The Woodsman

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jericurl

Reaction score
The Woodsman:

2 quarts maple syrup
1 quart hickory syrup
Yaupon Holly (think christmas shrub) honey
water to just above 3 gallons

Started this one on 01-11-16, SG @ 1.12.

Racked this in February, then again on 03-27-16.

20161023_142327.jpg

This sounds like something I have been wanting to make. I had though about trying maple syrup with mesquite honey to see what I got. How much honey did you use in this? Also, what kind of a flavor did this end up having? The yaupon holly honey is less expensive than I expected, this may be getting bumped up on my "to do" list.

This sounds like something I have been wanting to make. I had though about trying maple syrup with mesquite honey to see what I got. How much honey did you use in this? Also, what kind of a flavor did this end up having? The yaupon holly honey is less expensive than I expected, this may be getting bumped up on my "to do" list.

I didn't write down how much I used...I want to say about 2 quarts worth, but I could be wrong about that.

Also, get the yaupon holly honey. It has a strong wood and spice flavor to it and is perfect in so many things.

Excellent. Thanks for posting this. I love finding new types of honey to try for meads. I found it online for $9 a pound, $14 for a quart, pretty reasonable it seems. It sounds like this might be a perfect fall/winter type of mead. I'll definitely give it a shot. Thanks again.

The Woodsman:

2 quarts maple syrup
1 quart hickory syrup
Yaupon Holly (think christmas shrub) honey
water to just above 3 gallons

Started this one on 01-11-16, SG @ 1.12.

Racked this in February, then again on 03-27-16.

Lovely photo, I really like the whole theme/name.
Regards, GF.

Thanks. We are still arguing over how to finish it out. I want to backsweeten and oak it.
Manthing doesn't want me to touch it and just put it into bottles.

rack off a couple of bottles as is & then backsweeten & oak the rest, everybody's happy. :)
Regards, GF.

Back