The Walking dead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
even Romero will tell you that zombie movies ain't about zombies

and zombies are nothing but re-animated corpses. of course they're slower, just because they're re-animated doesn't mean they aren't still decomposing

Duh. They're about the perception of communism by America in the 60s.

That is a real notion. But, zombie stories are a lot older than the 1960s. Or 50s. Or 40s, in case anyone wants to do an origins kinda thing.

I say for all the workings of the commie story, we could say it's about the perils of succumbing to any group mentality. Cults, cliques, hipsters.

Others say zombies show us that our worst enemy is us.

Me, I see them as 'our worst enemy is us' because look how many tellings have them created by us. Witchdoctor zombie. Bio, chemical or nuke weapon zombie. Search for a cure for something else zombie. Angered the Gods zombie. Toxic waste zombie. Fear of death leads to search for immortality zombie. It's something we do and then it's us who comes back to bite us. "It's been us the whole time."

Zombies are also a numerous and unreasonable enemy. We can't make a truce with them. They don't care about sanctions. They don't need a single bargaining chip we have. They don't care and they aren't afraid.

And they don't offer a certainty. Maybe you get dead. Maybe you get undead.

And there's the whole collapse of the system thing. We could make any collapse of the system story a zombie story just by adding zombies.

I agree. This show has jumped the shark.

It's terrible when I see something..................... (ooohhh they could do this........... ahhhhhh they could do that.................. Oh, this is gonna be good!) Then the plot simply lets me down.

Sure, Andrea is a hooker. Now she's a dumb hooker.

There are so many different ways to go & make this thing pop. I just refuse to read a comic.

Spend time on the Redneck, the Ninja, the boy, even the baby.............................. even Rick picking up the phone had more possibilities.

Anybody else ever heard of "We're Alive" www.zombiepodcast.com ? A guy I know just told me about it, I've never really listened to podcasts before but it's kind of like the old school radio programs with better backing sound effects (well most of the time). I'm only on the first season, not sure how many or if it's still broadcasting or not but it's yet another zombie genre story.

Also, does anyone seem to notice that the zombies seem to be getting slower. Remember some of the season 1-2 scenes with the zombies literally RUNNING after them? Apparently they are lazy and out of shape without as much food to chase around.

This was touched in the comics (including the Zombies moving slower during the winter) actually in the comics zombies were always slower to a point that agile humans could run through small packs of zombies and you always could run around them.

That said I think they're going to wind up eventually at a zombie end game, when the body decomposes so much that they die off.

This was touched in the comics (including the Zombies moving slower during the winter) actually in the comics zombies were always slower to a point that agile humans could run through small packs of zombies and you always could run around them.

That said I think they're going to wind up eventually at a zombie end game, when the body decomposes so much that they die off.

I was actually wondering about the decomposing and no more zombies thing.

Something I'm curious about is the fact that season 1 they really cared about figuring out what caused the zombie apocalypse and such. I still really want to find that out, but that's something the characters don't talk about ever.

I can understand this, to a point, because I think as times have gotten tougher the group has had to focus more on survival than anything else and survival has become their only motivation. That said, I really hope that something is discovered. It's half of the reason I got into the show, season one was not a soap opera but a sci-fi miniseries in my book.

I was actually wondering about the decomposing and no more zombies thing.

Something I'm curious about is the fact that season 1 they really cared about figuring out what caused the zombie apocalypse and such. I still really want to find that out, but that's something the characters don't talk about ever.

I can understand this, to a point, because I think as times have gotten tougher the group has had to focus more on survival than anything else and survival has become their only motivation. That said, I really hope that something is discovered. It's half of the reason I got into the show, season one was not a soap opera but a sci-fi miniseries in my book.

Ain't going to happen. If it follows real life at all that is. When something bad happens, the first thing purple want to know is why it happened. If the answer doesn't come quick, purple tend to just move on and learn to coexist with the new reality.

Ain't going to happen. If it follows real life at all that is. When something bad happens, the first thing purple want to know is why it happened. If the answer doesn't come quick, purple tend to just move on and learn to coexist with the new reality.

I just don't get why most people appear to try and apply the "logic" of reality to these particular zombies, since there's absolutely no indication that the WRITERS will suddenly start doing so... they certainly haven't bothered to so far.

I'm a neuroscience student and so even the first season's explanation of how the "infection" worked by activating only the brain stem was cringe-worthy for me. And I'm not talking about a simple inability to suspend disbelief here... but without getting into a lengthy (and doubtlessly boring, for most) explanation of the science, I am saying that even if the basic premise was somehow actually possible (that the brain dies and *only* the "primal" brain stem eventually reactivates) the rest of it neither makes logical sense nor even aligns with some of the most basic, fundamental things we know about the brain. One thing even a layman should be able to pick up on is that even if these impossibilities unto impossibilities were somehow to happen, you'd at least have to target the brain stem itself, yet it's obvious that minor damage to simply anywhere on the brain (ie leaving the brain stem fully intact) supposedly guarantees a "kill", for lack of a better word (re-kill?).

