There's another sub $2k can seamer out, AND they sell cans!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ross_daly

Reaction score
I don't think this will end up in my house, but it's still pretty cool to see the market open up like this. https://canseamer.myshopify.com/products/mk16-can-seamer There's a video on this fb page

They have a similar machine to the crowler seamers, but it looks to not be automatic, and it is redesigned. They also will ship you cans 255 at a time. It looks like can + lid + shipping =~$0.50 per can.

Previously cans were maybe 2x more expensive, and often required buying by the literal truckload.

Think someone posted that a while back. Think there is another one also out there. Too rich for my blood. I would just bottle in plastic PET bottles if I needed the ability to take where glass isn't allowed.. plus they can be reused. Although you would have the cool factor with the cans.

Guy in our HB club got one. Gotta say it was pretty cool when they brought in a 4 pack of 16oz cans.
Maybe someday

So instead of pain in the ass bottling, I can spend $1,500 for pain in the ass canning?

Meh. I'll just buy a few stainless growlers and fill off my taps.

Oh wait. I already do that...

Can't really do much about the head space in the cans, right?
That'd be a show stopper imo...

Cheers!

Why would it be a showstopper?

I think one can't really can-condition, so it's always carbonated beer going into the cans. I don't see why the headspace would be a big deal. Are you worried about 100% full beers spraying when they are opened?

Aha! That makes me think that getting a homebrew club together to buy one of these might really be the best idea. A lot of people to spread the cost over, and enough can volume so that shipping hurts less. I guess that if it was one of those homebrew shops that brew on premise then they could use it there or have it as a 'rental tool' like a carpet shampooer.

Guy in our HB club got one. Gotta say it was pretty cool when they brought in a 4 pack of 16oz cans.
Maybe someday

I think one can't really can-condition, so it's always carbonated beer going into the cans.

Why not? Fill the can with a beer that is primed and contains yeast and guess what will happen :tank:

The seam on a can is definitely strong enough to withstand the spike in pressure generated during bottle conditioning. The reason it is not commonly done is probably in part due to the fact that pouring from a can stirs up sediments in the bottom of the can. No problem for a Hefeweizen or even a stout, but maybe not so good for an American Light Lager.

That said, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is can conditioned with their highly-flocculent conditioning yeast.

That's why back flushing with CO2 leaves a protective blanket to why you fill on top.

To the OP I saw this too... Wish I had a lot of expendable income and my own home. Instead I'm living in an apartment studying for a PhD

Back