The San Diego area thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The place was kind of an unnecessary eyesore to begin with. I peeked in there in the Before Times, and it was a tiny space that they kept incredibly dim for some reason.

In other news, I just received an email from Alpine yesterday as a part of their Lodge Club membership. I assumed they were going to talk about the recent **** that's gone down, but I guess they're just pretending everything is normal?

The place was kind of an unnecessary eyesore to begin with. I peeked in there in the Before Times, and it was a tiny space that they kept incredibly dim for some reason.

In other news, I just received an email from Alpine yesterday as a part of their Lodge Club membership. I assumed they were going to talk about the recent **** that's gone down, but I guess they're just pretending everything is normal?

Ignorance is bliss?

Triple can drop from NPBC today. I might have to get some WCDIPA.

I know it’s probably obvious to everyone else, but god damn beers are old at Bevmo. Get lucky if I find an IPA less then a month old (and also not room temp aged). Bought some brown ales and one of them was 3 years old. Any more reliable local options in Mira Mesa or am I basically screwed? Who’s got the freshest beer in that neighborhood?

I know it’s probably obvious to everyone else, but god damn beers are old at Bevmo. Get lucky if I find an IPA less then a month old (and also not room temp aged). Bought some brown ales and one of them was 3 years old. Any more reliable local options in Mira Mesa or am I basically screwed? Who’s got the freshest beer in that neighborhood?

I haven't bought beer from BevMo in years. Although you should be fine for high alcohol/barrel aged stuff.

Bine & Vine too far for you now?

San Diego Wine & Beer Co on Miramar Rd is super legit.

So I ended up drawing the line at $40 for 750ml. Although I can't do $20 4-packs either.
The only time I would pay decently more is something Belgian, like Golden Blend.

And I hear you on the $20 4-pks - although through the summer I did break that quite often with North Park Beer Company.

The only time I would pay decently more is something Belgian, like Golden Blend.

And I hear you on the $20 4-pks - although through the summer I did break that quite often with North Park Beer Company.
MT really started burning me on those 4 packs because they were often very average. As a whole, their seasonal releases are BETTER than their $20 4-packs, and CHEAPER.

MT really started burning me on those 4 packs because they were often very average. As a whole, their seasonal releases are BETTER than their $20 4-packs, and CHEAPER.
Yeah I've found myself stopping with Modern Times altogether. If I'm going to spend my money on expensive local IPAs, it's going to be with Kelsey at NPBC.

Yeah I've found myself stopping with Modern Times altogether. If I'm going to spend my money on expensive local IPAs, it's going to be with Kelsey at NPBC.

I keep getting a 4pk of the new stuff MT releases, but I am so burnt on hazy ipas that when I cracked a Sorta Mostly Dead (quite a while ago), I thought it was the nectar of the gods.

I keep getting a 4pk of the new stuff MT releases, but I am so burnt on hazy ipas that when I cracked a Sorta Mostly Dead (quite a while ago), I thought it was the nectar of the gods.

That’s how I feel now, burned on waaay too many years of bad purchases (some from MT and other local hazy producers). I want quality and freshness, and don’t want to pay for the premium that comes with rarity, haziness, or whatever else inflates the cost. While I do want an occasional BW or Bottlelogic pastry, I’m mostly hoping for fresh, non hazy hops. (Honestly Pliny shipped to my door has been my favorite since Covid times began)

Thanks to those reminding me about San Diego Wine, I agree competely. Local to Mira Mesa, that is far and away the best in terms of selection. Not sure on freshness, but will take a closer look next time I go.

Critical Band (their current quarterly distro seasonal) is the perfect example of that. Bangs hard and is like $13/4pk. On flavor alone, it beats a lot of the recent special release haze, but when you add value into the equation it tips the scales even further. There was a long period they were absolutely crushing it with the special release cans, but they've been extremely variable for several months now. MT7 was a big step in the right direction - hopefully, it was a sign of things to come.

If I'm going to spend my money on expensive local IPAs, it's going to be with Kelsey at NPBC.
And they're always well worth it. New batch of Scolari's was tasting great right out of the gate last night, looking forward to Stay Hazy and Mosaic Robot Fighter tonight.

Thanks to those reminding me about San Diego Wine, I agree competely. Local to Mira Mesa, that is far and away the best in terms of selection. Not sure on freshness, but will take a closer look next time I go.
Definitely check packaging dates. They do a good job of at least keeping their hoppy stuff cold, and popular beers tend to turn over quickly, but I've seen some things linger long enough that I wouldn't want to see how the beer is holding up.

A buddy brought one of those NPBC wild Thai banana bottles today to our socially distanced smash burger evening...hot damn that beer was good. Thick, not overly pronounced with banana flavor, but you still knew it was there, nice chocolate taste.

Yinz talking about $20/4pks for last page and a half.
Me:
1596770650287.gif

Almost every time I buy a pack of Citraholic or Amalgamator plus a pack of some hype IPA, I end up wishing I'd just bought two packs of the Beachwood.
Pizza port sixers have become my go to, can't beat the price.
The PP/Beachwood collab Beach Retreat is killer, one of the best beers I've had from PP ever.

The PP/Beachwood collab Beach Retreat is killer, one of the best beers I've had from PP ever.
Still need to buy one of these. I'll have to get a pack this weekend.

Somewhat offtopic: if any of you have an inside line on where I can get Stagg Jr. for a reasonable price, shoot me a line. It seems like just a few months ago I could readily find that bottle on shelves for $99ish, but now it's nowhere to be found - and Drizly has been a thoroughly, profoundly disappointing experience for whiskey.

Still need to buy one of these. I'll have to get a pack this weekend.

Somewhat offtopic: if any of you have an inside line on where I can get Stagg Jr. for a reasonable price, shoot me a line. It seems like just a few months ago I could readily find that bottle on shelves for $99ish, but now it's nowhere to be found - and Drizly has been a thoroughly, profoundly disappointing experience for whiskey.
Bottlecraft North Park has been doing an awesome job since the got their spirits license. Have you tried asking them about it?

Bottlecraft North Park has been doing an awesome job since the got their spirits license. Have you tried asking them about it?
I did manage to find a Stagg Jr at an awesome price in the most unlikely of places, but you're right - they're excellent with their spirits selection. Stagg Jr is just one of those odd ones because now it's apparently allocated by Buffalo Trace, which means few shops get any - and those that do try to hide them away for "regulars" or bump up the price considerably.

If anybody still drinks beer here, the new batch of Harland's Nelson! Nelson! was released and it's arguably even better than the first batch. I got a little too much bitterness on the backend with the previous batch, but this one is great through and through.

I've heard many including Geoi talk about how this is the closest to OG Nelson a beer has ever been - and you know, they're not wrong.

If anybody still drinks beer here, the new batch of Harland's Nelson! Nelson! was released and it's arguably even better than the first batch. I got a little too much bitterness on the backend with the previous batch, but this one is great through and through.

I've heard many including Geoi talk about how this is the closest to OG Nelson a beer has ever been - and you know, they're not wrong.
...iso?

Which location did you get it from? Wife works down the street from one Paseo. May ask her to swing by.

Back