The stupidest comment on your beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey at least your friend's mom was trying! Im impressed that the lady did some reading so as to perpetuate a conversation on the matter.

Oh yeah, we actually had a good conversation about beer, and she seemed genuinely interested. She told me her favorites are porters and IPS's because she liked beers that taste like chocolate and/or dirt.

She was more interesting to talk to than the friend's boyfriend, who kept complaining that the Super Bowl commercials weren't funny enough.

Oh yeah, we actually had a good conversation about beer, and she seemed genuinely interested. She told me her favorites are porters and IPS's because she liked beers that taste like chocolate and/or dirt.

She was more interesting to talk to than the friend's boyfriend, who kept complaining that the Super Bowl commercials weren't funny enough.

you shoulda done a flying elbow drop in his wedding tackle when he wasn't paying attention. then look square in his eye and say in the most serious tone you can manage, "This shizzle just got funny. Fo' rizzle."

One of my buddies (a PBR loyalist) after trying my new session IPA (4%, 70 IBUs) "Wow, that is so strong. I don't think I can finish this, I need to drive home."

I've definitely noticed a lot of people, including people I love and respect, seem to think that strong tasting (or strong tasting to the) = more alcohol.

I've definitely noticed a lot of people, including people I love and respect, seem to think that strong tasting (or strong tasting to the) = more alcohol.

As I share my homebrew with more people I'm noticing this more and more. Most of my friends are beer geeks like me so they understand them but some of them only drink the American light lagers and don't know any better. My goal is to teach them and convert them all to the wonders of microbrews.

One of my buddies (a PBR loyalist) after trying my new session IPA (4%, 70 IBUs) "Wow, that is so strong. I don't think I can finish this, I need to drive home."

Might have just been his polite way of not wanting to finish it. I have turned down pbr using that same excuse.

I think some people really don't want their false beer "knowledge" challenged, because they like repeating certain things. For example, one guy I know was telling his buddy that each Guinness draught was like 2 Miller's. I told him that actually the Miller was higher in alcohol than the Guinness, and he just completely shrugged it off and I heard him repeat the same line about a half hour later.

Misinformation from beer commercials (i.e. "cold brewed" , "triple hopped") and folk legend ("Guinness used to have dead rats in their fermenters so now they toss steak in the kettle/fermenter") seem to have a stronger hold on the uninitiated than real people with knowledge and experience. "Guinness is super strong" and "You can chew Guinness" sadly are two that just won't go away.

Talk about a stupid. Not quite a comment, but my wife just implied her nails were more important than my 5 gallons of lager.

I was in the middle of racking a beer and our puppy was going nuts at the door to go out and relieve himself. I asked my wife if she could let him out, but her nails were drying and she basically shrugged me off! I was on my last gallon, but he couldn't hold it and pissed on the carpet. Now I have two messes to clean up tonight.

Talk about a stupid. Not quite a comment, but my wife just implied her nails were more important than my 5 gallons of lager.

I was in the middle of racking a beer and our puppy was going nuts at the door to go out and relieve himself. I asked my wife if she could let him out, but her nails were drying and she basically shrugged me off! I was on my last gallon, but he couldn't hold it and pissed on the carpet. Now I have two messes to clean up tonight.

Ah, the balances of life exemplified! Hope the beer turns out well! :mug:

This past weekend I was sharing some Centennial Blonde with my neighbor. He told me it was like wine. He probably said it about 10 times. I still don't know what me meant!

I will often give my grandpa homebrew or craft beer and everytime, "Man! That's got some serious bite!" Still not really sure what he means :lol:

Wasn't about home brew, but when I told a co-worker that I was a beer snob and pretty picky, he said, "So... what... you, like, drink Blue Moon?"

my neighbor's brother comes over to his house often, and he's a friend. i offered him a beer last weekend. he said "nah, man, i don't like dark beer". it was an srm 3 fizzy yellow water beer

This past weekend I was sharing some Centennial Blonde with my neighbor. He told me it was like wine. He probably said it about 10 times. I still don't know what me meant!

I think I recall someone trying my apfelwein and saying it tasted like beer. Maybe because it wasn't sweet?

Not beer but one of my meads and the comment was on a score sheet from a BJCP judge.

"still a little young, hot alcohol will dissipate with age. Just needs more time"

It was a 4 year old sweet mead with a low to moderate alcohol level. It actually had was beginning to get a bit of oxidation happening from repeated transfers and bottling. I was reviewing the score sheet with a couple other judges all while sampling some of the mead in question and we all stood there doing imaginary face palms.

Mostly I get rave reviews on my beers but most of the BMC drinkers do not ask for a second pint. My sister in law is an exception, she is hard core Bud Light all the way but clamors for as much of my Dry Irish Stout as she can get from me.

I had someone tell me a stout I made tasted like soy sauce. I also had someone else tell me that same night that the exact same stout was the best beer they had ever had. People are weird.

For some reason I alway get people satin that's high octane ( 3.5% beer lol) because people by me always look at it as moonshine. But they keep coming back to more!

I had one person ask if I was unemployed, and then asked if I was trying to avoid taxes

For some reason I alway get people satin that's high octane ( 3.5% beer lol) because people by me always look at it as moonshine. But they keep coming back to more!

I had one person ask if I was unemployed, and then asked if I was trying to avoid taxes

I love avoiding taxes by homebrewing. Tax on booze in Canada is ridiculous.

day_trippr said:
Hardly, son. Add up what I've paid in taxes over a 40 year career and most people would piss their pjs.

But reality is reality, no getting 'round it...

Cheers!

Sweet, I'm going to quit my job. It sounds like you can support both of us :D

5 gallons is impossible. You'd die of alcohol poisoning. 18 beers on the other hand is not that far fetched. I work with a guy that says he drinks 30 cans of bud every Friday and Saturday. When I played in a dart league, I would routinely drink 18 or more. Now that I'm married and have kids, I'm never out long enough to drink more than 10. I have drank a whole TAD bottle in one sitting though which is quite a bit. Maybe I should stop with my drinking stories now.

I think its possible. I drank a LOT of beer while I was in college. I'd bet I came damn close to 5 gallons one St Pattys day.

jimmarshall said:
I have a recipe for an all grain triple ipa I can't wait to try once I get into all grain.... >11%, anticipated IBU 387.6

Lol that's pretty much out of control! Your mouth would turn into a permanent pucker!
Aren't our taste buds not even able to recognize anything much over 70 IBU's? Thought I read that somewhere

Back