the_Wife wants me to buy a bike (advice)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bird,
Congrats on your purchase. I was a mechanic at a Honda & Suzuki shop when the CX500 was introduced. That is the origin of your engine and frame. I loved that bike and it was quite bomb proof with normal routine maintenance. It sounds like the former owner knew what he was doing. Here's wishing you may trouble free miles. That bike has enough power to keep up with traffic but is small enough to learn on. Also with the exposed engine maintenance is easier than some. It's a great value for the money.

*Thread hijack alert!*

In five days I am hopping on my old rice-eater and riding up to Superior, WI. Gonna camp up there for 4 or 5 days and heading back home, about 950 miles round-trip. I can't wait!

Sounds awesome, Bernie.

Going up to see my old man today, he's helping me bring down and install our new (old) kitchen cabinets but I'll talk to him about the starter as well. Maybe we can at least confirm that it'll be a pretty easy job to replace.

Also got my confirmation in the mail from Pioneer Valley Rider Training, I'm on for the course for July 11th. Got to get them a copy of my permit and buy a helmet.

Sounds like a cool trip, Bernie.

You know what we need? A "post a picture of your bike" thread.

No, forgot the camera again today (bike's still in Vermont).

The old man, if he remembers (a big "if") is bringing the battery in to work to see if it's any good (they just bought some fancy testing machine). If not (which I kinda hope it's no good), I'll pick up a new battery, otherwise probably look into whether it is the starter that needs replacing.

OK guys, jumping into this thread for some advice. Looking for a first bike.

I have no practical riding experience. I will be taking the MSF basics course this weekend. I enjoy spirited driving, but am not a risk taker (1 speeding ticket 5 or 6 years ago). I hate tailgating, fast lane changing, or anything else that seems unsafe and just plain stupid on the roads. I'm trying to say I think I can handle starting on something more than a 250 from the responsibility standpoint. I am 5'11" and about 165 lbs. I also have a cart of gear (besides a helmet because I want to check locally to get a good fit) ready to go at newenough.com

Some bikes I've had in mind are 1980's Nighthawks (450+), 550 and 650 Maxims, Suzi GS's... I've been monitoring CL for a while. I'm hoping to get a bike + gear + insurance + any repair or maintenance for around 1500. Here is what I'm looking at most seriously right now:

1982 Yamaha Maxim 650

Two problems for me purchasing any bike. One, I can't ride it home (no license yet, insurance..), and don't have access to a pickup or trailer. Two, I can't think of anyone I know with riding experience to aid me in looking over a bike and maybe test riding it. Any suggestions? Any thoughts on that particular bike?

Read this over, four times. It's an exceptional guide to the things to look for when buying used bikes.

I got lucky in that an HBT bud lived within a few blocks of where my bike was and was willing to check it out with me and take it for a test-ride. Where are you located, Ann Arbor? Maybe someone here can help you out, it's worth a shot.

The seller may be willing to deliver, too, especially if you don't live too far away.

Read this over, four times. It's an exceptional guide to the things to look for when buying used bikes.

I got lucky in that an HBT bud lived within a few blocks of where my bike was and was willing to check it out with me and take it for a test-ride. Where are you located, Ann Arbor? Maybe someone here can help you out, it's worth a shot.

The seller may be willing to deliver, too, especially if you don't live too far away.

I saw that guide earlier. I read it once, but I'll definately need to read a few more times! I'm in Lansing. Someone just looking over the bike would be great, even if they were near Ann Arbor and didn't want to ride it out to Lansing. I was going to ask the seller about deliver, maybe I could throw in some gas money/homebrew/case of BMC (if that's how he rolls).

I just found out I need my own helmet for the course. I guess I'll have to get on that ASAP because I'm out of town starting tomorrow afternoon. I'm not sure what I'll do about that because I want to get a full helmet, but I bet a half shell will be cheaper if I don't have time to find a good deal on a helmet I really want. Buying then returning a helmet after a sweaty Sat and Sun sounds gross and probably against a shops policies. Maybe a local shop will have some options for me.

Oh, and congrats on your purchase :rockin:

I just sold (gave)the Buell to my son .. Reason being I just didnt like riding it anymore nice fast bike handles well but at 50 the bones just cant take it any more...