And that kind of brings us to one of the most ridiculous ideas... the apparent (and astonishingly rapid) "decomposition" of the skull, that allows people to simply poke a mere pocket knife or piece of steel rebar ANYWHERE on the head and immediately kill the brain. And really, the writers have it this way because it's necessary to keep it even remotely entertaining by varying the kill methods rather than depending entirely on headshots with guns, which also serves to avoid the problem of limited ammo virtually guaranteeing the inevitable, sooner-rather-than-later death of every single survivor.

And just a funny thought I had after seeing the "stuffed" zombie who ate pretty much all of Lori... why don't we see zombie feces all over the place?! Certainly with all that eating, there's going to be a waste product that has to go somewhere, and unlike us humans, I don't think the zombies would particularly care when and where they happen to go.

Again, that's not to say I have any particular issue with the suspension of disbelief... I'm merely pointing out the frivolity of speculating about any aspect of the zombies - especially anything remotely relying on science - using the rules, logic, and properties of the world WE live in. The live-action nature of the show might make it easier to forget, but the world of TWD is still a comic book world, at best a caricature of the world we actually live in. Heck, it's why I have absolutely no problem with the seemingly absurd consistency with which the characters land headshots (which happens to be just as necessary as decomposing skulls, and for much the same reasons). Their world is not our world, it's as simple as that, and it's something demonstrated right down to this comic book-world's entire lack of so much as the concept of a zombie - a word they've deliberately never even used - prior to this apocalyptic scenario.

Whew... long post. tl;dr

And that kind of brings us to one of the most ridiculous ideas... the apparent (and astonishingly rapid) "decomposition" of the skull, that allows people to simply poke a mere pocket knife or piece of steel rebar ANYWHERE on the head and immediately kill the brain. And really, the writers have it this way because it's necessary to keep it even remotely entertaining by varying the kill methods rather than depending entirely on headshots with guns, which also serves to avoid the problem of limited ammo virtually guaranteeing the inevitable, sooner-rather-than-later death of every single survivor.

hahaha. This has made me fearful of touching my son's head. In fear that it just might collapse.

I think it's hysterical. Soon, you'll just be able to blow on the zombie and their head will cave.

I just don't get why most people appear to try and apply the "logic" of reality to these particular zombies, since there's absolutely no indication that the WRITERS will suddenly start doing so........................................................................................................................................................................................- a word they've deliberately never even used - prior to this apocalyptic scenario.

Whew... long post. tl;dr

Agreed. This could even take place in a paralell dimension since it could be argued that zombies don't exist in this one. Maybe in that dimension skulls are thinner and brains are located entirely in the stem.....which extends to the forehead.

Andrea's amazing accomplishments with a pocketknife make me wonder why the living even need guns....or fences for that matter.

Just go on a huge roundup arming every 5 year old and up with a pocket knife, and tie down old people when they sleep, and you are home free!

;)

What about the other colors?

I just don't get why most people appear to try and apply the "logic" of reality to these particular zombies, since there's absolutely no indication that the WRITERS will suddenly start doing so... they certainly haven't bothered to so far.

I'm a neuroscience student and so even the first season's explanation of how the "infection" worked by activating only the brain stem was cringe-worthy for me. And I'm not talking about a simple inability to suspend disbelief here... but without getting into a lengthy (and doubtlessly boring, for most) explanation of the science, I am saying that even if the basic premise was somehow actually possible (that the brain dies and *only* the "primal" brain stem eventually reactivates) the rest of it neither makes logical sense nor even aligns with some of the most basic, fundamental things we know about the brain. One thing even a layman should be able to pick up on is that even if these impossibilities unto impossibilities were somehow to happen, you'd at least have to target the brain stem itself, yet it's obvious that minor damage to simply anywhere on the brain (ie leaving the brain stem fully intact) supposedly guarantees a "kill", for lack of a better word (re-kill?).

And just a funny thought I had after seeing the "stuffed" zombie who ate pretty much all of Lori... why don't we see zombie feces all over the place?! Certainly with all that eating, there's going to be a waste product that has to go somewhere, and unlike us humans, I don't think the zombies would particularly care when and where they happen to go.

Again, that's not to say I have any particular issue with the suspension of disbelief... I'm merely pointing out the frivolity of speculating about any aspect of the zombies - especially anything remotely relying on science - using the rules, logic, and properties of the world WE live in. The live-action nature of the show might make it easier to forget, but the world of TWD is still a comic book world, at best a caricature of the world we actually live in. Heck, it's why I have absolutely no problem with the seemingly absurd consistency with which the characters land headshots (which happens to be just as necessary as decomposing skulls, and for much the same reasons). Their world is not our world, it's as simple as that, and it's something demonstrated right down to this comic book-world's entire lack of so much as the concept of a zombie - a word they've deliberately never even used - prior to this apocalyptic scenario.

