The Walking dead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now, I know it's only a show....Dramatic licence and all that.....But the pysics behind the zombies snapping those timber braces? That was just laughable. Come on guys! That was just crazy!

I don't know... Adam Savage was saying on Talking Dead afterwards that they did an experiment on Mythbusters where they had a bunch of people just push forward in a group and he was amazed at how easy it was to go through the blockade that was set up.

Albeit, from the sound of it the blockade was a piece of wood set up across a doorway (I didn't watch the episode) or something. Not pushing down the length of a tree.

We notice the trees breaking easily, but not the skulls that can be crushed by a foot :)

Or stabbed easily through the forehead even when it's a minute-fresh zombie. I noticed that one in this episode too, but was already kinda accustomed to seeing that one! :)

Anyways, it's not a real gripe. The timbers breaking was just a new one for me. ;)

I really loved the "Oh man, what now" look on his face when he got out of his kiddie tent.

I wasn't expecting the governor to turn protagonist, kinda thought the crazy rampage of murder would continue with him slaughtering the new family.

I'm not sure he's protagonist. More like sociopath in the weeds, contemplating his decisions. I think that if he's pushed, he will return to being the Guv'ner that we've all grown to despise. Pretty sure that will happen quick.

I kept waiting for him to grab one of the girls heads and just bash it into the table.

His "I'm a pirate" joke was pretty funny though.

Protagonist doesn't mean good guy. It's possible for an evil villain to be a protagonist. That being said, I'm pretty sure the governor is still an antagonist. They just like to humanize their antagonists on this show.

I'm not sure he's protagonist. More like sociopath in the weeds, contemplating his decisions. I think that if he's pushed, he will return to being the Guv'ner that we've all grown to despise. Pretty sure that will happen quick.

I kept waiting for him to grab one of the girls heads and just bash it into the table.

His "I'm a pirate" joke was pretty funny though.

I don't know... If you really think about it, up until Mishone killed his "daughter" was the Guv' really doing anything that terrible? Some of it may have been a bit edgy and not well thought out--more knee jerk emotional reactions rather than logical decisions-- but really all he was doing was defending Woodbury which allowed Milton time to study the walkers in an attempt learn how Penny may be turned from a walker back into his little girl. That's the impression I got. I think even the head museum was used to that end in order to give Milton more brains to study. Armed soldiers in an apocalypse scenario could legitimately have been seen as a potential threat to their society, and the prison group went to Woodbury first; not the other way around.

Let's not forget, even lovable Herschel had a barn full of walkers at one point in hopes that he might be able to cure his family and friends, so maybe we shouldn't judge the Guv' too harshly...especially now that we can see that once upon a time he was a good man who was capable of caring.

Having said that though, I do think that without meeting up with his old men the Guv' could have spent the rest of his life being a husband and father again, but being faced with his Woodbury crew will probably reawaken all the old anger and desire for revenge.

Good point bringing up Herschel's zombie barn. It will be interesting to see how he handles being subordinate to the people he once led. I'm thinking he turns it around, IMO he want's to be a family man again

He sure didn't look back to see if they were ok as they limped along.

Ain't nobody got time for that.

But seriously, I'm pretty sure the clips from the next episode showed them very alive. And I'm sure they'd understand.

I hate the previews. I don't like it when they give away stuff from the next episode. I always end up lunging for the remote to try to change it in time. This week they snuck it in randomly while I was watching comic book men and caught me off guard. Ended up watching most of it before I could find the remote and turn it off. They should warn you before they do that crap.

previews for Mad Men are the best

"here's what the characters are going to say on the next episode"

with absolutely no indication of what is actually going to occur on the next episode

I thought the last episode was a bit of a waste. Whatever is coming in the future, they basically spent the entire episode trying to humanise The Governor, when quite frankly, it is too late. The guy has proven himself to be a total ****** already. No amount of kiddy cuddling is going to change what he is in the eyes of the viewer.

Laughing_Gnome_Invisible said:
I thought the last episode was a bit of a waste. Whatever is coming in the future, they basically spent the entire episode trying to humanise The Governor, when quite frankly, it is too late. The guy has proven himself to be a total ****** already. No amount of kiddy cuddling is going to change what he is in the eyes of the viewer.

