The way we look at malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eagle23

Reaction score
I was looking for something malt related online the other night, cant remember what but it led me to this.

https://drinkdrakes.com/john-gs-jibber-jab-why-do-us-brewers-care-less-about-malt/

I read through it a couple of times, read the links and it really got me thinking, do we in the states not give as much thought to the grains we use as we do other ingredients in our beers?

I know when I first started brewing, I followed the recipe that I was using which just called for x number of pounds of 2-row, and as far as base malts go, its all I've ever used. When I look at recipes, 9 times out of 10 it calls for 2-row or 6-row as a base, maybe Maris Otter but that's about it. Heck, the only reason I only came across this topic in the first place was because I found an Malster nearby ( Skagit Valley Malting) who is making malts out of straight Copeland and Alba.

Here on the forum people ask from time to time about different types of barley, and their questions have been answered so I'm not saying that no one cares. I'm just wondering if we look at the grains we use with as much care as we should.

I dont even know if there is a craft malting scene in the US! There is Skagit Valley, then I know of Great Western and Briess in the states and that's it. ( Seriously if anyone knows of other malters big or small in the states let me know, I'd love to look into them)

So what does everyone think? Do brewers in the states both homebrewers and pro's approach malt with importance it is due?

Maris otter is 2-row has is pilsner malt which are way different. Maris Otter and american 2 row is not so much different in my personal taste bugs.

In Gordon Strong's "Modern Homebrew Recipes," he specifies brand name and malt type, and he discusses the differences between malts from different suppliers and regions. For instance, Crisp vs. Thomas Fawcett Chocolate malt, difference in SRM, flavor intencity etc. I appreciate the call for German and Belgian malts in Marzens and Dubbels, respectively, but frankly i found it frustrating that I would likely never get my hands on most of the malts he calls for without blowing my brew budget. Like hops, I am limited to what my lhbs carries.

Hops on the otherhand are sexier, and we still don't discuss them with the same intensity as the grain this guy wants to.

So what does everyone think? Do brewers in the states both homebrewers and pro's approach malt with importance it is due?

How can anyone answer that? Homebrewers and pro's are not some monolithic bloc that all do the same things. Everyone is doing their own thing.
I use very specific malts in my brews but haven't tried any of the specialty malts that are available from the small malt producers.
I juggle my time with work and many other interests and fit brewing into a pretty small time window, so I just don't have time to play around with too many different ingredients. If a recipe says use Marris Otter, Schill Kolsch Malt or CHÂTEAU wheat Chocolat, I figure that was put in there for a reason and I'll try to get those specific ingredients.
I have made substitutions and its interesting to compare the finished beers. So for me, specific malts are just as important as what hops and yeast I am using.

In Gordon Strong's "Modern Homebrew Recipes," he specifies brand name and malt type, and he discusses the differences between malts from different suppliers and regions. For instance, Crisp vs. Thomas Fawcett Chocolate malt, difference in SRM, flavor intencity etc. I appreciate the call for German and Belgian malts in Marzens and Dubbels, respectively, but frankly i found it frustrating that I would likely never get my hands on most of the malts he calls for without blowing my brew budget. Like hops, I am limited to what my lhbs carries.

Hops on the otherhand are sexier, and we still don't discuss them with the same intensity as the grain this guy wants to.

I enjoy malt flavours more then hop flavours.

I currently have 2 row, Pilsner, Golden Promise, and Victory on hand in bulk bags and 3-4 types of caramel malt. I like to experiment and build recipes. So I DO pay attention to the malt because it is the back bone of a beer.

My LHBS charges the same price for all "base" malt other than Pale 2-Row and, I think, White Wheat Malt - pilsner, Maris Otter, Vienna, and Munich, that I can recall off the top of my head - as they do for specialty malts.

This tends to influence my purchasing patterns, since aside from wanting to support the local guys (well, a little less since they've discontinued Aromatic malt, but still >.>) I'd be hemorrhaging money in shipping otherwise (not to mention waiting a lot).

I know of two new small maltsters in Texas. One in Fort Worth is called TexMalt and one just outside of Austin is called Blacklands Malt. The LHBS stores that I buy from have 1-2 malts from them normally, and I like trying to use them.

I am definitely interested in the variations in malt and flavors. But I don't really care for beers that are malt-bombs. I prefer ones with a nice balance between the malty character and hops.

i work at a commercial brewery and i can tell you that we switch from maris otter to rahr in recipes all the time and you really cant tell much of a difference.
As far as the original question im pretty sure craft malters are popping up everywhere at least here in NY.

marris otter from who though? Most if not all the maltsters in the uk have a MO malt and often a low colour MO too and they are different, even if subtlety so simply due to process. Also MO is well thought of in the uk mainly due to its mashing properties, rather than flavour (although any marketing spiel will say it has superior flavour) in older british brewing systems due to the size and structure of the husk, modern systems can make better use of finer milled malt so the main benefit of MO is lost.

One thing I would say is that is quite hard to get bad malt, all the maltsters make good quality brewing malt ever Bairds who are the cheapest of the cheap in the UK. If you get bad malt it tends to be because of third party storage conditions, or if you get it badly milled or store it badly yourself

i work at a commercial brewery and i can tell you that we switch from maris otter to rahr in recipes all the time and you really cant tell much of a difference.
As far as the original question im pretty sure craft malters are popping up everywhere at least here in NY.

Your signature made me laugh haha

IPA's are super overrated and i don't like 95% of them.

The only one i can think of is Mill St. West Coast IPA. Which is a really nice beer.

Back