The Sith Lord - Black IPA (CDA)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Holy_Hops

Reaction score
So I've been brewing for 2 years or so now and this was, by far, the best beer I made.

It was inspired by a few recipes I got out of Mitch Steele's new IPA book. It ended up with a nice, toasty dark character. The warm alcohol in it meshed perfectly for a fantastic mid-winter brew. The late hop character, too, balanced really well, I think.

All in all, this beer was phenomenal. It also knocked me on my ass during the Super Bowl after only 3 of them. Don't underestimate the power of the Dark Side.

1.079 SG 98.2 IBUs 37.2 SRM 8.6% ABV
(My system gets around 67% efficiency. Adjust to your set-up and liking.)

Grain
12 LBS 2-Row
1 Lb. 2 oz. Carafa II Dehusked
1 lb. Caramel 40
1 Lb. Caramunich II
1 lb. Table Sugar (Added 5 min. before flameout)

Hops
1 oz. Simcoe First Wort
1 oz. Magnum 60 min
½ oz Cascade 5 Min.
½ oz Simcoe 5 Min.
½ oz. Cascade 2 min.
½ oz Simcoe 2 min.
2 oz. Cascade – 7 Day dry Hop
1 oz. Simcoe – 7 Day dry hop

Yeast – Wyeast 1272 American Ale II
Mash at 151F

Sounds good, especially the hop schedule. I like the concept of bunching most of the hops very early and very late.

If I were to provide any constructive advice, it would be to try to lessen the carafa, caramunich, and crystal 40 all by half and replace the lost amount for some midnight wheat and carapils, which will help you with head and body.

Looks really interesting! I have been looking for something to brew this weekend....

Also with this one I used a big 2 liter yeast starter and fermented at the low end of the strain (about 60-62F). The yeast really got out of the way to let the malt and hops shine through.

Back