The taste of yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duncan.brown

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Not taste of the beer that it makes, but the yeast itself.

I generally taste my starters and fast fermentation tests to check for off flavors but when I taste thick slurry, I'm always surprised by the taste. To me, it has a very sharp taste. Not astringent or sour, but sharp. The yeast I tasted tonight is Wyeast 1318 top cropped off a batch of English bitter that started at 1.038 and is now at 1.014. I kegged the beer so it can spund to serving carbonation and top cropped the yeast from the fermenter into my separation flask. I over filled the flask a bit, so fresh krausen is dripping down the side. That's what I tasted (you can see the finger marks in the images below).

Does anyone else get this sharp taste? If you've tasted it, what does brewers yeast taste like to you?

flask1.jpgflask2.jpg

Ha! That’s it.

I guess the good news is that it’s a flavor I’ve never tased in my beers. The bad news is that I’m in my basement at 11.45pm on a Friday night eating yeast...

Last edited:
you're a baller man.....not only do you have a ring stand for a seperatory funnel, you eat the yeast cake!!! lol, the best way to 'eat' the yeast i've found is putting it in beef broth....if that helps....

Remember my Dad standing in my kitchen eating a cake of bakers yeast out of my fridge and remarking how unpleasantly bitter it was, but not stopping... not long before it was determined that he had both celiac induced pica and Parkinson's related dementia... yeah, don't do that anymore! You still have all your marbles!

Remember my Dad standing in my kitchen eating a cake of bakers yeast out of my fridge and remarking how unpleasantly bitter it was, but not stopping... not long before it was determined that he had both celiac induced pica and Parkinson's related dementia... yeah, don't do that anymore! You still have all your marbles!

but it's good source of folate, other b vitamins, protein......yeast is actually healthy!!!

I tell my starters that if they don't make a good batch, then this is where they are ending up!
I friggin love Marmite! One of the enduring vices I picked up living in England... but it's a lot more pleasant than raw yeast somehow.

It was before I was born so it didn't happen. I'm not scared of a marmite scoffing queen.

damn it... are you trying to get me in trouble...i edited that quick, i thought....don't want to get in trouble....again...... :mug: lol

edit: only on HBT can a thread about eating yeast cakes, turn too political!!! better pay up buddy! :D

edit #2: not even eating yeast cakes, but the proper way to serve them! ;)

Last edited:
Back