Remember Merle? I would have said the same thing about him. But they managed to humanize him just enough to make it a little sad when he died. I'm not saying the governor can redeem himself, but I'm guessing they're gonna try to make him a little bit less cartoonishly evil before they kill him.

Remember Merle? I would have said the same thing about him. But they managed to humanize him just enough to make it a little sad when he died. I'm not saying the governor can redeem himself, but I'm guessing they're gonna try to make him a little bit less cartoonishly evil before they kill him.

Merle was an arsehole too. ;)

I provided a training today. I was reviewing the list of attendees just now, and someone's first name was Governor.

Seriously.

I kept waiting for him to snap. Kill the family within minutes or that first night. Strangle that chic in the truck while having sex with her. Kidnap that little girl, which he still may do. Something.

Hell, I half wanted to kill that family just for being stupid. I mean, for one, who doesn't know to shoot zombies in the head? For two, who doesn't know it after living in a zombie apocalypse? Even if they had food in that truck, how could they not clear out and explore their building a little better? They couldn't even go get that backgammon game.

I kept waiting for him to snap. Kill the family within minutes or that first night. Strangle that chic in the truck while having sex with her. Kidnap that little girl, which he still may do. Something.

Hell, I half wanted to kill that family just for being stupid. I mean, for one, who doesn't know to shoot zombies in the head? For two, who doesn't know it after living in a zombie apocalypse? Even if they had food in that truck, how could they not clear out and explore their building a little better? They couldn't even go get that backgammon game.

I kinda agree, but how the hell would they know what turned people zombie. If I had a food truck, I would not wander very far.

Hell, I half wanted to kill that family just for being stupid. I mean, for one, who doesn't know to shoot zombies in the head?

They obviously live in an alternate world that has no cultural concept of zombies. Otherwise, people would just universally be calling them "zombies" rather than every group having a different term for them.

emjay said:
They obviously live in an alternate world that has no cultural concept of zombies. Otherwise, people would just universally be calling them "zombies" rather than every group having a different term for them.

I've noticed that most zombie movies take place in this alternative world where no one has ever seen a zombie movie. I like the ones where they live in the real world and know what zombies are, but they do tend to be kind of goofy.

I don't see how you could survive that long without figuring out that a head shot is what kills zombies. At some point you've got to kill one or at least witness someone else do it. I think you'd be dead otherwise.

This is killing me. Am I alone here, or does anybody else feel sorry for the Governor? I truly want to like this guy, and really think this is an excellent example of the road to Hell being paved with good intentions. He really is trying to do the right thing in an odd serial killer, psychotic kind of way...lol. Those he killed this week died because they showed weakness, and he felt they were going to be unable to defend his new family.

I hope there is at least some type of redemption for him before he falls, because I do think he is a good man underneath all the bad **** the apocalypse brought out in him.

He's self serving. If he does anything seemingly good, it's because it benefits him. Once that benefit runs out, he's done with whoever he got it from.

Rick's group should kill him on sight.

See...I have a problem with that view. I tried to see him in that light, but he really never does anything for himself. It's not that he just does bad things. He does bad things for the right reasons. Ethically, to label him as evil, he must be doing these things with the intent of doing evil, which is quite opposite of what he is doing.

Oddly enough, with the restrictions of society removed in a post apocalyptic world, I think the Governor is a more accurate representation of what most fathers and husbands would be when placed in that situation; not Rick. What you're seeing is the transformation of a man who probably spent his whole life getting sand kicked in his face as he tried to do right by his family only to lose them. What man wouldn't spend months--even years--feeling like a complete failure and wrestling with those emotions. Now he exists in a world where he can say,"I want this for my people, and I'll be damned if anybody is going to stop me."

I think most people hate the governor because he is that dark shadow person we all try to keep hidden. We all see ourselves in the governor and what he does, knowing damn good and well we would do the same in his shoes in that situation to keep our own family safe and healthy.

Now, I will concede that he did go off the deep end for a bit after Mishone put Penny down, but I still stand firm that prior to that he was justified in everything he did, and is justified in what he is doing now.

but I still stand firm that prior to that he was justified in everything he did, and is justified in what he is doing now.

Didn't The Gov and his goons murder a group of soldiers and steal their supplies early on in last season?

Hunting down michone and Andrea just because they had differing opinions. Having Merle torture glen and threatening Maggie. Are these justified?

He is an awesome villain but NOT a good person. More like 97% evil.

Latest posts

Back