Thermowell / probe grease?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nosnhojm20

Reaction score
Do people just stick the probe in the thermowell or do they grease it? What's the best method? Looking for opinions. Thanks!

Context: I'm building a herms and want to semi-automate with temp controllers (pump for herms in particular). Same goes for fermentation.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

You're the man. Or woman. I searched and found nothing. Wasn't sure if this sub forum was right or not.

As in: You need to slip it through a rubber grommet, that's giving some resistance?

Try and experiment with some alcohol, which makes rubber pretty slippery, and it evaporates quickly.

This from experience assembling rubber parts, albeit using Isopropanol, but I imagine Vodka might have the same effect.

The reason I ask is from the little I've found on the subject is that the grease helps the transfer of heat, thus giving a more accurate reading. What's your experience?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I use thermal paste ordered of amazon. It's typically used on computer chips and isn't food grade but it sits inside a sealed environment isolated from the tank interior by the thermowell. I have a couple of small tubes which will do a couple of thermowells each.

Back