The San Diego area thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wife veto'd alpine tomorrow, said she'd rather tick a new brewery. Mixed feels.

Will hit super reuben tomorrow on way up north, hopefully noon to 1ish. 1v1willwreku will that kill your gainz for the week? moonsovermyhammy may be down.
dat der work and miltons being 30-40 minutes away. would tick at dz akins.

You make quite the cute couple...

alg-arnold-schwarzenegger-mildred-baena1-jpg.jpg

How the **** did he even get it up for that?

Haha don't like MT eh? I love them for finally doing something different in San Diego.
I do like them, a little. Oneida is a great beer and their stout w/ coconut on nitro was fantastic. Other than that I haven't been too impressed with their beers but every batch gets a little better. I want to like their Brett IPA so bad but it's just lacking...hopefully they can bump the quality a little and then they'll be on to something.

Have yet to try or even look into anything modern times. you guys just sparked my interest.

not happy about this though
64e5fcd283fada682c1455e8fa0465ad_large.jpg

Adelaide is gonna need a shoutout.

See they have a dry hopped berliner on tap. Will go this weekend to taste and compare to the pizza boy one I just had which was the absolute tits, good luck modern times.

Any one try this yet?

Try Blazing World and Fortunate Islands if you see them. Hoppy amber and hoppy wheat.
Well I'm not going to be in SD again for a while, but I'll keep that in mind. I doubt I'll go to their tasting room, and at Churchill's (or whatever) other stuff will likely take priority. I still have a bad taste in my mouth from their owner lying (or being a moron, I don't know which) on BA and then saying that I was the one being terrible.

Huh? Do tell more, I'm not on BA anymore.
This was way old, it's in the thread about the growler policy. I'd look it up but am super lazy. The gist is that he said it's a PITA to get approval for multiple growler sizes, which it absolutely isn't, it's literally writing one more size on a line on a form. He also said that the counter-pressure filler needs to be calibrated for each size, which it actually doesn't (at least according to their promotional material). He then called me names because I called him out on this stuff, and didn't respond at all when drgarage and I systematically disproved everything he said.

Like I said, it left a bad taste in my mouth. I think people should generally have the balls to admit when they're wrong.

This was way old, it's in the thread about the growler policy. I'd look it up but am super lazy. The gist is that he said it's a PITA to get approval for multiple growler sizes, which it absolutely isn't, it's literally writing one more size on a line on a form. He also said that the counter-pressure filler needs to be calibrated for each size, which it actually doesn't (at least according to their promotional material). He then called me names because I called him out on this stuff, and didn't respond at all when drgarage and I systematically disproved everything he said.

Like I said, it left a bad taste in my mouth. I think people should generally have the balls to admit when they're wrong.
Got it, thanks!

I cannot comment on the approval for labels being a PITA, though it does seem to be taking a hell of a long time for some breweries (Alesmith?) who said that was the only thing holding them up from filling generic growlers.

After seeing the counter pressure filler in person, I can see what they mean by "calibrating" for different growlers. The stand would need to be adjusted for different growler heights. While possible, it would be time consuming, and I am not sure if there are issues if the height is not set perfectly (good/bad seal). I do know they fill grumblers (half growlers) for the people who joined their club during their kickstarter. For that they have a custom platform that can be placed on the existing platform to compensate for the height difference. I am not sure if they will fill blank half growlers for non-members.

What I remember from that thread was a look of frustration (understandably) due to the hesitation of acceptance of the actual growler laws by CA breweries. I do not feel MT fits into this category though. Can they improve? Sure, but they weren't even open yet, they had/have quick growth and plans (already canning), and were trying out a unique growler fill method not employed by many breweries. I understand why they do not want to go out and promise something they cannot deliver on (RR). Plus, their priority is filling growlers properly, not filling every single type of vessel. I am sure filling all forms of growlers is on their to-do list, just not a priority as there are many other things that take higher priority. Also, I bet if they were filling growlers like everyone else (a tube from the tap line) they would gladly fill all sizes of growlers, but that is not the system they chose.

I also don't recall "name calling", though i am also too lazy to look that thread up also. I cannot imagine Jacob resorting to name calling when he has stated numerous times that part of his business model is customer feedback from the beer geek crowd.

I also don't recall "name calling", though i am also too lazy to look that thread up also. I cannot imagine Jacob resorting to name calling when he has stated numerous times that part of his business model is customer feedback from the beer geek crowd.
I am not quick to offend. I can assume you that he directly called me something or other, though I forget exactly what.

All I can say is that the promotional materials for the thing they have specifically mention easy ways to adjust height, so I'm inclined to think that they're just being overly sensitive to how exactly it needs to be sealed. But none of it really matters now.

Probably going to split tasting flights with wife. Brought a generic 64oz growler with the intent of getting a fill.

Being one of the more outspoken voices re: generic growlers, I feel the moral obligation to support breweries with more liberal growler fill policies, even if they aren't as lax as I'd prefer.

If there's something good/great, I might even share it.

See they have a dry hopped berliner on tap. Will go this weekend to taste and compare to the pizza boy one I just had which was the absolute tits, good luck modern times.

Any one try this yet?

Tried it about a week ago, I really wanted to like it but it reminded me of a tart cleaning product. not sour, not really any flavor but it was crisp. I liked the attempt and kept in mind that it was a pilot batch. I've got hope for MT but ya btwn the BW and the whiskey coffee bean black house on cask (with no whiskey flavor), it was pretty disappointing. City of the Sun is tasty and I am looking forward to trying their wet hop IPA that just came out, Orderville.

How good is the restaurant? $100 for a 3-course meal with pairings is not a bad deal at all if the food is top-notch. If I were in SD I'd seriously consider going to that.
I've had the food that they serve in Hamilton's, best grilled cheese ever, but the sit down restaurant is supposed to be pretty nice.

I've had the food that they serve in Hamilton's, best grilled cheese ever, but the sit down restaurant is supposed to be pretty nice.

While being located nearby, Alchemy isn't affiliated with Hamilton's Cafe. That said, the food at Alchemy typically is very good.

on the subject of modern times, I cant recommend 1v1willwreku go there for dat der hoppy berliner.

Aroma was hoppy with a bit of beach sand, smelled very san diego.

Taste was all over the place. Bitterness up front was fighting with dat tasty berliner sour in a way that niether i or the wife liked.

did walk away with a growler fill of the "new" IPA, was not dissatisfied with any of the regular line-up but also wasnt impressed with anything.

The fact that parking was pretty shitty and I couldn't get the gal behind the bar to recommend anywhere to safely park put a pretty shitty damper on the whole experience. Having experienced a few shitty car tow situations will put a damper on any brewery visit, and the complete and utter lack of designated parking at modern times left me feeling a bit too anxiousl

tasting room layout was cool, liked comic book pages on one wall and sticky pad mosaic on opposite, but will not prioritize visiting a place thats such a pain in the ass to park around.

Back