Ohh and I bought this from my neighbor 2005 Yamaha 1100 Silverado with 1122 miles on her the one on the left. I just couldn't refuse the deal

silverado2.JPG

the gang Springer is behind the Fatboy

silveradogroup.JPG

OK guys, jumping into this thread for some advice. Looking for a first bike.

I have no practical riding experience. I will be taking the MSF basics course this weekend. I enjoy spirited driving, but am not a risk taker (1 speeding ticket 5 or 6 years ago). I hate tailgating, fast lane changing, or anything else that seems unsafe and just plain stupid on the roads. I'm trying to say I think I can handle starting on something more than a 250 from the responsibility standpoint. I am 5'11" and about 165 lbs. I also have a cart of gear (besides a helmet because I want to check locally to get a good fit) ready to go at newenough.com

Some bikes I've had in mind are 1980's Nighthawks (450+), 550 and 650 Maxims, Suzi GS's... I've been monitoring CL for a while. I'm hoping to get a bike + gear + insurance + any repair or maintenance for around 1500. Here is what I'm looking at most seriously right now:

1982 Yamaha Maxim 650

Two problems for me purchasing any bike. One, I can't ride it home (no license yet, insurance..), and don't have access to a pickup or trailer. Two, I can't think of anyone I know with riding experience to aid me in looking over a bike and maybe test riding it. Any suggestions? Any thoughts on that particular bike?

You could ask the owner to take it to a Yamaha dealer to check it out for you cost a little $ . Then just rent a Lowe's or Homer truck for the $19.95 I believe most rental places have pickups also, couple of ramps good to go.

You could ask the owner to take it to a Yamaha dealer to check it out for you cost a little $ . Then just rent a Lowe's or Homer truck for the $19.95 I believe most rental places have pickups also, couple of ramps good to go.

A couple of good ideas there. Thanks!

Oh HBT - Homebrew, Snus, Straight Razor blades, Aquaponic gardens, Motorcycles...

When I bought my bike, I worked in the initial negotiation that he would need to deliver it to my house and I paid him a small amount extra to have him swing by the dealer on the way out and get it inspected.

He was happy to do it. One final ride and I gave him a ride back to his house and a 6-pack of assorted HB.

Well my Strom got put up on Craigslist and various other bike forums on the web today. Yessir shes gone up for sale. I blame this thread mostly....it brought out the bike whore in me.

I have all the numbers worked out, and as soon as the Strom is gone I will be heading up to Phoenix to pick up an 09 Triumph Tiger. Dealer has one still in the crate

Another option:

1983 Kawasaki Spectre 750

Also $800. Anybody know if a full size van is likely large enough for a bike?

The specs for weight and power are very similar for the Kawasaki and Yamaha Maxim 650. I have read some reports praising the Spectra's powerband. Both are shaftdrive, 5-speed inline fours. hmmmm

Another option:

1983 Kawasaki Spectre 750

Also $800. Anybody know if a full size van is likely large enough for a bike?

The specs for weight and power are very similar for the Kawasaki and Yamaha Maxim 650. I have read some reports praising the Spectra's powerband. Both are shaftdrive, 5-speed inline fours. hmmmm

I had a 1998 GMC Savanna van 12 passenger with the 135 inch wheelbase. The fatboy and the Springer fit inside it was reall tight but they fit.Did this when we wnet to Sturgis with the camper in tow. The cleats for the removable seat worked perfect with the ratchet straps. Just make sure you secure the rear of the bike very well . If you have an accident nothing is there to stop the bike from moving forward.

I ended up picking up a 1982 Suzuki GS 650L. I also just finished up the MSF course. Hopefully I'll be insured and licensed by Tuesday.

Well I bought a new bike. I went and took a look at an 09 Triumph Tiger, but I was wasnt feeling it, especially with the 5k more price tag.

So, I picked up another Vstrom.....but I got the 1000cc flavor this time.

Congrats! We need pics!

OK, so I've been away on business for a while and have finally gotten a chance to ride the bike the last few days. I'll get some picks tomorrow.

It's amazing how quickly you progress this early in riding. Starting this morning, my takeoffs were sometimes wobbly, or included a dragging foot. By the time I got back tonight (2+ hours of riding throughout the day), my confidence was much higher, and my starts and stops improved. Soooo much fun!

