"These are yeast and bacteria, not evil spirits, star san will kill them."

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roastglint

Reaction score
"In regards to using a fermentor again after fermenting a sour beer; you can reuse it for clean beer after washing and sanitizing the fermentor. there are lots of sour beer brewers out there doing it, i'm doing it, so it's not just mere luck that i have never had a cross contamination in the 3 yrs i've been experimenting with this. i'm not saying that you should do this, just that it can easily be done. the last lager i brewed fermented in a better bottle that had just been emptied of a 1 yr old sour beer. these are yeast and bacteria, not evil spirits, star san will kill them."

Just saw someone say this. Makes sense. It's how I've always thought about it. what are your thoughts?

Im using glass carboys. Cleaned well and using Starsan. So far so good. Using separate siphon tubing and racking cane etc. So far not keeping track of airlocks and bungs but probably should. So far no problem. If a problem arises I'll switch to chlorine dioxide. Kegged sours have separate CO2 tank and regulator and get served from picnic tap instead of kegerator. This tank is used to purge headspace after opening a carboy or during transfer too. Looking for smaller kegerator that can hold 3 cornies.

In general, I agree. The whole point of sanitizing before putting your "clean" beer into a fermenter is to kill things like lactobacillus and wild sacc/brett that may have settled there between brews.

Specifically, though, some added vigilance is required, if you're using plastic vessels, as scratches can harbor bacteria in crevices that starsan may not be able to soak.

Glass and stainless well cleaned and sanitized, you'll be OK. Plastics, not so much. And avoid anything with nooks and crannies.

I agree, though as said plastic is an issue sometimes, no matter how good you clean and sanitize. Old plastic fermentors will inevitably be scratched. Not sure why you would need a different CO2 tank and regulator, as positive pressure will keep these from becoming contaminated.

I agree, though as said plastic is an issue sometimes, no matter how good you clean and sanitize. Old plastic fermentors will inevitably be scratched. Not sure why you would need a different CO2 tank and regulator, as positive pressure will keep these from becoming contaminated.[/QU

So you think it's fine to use the same setup. I really dont feel lilke buying a new tank and regulator just for beers I have on tap a few times a year.

I agree, though as said plastic is an issue sometimes, no matter how good you clean and sanitize. Old plastic fermentors will inevitably be scratched. Not sure why you would need a different CO2 tank and regulator, as positive pressure will keep these from becoming contaminated.[/QU

So you think it's fine to use the same setup. I really dont feel lilke buying a new tank and regulator just for beers I have on tap a few times a year.

You dont NEED a separate CO2 tank and regulator. Just pay attention to the gas line and especially quick disconnect. Sanitize well or keep spares for that.

Im a firm believer in chemicals. Its just easier not to have to change lines around (for me).

So far no issues.

I put an in-line check-valve on the gas-in quick-disconnect. That stops any chance of pressure differential sending sour beer or bugs up line towards the gas hose and regulator.

The quick disconnect and check-valve are reserved for sour use only.

I agree with this sentiment completely. I don't even use separate siphons or tubing, I just clean it all extremely well.

I use separate hoses (sometimes) and all of my bungs and airlocks are pretty much mixed up by now. I use glass and plastic carboys interchangeably and the same bottling bucket. I have had a few infections, but I've never had one when I've actually tried to prevent an infection. When I've had them it's because I was lazy and accepted the risk.

Bacteria and Brett can be killed just like regular brewer's yeast, the fear is that it only takes a small amount of them to affect your beer, which is what makes your sanitation practices important.

I use separate hoses (sometimes) and all of my bungs and airlocks are pretty much mixed up by now. I use glass and plastic carboys interchangeably and the same bottling bucket. I have had a few infections, but I've never had one when I've actually tried to prevent an infection. When I've had them it's because I was lazy and accepted the risk.

Bacteria and Brett can be killed just like regular brewer's yeast, the fear is that it only takes a small amount of them to affect your beer, which is what makes your sanitation practices important.

I think it was Chad Yakobson in his dissertation that talked about why Brett and LAB are more infectious than Sacch. It takes far fewer cells to affect the flavor of a beer with Brett and LAB than it does with Sacch. The concern is that if you leave only a few Brett or LAB cells behind, they could alter the flavor, whereas it would take a much larger population of Sacch to have any affect.

That said, I don't keep different sets of equipment and haven't had a problem. I just make sure everything is properly cleaned and sanitized. I do soak my equipment in oxyclean fairly often as well.

Back