The 'Tsar Bomba' of IPAs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schol-R-LEA

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
What AIPA hop-bomb has the biggest bitterness? Assuming it is at peak freshness, of course. Conversely, what IPAs (even at their best) fall short in this, and which do you prefer - the massive hop bombs, far over to the bitter end of the spectrum, or the more balanced or even malty examples?

I've always been more for the English sub-style than the American, and even in American IPAs I tend to prefer the less outrageously hoppy examples - but I know that there are plenty of hopheads out there who won't drink anything with less than 65 IBUs, so it's all in one's preferences. What do you say?

I see you like my expression from the other Cooper's IPA thread. Well,our IPA's are "Tzar Bombas" compared to the English,original IPA. My own Cougar Country IPA clocks in @ 95.4 IBU's according to BS2.

Just brew a low malt high IBU IPA and you can cause perceived bitterness to shoot through the roof since the BU:GU will be through the roof.

I've used a pound of hops in each of my last two IIPAs. Albeit 8oz were after flamout/dh. They were "heady monster" and "enjoy pliny by"

Latest posts

Back