EDIT: lied about the pics... tomorrow again

1982 Suzuki GS 650 GL

p7050649.jpg

p7050650.jpg

Nice. My old roommate from years ago had an 82 GS 850GL. Bought it new in 83 and as far as I know he still has it. Same color as your 650.
Weird how Suzuki did it with the GLs in those days. The 550s were chain drive, the 650s were shafties, the 750s chain again, and 850s shafties again. Never could figure the logic behind that..........

Scary thing last night.

I was on a long highway ride from Muskegon to Lansing, following my brother in a van. I see a ton of bright blood and think "wow, how red. Must be fresh". I keep seeing more and more blood and then a deer dead in front of me. No time for anything. I blasted straight through it at 70-75. Handlebars wiggled back and forth a bit but nothing else. I was pretty loud so I think I tore through it rib cage or something. I got home and was cleaning blood and flesh from my tires at 1:00AM.

Hibeams all the time for me from now on. Going the speedlimit had me overriding the lows.

Scary thing last night.

I was on a long highway ride from Muskegon to Lansing, following my brother in a van. I see a ton of bright blood and think "wow, how red. Must be fresh". I keep seeing more and more blood and then a deer dead in front of me. No time for anything. I blasted straight through it at 70-75. Handlebars wiggled back and forth a bit but nothing else. I was pretty loud so I think I tore through it rib cage or something. I got home and was cleaning blood and flesh from my tires at 1:00AM.

Hibeams all the time for me from now on. Going the speedlimit had me overriding the lows.
High beams and alight bar for me. How far behind the van were you?

Far enough that a warning flash of the brake lights would have been appreciated! I don't know, maybe 5 seconds.

I've been thinking about it today. I may have had an opportunity to swerve but was too focused on the blood trail, instead of keeping my eyes up. Not sure... could be that a swerve attempt would be too little too late and resulted in a collision none the less. I am quite impressed with a bike's 'desire' to stay straight and upright.

EDIT: Ughh.. Found a bunch nasty stuff all over the center stand and kick stand. I took a picture to post and then thought "why the hell am I showing them roadkill... I forgot to say I drove by a bike on fire in the median yesterday. I got there before the fire truck and ambulance. Somebody ran him off the road:(

http://www.sentinel-standard.com/articles/2009/07/09/news/01news.txt

Scary thing last night.

I had something similar happen years ago. Went for a late-night ride, and saw (too late) a possum in the road. Hit it square, and it literally blew up. Possum guts all over the engine and exhaust. No amount of scrubbing would remove it. Damned bike stunk to high heaven every time i fired it up for a month. At least it wasn't skunk.

Hey bird, You get this thing home yet :)

Honestly, no. I really couldn't have picked a worse time to learn how to ride a bike, I've been desperately, desperately trying to get the kitchen finished up which has kept me from getting up to the folks' and figuring out what needs to get fixed (big brother seems to think just a battery).

Class is tomorrow, though :D

Class is tomorrow, though :D

It'll be the most fun 18 miles you ever put on a bike.

Your class will probably be 12 people or less.

My only regret is that I didn't get some contact info from the other people I "lived with" for two days so I could catch up and see who ended up getting bikes and maybe hook up for a ride.

Have fun.

I need to swing by the bike shop on the way home tonight, I haven't even had time to buy a helmet. Any recommendations on brands to seek out or avoid?

I need to swing by the bike shop on the way home tonight, I haven't even had time to buy a helmet. Any recommendations on brands to seek out or avoid?

Opinions will vary about as much as our dry VS liquid arguments.

I have a half shell, open face.

Allows for a variety of goggle styles.
Keeps my vision clearer.
I can hear better that with a full-face or full-bucket helmet.

My thought is that 99% of injury prevention is accident avoidance. I never felt comfortable in traffic with a full face helmet. My peripheral vision was nill.

OK, I'm geared up. The shop didn't have as much of a helmet selection as I might have hoped; basically $90 helmets (in a couple colors, but same manufacturer), $140 (didn't have one that fit), $500 helmets and those damn yamaka things :D Ended up with a $90 HJC model, it fits and I can always upgrade to something a bit lighter when I have a little bit coin in my pocket. Since I spent less on the helmet than I expected, I went ahead and bought a Coretech jacket for $150 (along with my gloves). So, I should be all set for the morning.

Latest posts

Back