The Sun Never Sets clone: an India Wheat Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdxsteve

Reaction score
Hi all, new here but wanted to share a recipe I'm brewing since I haven't come across another version of it anywhere. This comes from the brewmaster at Gigantic Brewing in Portland, Ben Love, who was awesome enough to share a scaled down version of my favorite lager ever, The Sun Never Sets. They made this in 2015, and like most of their beers it was a seasonal release. This one was a collaboration with breweries in New Zealand and the Netherlands, and used NZ hops exclusively. It's my first attempt at a lager, so it's a learning process but so far so good.

Here's what Ben shared:

SG 16P
FG 1.8P
7.2% ABV

70% Weyermann Pils
30% Malted Wheat
Acidulated Malt for pH adjustment

Hops

Boil Start
.1oz Pac jade

15 Minutes before boil stop
2oz Pacifica

Whirlpool (hold for 30 minutes before cooling)
1oz Motueka
2oz Pacific Jade

Ferment with Bohemian Lager yeast at 50F til 50% attenuation. Then allow to free rise in to 60F+ for diacetyl rest and dry hopping.

Dry Hop
1.5oz Motueka
2.5oz Pacific Jade
-----

I pitched a stepped up 4L starter using Wyeast 2124 and had krausen within 24 hours. Portland water is quite neutral so I just added 2g of CaCl, and 6oz of acidulated malt. I used a 2 step Hochkurz mash at 145F and 160F (although as usual I have trouble getting the second mash temp high enough in the igloo-tun). Hit an OG of 1.062, slightly lower than target, for a brewhouse efficiency of 85%. Should be ready to check the attenuation at day 6-7 I think? Planning to do the D-rest in the primary and then transfer to secondary for the lager (seems like there's different opinions about this).

20170903_140959.jpg

So I checked my attenuation today (day 7) and the SG has dropped to 1.020, which calculates to an apparent attenuation of 67%. Is there some evidence behind the recommendation to raise the temp for a d-rest when attenuation is at 50%, vs later?

That looks like a pretty tasty beer! Might have to give it a try. I've done a few lagers and I have just waited till active fermentation has slowed then done a d rest which is usually between 3-4 days. All your looking to do is let the yeast clean up after themselves.

Latest posts

Back