**** the supermarkets.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orfy

For the love of beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I might finally of made my last trip to the supermarket.

I found this auction (not a market) 10 miles away.:rockin:

This is probably about 1/10 of the product on sale.
Then there is also live stock sales.

All local produce and the sellers are usually on hand.

dsc00006lq1.jpg

dsc00003vc0.jpg

dsc00017gb7.jpg

It's always nice to be able to find and support stuff like that. About two weeks ago I was really bummed because a coworker's wife said she saw a local Eastern European Market close. I had been giving them my business and for good reason, they had the best quality smoked fish, herring, etc at the best prices. Turns out, she had gotten it confused. It was the shop next door!

We have those in the United States. We call them "farmer's markets" or sometimes people call them "the co-op".

One really cool thing that is growing in popularity is buying shares from local farms (usually Organic producers). If I didn't grow/raise a good portion of our food then I'd probably go that route.

One really cool thing that is growing in popularity is buying shares from local farms (usually Organic producers). If I didn't grow/raise a good portion of our food then I'd probably go that route.

The cool thing about this is that it's an auction with not a lot of public so it's trade rather than retail prices.

I grow my own fruit and veg I don't do my own meat or cheese (Yet) so it helps there.

I pulled this a couple of days ago.

parsnipae0.jpg

The cool thing about this is that it's an auction with not a lot of public so it's trade rather than retail prices.

I grow my own fruit and veg I don't do my own meat or cheese (Yet) so it helps there.

I pulled this a couple of days ago.

parsnipae0.jpg

Oh that's nice that it's an auction.

Love me some Parsnips. I love them in the Spring just after the ground thaws.

Oh that's nice that it's an auction.

Love me some Parsnips. I love them in the Spring just after the ground thaws.

A day or so in the fridge does the same thing.
We have to watch they don't rot here it's that wet. I'm starting to crop now and will do a couple a week until they run out.

The produce usually goes for between 25%-75% of retail

The fancy weekend farmers markets normally go for 125% retail around here.
It's the fashionable thing to do!

We have those in the United States. We call them "farmer's markets" or sometimes people call them "the co-op".

Orfy's is something a little different from what we are used to here. It's an actual auction, not just walking up to a booth, picking what you want and paying for it. They have one nearby here in the middle of an amish area. Besides produces, eggs, meat etc. they also do live animals. I'd love to go, but it's in the middle of the week during the day.

Looks nice. There's a Farmer's Market that operates most of the summer over in McMinnville, but that's 25 miles.

There are 2 amish communities not far from Cleveland that both have similar farm auctions but primarily for produce. The main buyers are restaurants and local grocery stores.
The supermarkets, especially the locally owned ones, are picking up on the locally grown produce and selling a good bit of it in season. The label it distinctly and display many of the items in a prominent location in the store.
The prices at the farm market are comparable to the supermarket but you are buying directly from the farmer. The local farm market does not allow resellers only local farmers and craftsmen are allowed. Its a great place to pick up some fresh food.
Still your auction looks like a good deal if you can buy in quantities small enough to manage. Most auctions I have seen like that tend to deal in bulk.

Craig

Back