Things a Homebrewer Thinks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No I don't think the mods will band you but you will be judged by a much higher power the gods of beer. They will be angry with your flagrant use of such offensive language

Johnnyhitch1 said:
"Why the hell are you using that pot for stock...thats my HLT!!!"

My HLT spends a good chunk of its life being used for canning and making stock a well. The worst is when she doesn't clean it right away and I have to do it so it's ready if I need it.

I came home to my girlfriend making sweet and sour sauce and my brewing spoon covered in sticky red junk. Not ok

"I really wish I hadn't tole my Boss I brew, he keeps asking every week if my next batch is ready"

Thankfully he only "requests" a bottle...

Side Note: I told him I needed a kegging kit *hint hint* and he asked where he would buy one if he wanted to...

As a fairly new homebrewer, I dropped off a few bottles at my principal's place for a party she was having. They returned unwashed this morning, and I was instantly proud of myself because my three-day-old stale dregs smell just like the stale dregs of the commercial beer bottles I picked up at a local bar last night. They're currently casting their aroma throughout my kindergarten classroom and I couldn't be happier! :drunk:

As a fairly new homebrewer, I dropped off a few bottles at my principal's place for a party she was having. They returned unwashed this morning, and I was instantly proud of myself because my three-day-old stale dregs smell just like the stale dregs of the commercial beer bottles I picked up at a local bar last night. They're currently casting their aroma throughout my kindergarten classroom and I couldn't be happier! :drunk:

I bet the parents appreciate that smell, and only slightly wonder what kind of teaching you do around there anyway.

rorypayne said:
"I wonder if my wife will buy me this (ss conical fermenter) for Christmas. Probably not better get it myself"

"Oops - you did get me one. It costs too much to return...I'll suffer through with two."

DrunkleJon said:
I bet the parents appreciate that smell, and only slightly wonder what kind of teaching you do around there anyway.

They probably think it's the smell of kindergartners (don't they convert sugar to ethanol?), or there are high schoolers hiding somewhere (cause high schoolers are smelly

ForumRunner_20131219_112605.png

You wonder how much grain this could crush.

This batch tastes like ass.... better let it sit longer and hope it comes around...

3 Months later, still tastes like ass... well, I made it, can't waste alcohol...

*hands out beer at the company Christmas party*

"Hmm, I've bought interesting flavors in the store: Raspberry Wheat, Blueberry Ale, Creme Brulee Stout. I've tasted experimental beers at the Portland Fruit Beer Festival: Blue Raspberry Beer, Cucumber Ale... I wonder what an Asparagus Pale would taste like? Or how about a Brownie Porter? OOH OOH Bananas Foster Ale!!! *scratches head* Now how would I make something like that???"

*Pulls out 1 gallon batch equipment*

"Hmm, I've bought interesting flavors in the store: Raspberry Wheat, Blueberry Ale, Creme Brulee Stout. I've tasted experimental beers at the Portland Fruit Beer Festival: Blue Raspberry Beer, Cucumber Ale... I wonder what an Asparagus Pale would taste like? Or how about a Brownie Porter? OOH OOH Bananas Foster Ale!!! *scratches head* Now how would I make something like that???"

*Pulls out 1 gallon batch equipment*

There is a recipe floating around here somewhere for a Bananas Foster beer. Can't remember where though.

"Hmmm ... SWMBO has to work on Christmas eve day and we don't have to get on the road until 4 ... I wonder if I can sneak an AG batch (or two) without her noticing."

Of course you can! It was 6pm on a weeknight and I looked at the clock and thought: my last AG brew day went so smooth I could sneak in a batch today before bedtime. I didn't, but I had the option.

"Hmmm ... SWMBO has to work on Christmas eve day and we don't have to get on the road until 4 ... I wonder if I can sneak an AG batch (or two) without her noticing."

Sounds like a nice story for Basic Brewing: Brew Disasters 2014 :rockin:

Wouldn't be the first time :p. I casually mentioned it to my SWMBO last night - went something like this:

Me: "I want to swing by the LHBS and pick up a few things tomorrow. I'm going to do a sour mash and make a beer from my magazine [zymurgy] - it'll take a few days an I'll finish it up Tuesday."

SWMBO: "we're leaving for my mom's right when I get off work - no"

Me: "but we're not leaving until 4, right? I'll just get up early"

SWMBO: "I want to leave earlier than that and this will be a 16 hour brew day - I know it!. Brew when we get home"

Me: "but I need 4 days to do a Pensyltucky Common ..."

SWMBO: "..."

So now I'm thinking "can I sew the hole in my BIAB bag with regular thread," "I wonder if this no chill BIAB thing really works so I can sneak in a batch or two," and "stupid unseasonable warm weather screwing up my no-chillability."

BYO article: First wort hopping results in smoother bitterness with less bite.

"Hmmm, sort of like a second marriage..."

I'll take your word for it. I have been telling my self if something ever happens with my wife (5 years so far so good) I have no plans to get married a second time.

I'll take your word for it. I have been telling my self if something ever happens with my wife (5 years so far so good) I have no plans to get married a second time.

You are not alone. Once on a date with another survivor, she said: "You get married when you're young to buy a house and have children. I already have a house and children." And when I got engaged this time, many of my male friends asked why I was getting married again. I told them: She smiles at me every morning and every night.

After multiple girlfriends, one divorce, and six years with the current "fiancé", I'm well aware that I'm AT LEAST HALF of the problem if not more, and have no intention of getting married again. Now all I gotta do is let HER know, or make it obvious.

Is there a name for the anxiety one feels when one goes to work without checking on one's fermenting beer before leaving the house?

Today:

"Who looked at one of those needlepoint rings and decided 'hey, I bet I could use that to keep hops out of my plate chiller'"

"Hmm - maybe I should have waited to take the yeast out" as I was staring at a vial of wlp655 that clearly wanted to explode ... and who's cap had lodged tight"

"I be this pipe wrench can open the yeast ... maybe I should stick it back in the fridge first"

Ha! ...and a wire coat hanger to fish a rubber stopper out of a full carboy just after pitching!

Just thought of another thing a homebrew thinks: "There's brewing supplies under that Christmas tree, can't we just open them now?!"

Keith66 said:
Anyone else ever StarSan a pair of channel locks?

Yep - done that

Keith66 said:
Ha! ...and a wire coat hanger to fish a rubber stopper out of a full carboy just after pitching!

Just thought of another thing a homebrew thinks: "There's brewing supplies under that Christmas tree, can't we just open them now?!"

Yep, both of those too.

And I totally pulled the "we don't want to drag all this stuff to your moms for Christmas - lets jus open it here!

Back