There's a fly in my fermenter!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mskin

Reaction score
Not sure how or when it happened. Maybe during the boil? Hopefully not during the cool down or hop stand... but there is a dead fly in my glass fermenter. Ill spend the next three weeks wondering about what sort of effect its going to have on my beer.

Any thoughts from those with similar experience?

I brew outside so it's always on my mind having to deal with the fly's. A few brews ago, I was doing the final chilling before adding yeast, I looked down & there was a fly that just landed in the wort. I quickly got my spoon, sprayed some StarSan on it & got him out. Fortunately, all came out well. Best of luck!

A fly is just a flying maggot...That doesn't sound gross in a beer at all....BARF
I'm liking my electric indoor brew more and more

We're having a bit of a fruit fly epidemic where I live. Every time I think I've killed the buggers I find a few more. I was hoping to start a brew Friday evening, but fruit flies and a gallon of fermenting wort in a small apartment seem like a bad mix...

On the other hand...

Back