The Year Of Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MT's AZ Ale Haus

Reaction score
For me, this will be the Year Of Beer.

Last year I started brewing, and was able to complete five 5.5 gal batches.
Each batch I learned something and improved upon the previous batch, I feel like my beers got better and better every time.

My goal for this year is to do a lot more Brews, so I'm going to venture into the small batch (1.5 gal), I can do those on my stove top in one night.
I want to experiment more and try different styles, delve into some Stout's, Heffe's and APA's but still keep my IPA's in the cycle. It will allow me to experiment with different Hops and Yeast's, Different flavor and profile characteristics, etc...

What are your, Beer goal's and aspirations?

Get new gear, or bigger equipment?
Start a brewery?
Join a club?
Enter a competition?

I would love to have a dedicated space for my brewing equipment and supplies, where my wife won't complain that it is in her way. I also want a place to use my set up in all types of weather. Currently I cannot brew in rain due to no covered area.

I would also like to make 20 five gal batches in one calendar year.

My goal is pretty simple and short-ranged.
It's "get rid of the majority of the glass carboys" and replace them with one stainless steel SS Brewbucket for beer wort. Gonna keep one or two of the four glass containers for mead/wine. Not only will that save some space but it will induce me to brew smaller batches more often with fewer bottles.

Later on, when we sell this house I'm gonna have some input on what the next place is going to have for kitchen space. Our current kitchen lacks counter space and is barely big enough for two people to stand or work comfortably.
if you share a bathroom sink with a woman you know 90% of the space is "hers" and the only spots you have free is for one razor, a toothbrush, and one canister of shaving gel.

Last edited:
I want to brew more, would be the primary goal. Last year I only brewed 31 batches, and this year I would like to up that to 37-38 batches.

One of the other bigger goals is to brew lagers ( I will be brewing 3 lagers in the following few days ) and generally, I want to brew softer, lower ABV beers, yeast and malt centered, with hops aiding the the aroma and flavours. I've been doing a lot of hop centered beers, but my taste has shifted and actually only want to drink IPAs once in a while.

2019 Brew Goals:

Build a 3 tap Keezer
Recycle 1000 bottles (You think I'm kidding...) :D
Purchase BME Brew Bucket
Build a new single tier brew stand
Brew at least 10 batches
Move so that i have the space to brew more than 10 batches and do a few long term projects, ie lambic, solera etc

This year I want to only drink the beer I brew 100% of the time. It's ok if someone offers me a commercial beer but that's it. No more buying beer for me in 2019. I have done this one time before back in 2013 but I let myself buy 3 or 4 of my annual favorites. This year I will brew these kind of yearly offerings to see if I can mimic them. I feel my brewing is up to par with anything I'd buy in the store so why not give it a go?

I just moved house and now have a basement brew space, i am going all electric 3 kettle herms, already have control panel just purchased last 2 brew kettles, then need to cut holes install all components and finally get to brew again, not brewed since last august due to apartment selling and house buying and having to live with mother in law for 2 months until we found our new home.

Hopefully then i will be able to brew more often and not keep spending money on buying beer

Brew more and share more. I bought a 2.5 gallon keg that fits neatly inside my rolling cooler along with a CO2 bottle so I can roll it over to the neighbors, down to the pool, tailgating, etc. I think I'll prefer this to growlers where I'm always worried about oxidation and beer going flat.

This year I want to only drink the beer I brew 100% of the time. It's ok if someone offers me a commercial beer but that's it. No more buying beer for me in 2019. I have done this one time before back in 2013 but I let myself buy 3 or 4 of my annual favorites. This year I will brew these kind of yearly offerings to see if I can mimic them. I feel my brewing is up to par with anything I'd buy in the store so why not give it a go?
Love that goal! Thought the same way but I love BA RIS and Sours...challenge and money to keep those in the mix 100% of the time. Finally getting the NEIPA process down also.

Last year was a down year only brewed 5 batches of beer. This year I’m already on #3 tomorrow, going to look into making my own recipes. Along with doing a Scottish using a block of oak that’s been soaked in bourbon. That’s gonna be next month but only gonna do 2 gallons Incase it doesn’t turn out. Here’s to a great year cheers

Back