Whew... long post. tl;dr

tl;dr

But if I did I still would've replied that it's the laws of that world the story exists in, and it still has inconsistencies there; like the any perforation of the head equals a kill thing. That touch football rule is a bit weak.

Agreed. This could even take place in a paralell dimension since it could be argued that zombies don't exist in this one. Maybe in that dimension skulls are thinner and brains are located entirely in the stem.....which extends to the forehead.

Andrea's amazing accomplishments with a pocketknife make me wonder why the living even need guns....or fences for that matter.

Just go on a huge roundup arming every 5 year old and up with a pocket knife, and tie down old people when they sleep, and you are home free!

;)

You want to use the old people as bait?

Anyone else forgoing tonight's episode to watch the NCAA tourney? Kinda bummed I have to wait until tomorrow to watch. #firstworldproblems

I canceled my cable TV service so I'll have to either watch it on Hulu, Amazon, or torrent it.

Or watch it like I do live on one of the sites like Justin Tv, ufreetv or myfreetv. Justin is the worse because their bots will usually find the channel, but the other two sites have been stable all season.

I just torrent them. They get put up in less than 5 minutes after airing on my private site (don't ask me how). Means I never get to watch the Talking Dead though... apparently nobody deems it torrent-worthy. Similar situation with the Breaking Bad (which is the best thing on TV) after-shows.

I just started using a site yesterday, my buddy sent an invite. I'm not sure how soon TWD but I'm not that worried about what time I watch. I did find on AMC.com that they do show at least clips of Talking Dead.

I just started using a site yesterday, my buddy sent an invite. I'm not sure how soon TWD but I'm not that worried about what time I watch. I did find on AMC.com that they do show at least clips of Talking Dead.

Is there an acronym for your site? Curious if it's the same one.

As far as AMC.com, all the American networks and cable channels restrict their video content to the USA, so I can't access it in Canada.

If it's the he I'm thinking, screw him. I'd be thinking which one of us will he give up next to keep himself safe. For the group my ass. And if he really believed that would have worked, he's an idiot and a backstabber.

But if it's the other he, yeah, I wish things would've worked out better for him.

I just torrent them. They get put up in less than 5 minutes after airing on my private site (don't ask me how). Means I never get to watch the Talking Dead though... apparently nobody deems it torrent-worthy. Similar situation with the Breaking Bad (which is the best thing on TV) after-shows.

I do something similar and Talking Dead is available. PM me for more info.

Man, that was a rather good episode. It didn't meander in any weird directions, it had good content. With everything they had done to set it up, I'm glad it wasn't a let down. Can't wait for the finale.

except the whole 'let's dress our badass lead character in a scarf the entire movie' approach...aside from that it looks pretty sweet

except the whole 'let's dress our badass lead character in a scarf the entire movie' approach...aside from that it looks pretty sweet

I can't watch videos at work, but I can safely assume the director would retort with something including the word 'kerchief.

Solid episode overall.

SPOILERS BELOW

But does it seem to me the writers go above and beyond to kill off characters this season? Lori had that agonizingly boring monologue, all to advance Carl as a character essentially. Then Merle has this change of heart (though only a small one) but again, it's not really that sensible. Why kill all those governor's minions before going after him if he's the one you want to take down? Also why was Ben killed off? There has to be an ulterior motive by the writers for that. Is that supposed to get Allen to not want to be part of Woodbury anymore? Or make him hate the Prison Group more? Cause it was done in a highly unceremonious way (except for Merle eating Ben's Corpse) and also, didn't it look like to anyone else that Ben was shot in the neck, not the head? Wouldn't he have turned before Merle could have feasted on him?

I dunno, I'm starting to wonder if season 4 will be worth it. I think Breaking Bad has the right idea in going out on top and lot letting the show die, I hope Walking Dead does as well, because things are starting to become tedious and show signs of poor writing all over the place.

I'm sorry, Executive Producer isn't a big enough title? They need to be cute and be called showrunners? WhoTF makes up this ****?

EDIT: I guess this is just a case of industry-ese leaching into general use.

I'm sorry, Executive Producer isn't a big enough title? They need to be cute and be called showrunners? WhoTF makes up this ****?

EDIT: I guess this is just a case of industry-ese leaching into general use.

No idea, but the articles I read said "showrunner" so that's what I went with. Is it really that big a deal?

Solid episode. Good character development all around. My only gripe is Rick flip-flopping on giving up Michonne. In the previous episode he figures the Gov will betray the deal but still thinks giving up Michonne is the right thing to do?!? All's well that ends well I suppose.

Who do you suppose is going down in the season finale?

My picks:
The Governor (obviously)
Nerdlinger (Milton)
Beth
Andrea
and half of Woodbury

Back