The wheat frontier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chipman

Reaction score
I'm planning on brewing up an AG dunkelweizen this weekend and I have a few questions about using wheat malt.

How fine a crush works well with wheat? Is it ok to pulverize it into flour as it's huskless anyway? I plan on using a generous amount of rice hulls so I hope the runoff goes well.

Also, I batch sparge. I vorlauf until the wort is mostly clear, and runoff until it starts getting cloudy again. I add some Whirlfloc bits to the boil too and try to keep a fair amount of the cold break out of the ferm tank.

(If you think either of these matter to begin with) do you think either of them will matter with a going to be cloudy anyway wheat?

Any other hints / tips you can throw my way for dealing with wheat?

Thanks!

You don't want to pulverize the wheat malt. Just crush it the same as you do with barley malt. Rice hulls are a good idea to help avoid stuck mash/sparge.

Vorlauf as normal.

Final tip: Enjoy!

Agree with Clonefarmer... Only thing I do different from regular ales is step mash isntead of single infusion if using flaked wheat or rye in your recipie...

Back