 days 3 nights 4 off. Repeat. Without extra overtime I work 14 days and am off 14 days out of every 28, and have a week off at a time every month. Doesn't get any better than that.

I'm excited to get back on 4 x 10s next week. I haven't been able to do it since my daughter started school, almost 5 years ago.

Here's my gripe:

Coworker #1: Works his ass off. Always takes on extra work to keep himself busy. Passed over for promotion 4 times in the last 7 years. Finally, the consolation promotion comes up - he's most qualified for the position vacated by the last person promoted over him. Except that position gets reclassified by upper management to a position below him.

Coworker #1, justifiably fed up, applies for an equivalent job on the outside and is offered it at a $10,000 per year more than he was making. He walks into the office and demands a match or he's turning in his notice. To his surprise, they give him the match.

Coworker #2: spends 50% of his time chatting to other people and has been voted biggest "time suck" of the division. He gets told by other divisions to stop going into their areas because he's wasting their employee's time too. The perfect example of Coworker #2's ability to work slow is it took him 2.5 months to move from one cubical to another. Anyone else would have come in on a Saturday and had it done in 3 hours or less.

Coworker #2 hears about Coworker #1's raise and is furious because he thinks he should be getting a raise too.

Coworker #3 has a promotion forced on her because one of the managers quit and she's the only one remotely qualified for the position. Coworker #2 thinks he deserves to spend another 2.5 months moving cubicals again because Coworker #3's old cubical is better than his new one.

My opinion: Coworker #2 needs to shut up and be thankful he hasn't been axed yet.

People change certain settings (which are standard) on various CRITICAL systems for whatever reason, but don't change those settings back to standard when they're done. They don't bother to tell anybody what they did, what they changed or how the system is impacted by these changes. Then somebody else comes along (like me) and tries to their job; but can't because of the setting changes. Now that person (ya, ME) has to puzzle through things, try to figure out what was changed & change those settings back to standard. Only about an hour of work time lost to this fiasco. Just how I wanted to start my shift. End rant.
Regards, GF.

People change certain settings (which are standard) on various CRITICAL systems for whatever reason, but don't change those settings back to standard when they're done. They don't bother to tell anybody what they did, what they changed or how the system is impacted by these changes. Then somebody else comes along (like me) and tries to their job; but can't because of the setting changes. Now that person (ya, ME) has to puzzle through things, try to figure out what was changed & change those settings back to standard. Only about an hour of work time lost to this fiasco. Just how I wanted to start my shift. End rant.
Regards, GF.

Holy ****! You work here, too?!

We're about to implement some protections against that BS. I'm the project "champion" of that. Some folks gonna be upset when they can't just turn off an alarm and pass it to the next shift.

58392955.jpg

meme-1.jpg

The days you just get up from workstation and wait for IT to delete all and block at the mail servers. :-D (I believe some people really do it maliciously.)

Had one of those reply-all waves yesterday. Someone pointed out the Ignore message chain feature in outlook (deletes the message and any replies to it, awesome) and people kept reply-alling. All in all >100 reply-alls asking to be removed from the list. Ugh.

Most of us do three 12s. My set shift is Mon/Thurs/Fri 0700-1900. Its not bad. It is awesome for childcare as my wife works at the same hospital and works resource, so she is able to make her own hours. Therefore we only need childcare a few times a month. On the other hand, when I worked construction, it was nice working five 8s or four 10s... I think four 10s is the ideal shift.

I am with you there. I wish it were an option here.

Ok, love venting on this thread!

Coworker has called out sick today so and does frequently on Mondays/Fridays so I searched in Outlook and came up with the following days he has called out sick:
Monday 4/27 April
Friday 5/29 May
Monday 6/29 June and Tuesday June 30*
July out on vacation 2 weeks through the end of the month
Friday 8/14

* - Now I think it was the June time, he was legitimately sick as he sound horrible when he came back on Wednesday. This made me think ok, maybe its just a coincidence. He has been fine all week and it just so happens he falls ill on a Friday. SMH.

The real question is given this pattern, will his next out period be on Monday August 31st or will he wait a full 4 weeks to get sick again?

Monday 4/27 April
Friday 5/29 May
Monday 6/29 June and Tuesday June 30*
July out on vacation 2 weeks through the end of the month
Friday 8/14

The real question is given this pattern, will his next out period be on Monday August 31st or will he wait a full 4 weeks to get sick again?

So what's the over/under? What are the bets? I mean, if we're gonna do this, let's make it at least exciting.... :D

I sometimes call in sick with an eye problem, as in "Eye can't see myself going into work today." It usually happens when my frustration meter is pegged.

It not usually monthly. More like quarterly. I'd never bank any sick leave if I did it monthly.

The people I work with are extremely lenient. They just fired one of our designers for calling in once a week, claiming vehicle troubles despite having a 2015 Subaru. The lies did the person in. I don't even call. I'll text him "yo mad hungover, if want me, ill be there after lunch"... usually just get back, "lol idiot". Honesty is what got me the job, lifes too short to lie.

Back