The Salty Lady Clone (Gose)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schiersteinbrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I found this in a Spec's in Granbury Tx. I was grabbing 6 packs of beers I've never tasted and can't get in my area of Texas.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1495891528.974407.jpg

Love this beer after a long hot day of yard work. I bet it's pretty darn good while fishing as well, gonna find out but not soon enough.

ABV 5%
SRM 3%
IBU 4

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1495891580.336787.jpg

Done quite a bit of research and can't decide how do do the souring. So went to a tried a true book Brewing Classic Styles. Granted there wasn't a Gose in there but a Berliner Weisse is very close. I read their takes on souring. The easy way is toss in the lacto with the yeast and what they recommend.

The question is how to sour?

I have spare corney kegs and can mash (BIAB), drain to corney, purge oxygen, add lacto and let sit warm for a few days. Once I do this is that corney ruined and can only be used for sours?

Or do I mash as normal (before the mash out) then add like 2lbs acid Malt and mash for another 45-60min then mash out and boil?

Or do I go the easy route and toss in the lacto with the yeast and let it roll? I have tons of carboys so having a dedicated souring one doesn't bother me.

I also use RO water and build the water profile for the beer. Do I do a balanced / malty yellow profile (from Bru'n Water) then add the salt in the boil or make the water Salty to mimic the beer style origins water profile?

Here is the recipe I have come up with I will gladly accept any suggestions.

5gal
ABV 3.7%
SRM 2.5
IBU 6

4.5 lbs Pilsner Malt
3 lbs Wheat Malt
.5 oz Hallertau (4% AA) 60min
.75oz Sea Salt 15min
1oz Coriander 15min

Wyeast French Saison 3711
Wyeast LACTOBACILLUS BUCHNERI 5335

Protein rest at 122 for 20min
Raise to 148 and rest for 90min
Raise to 170 and rest for 15min

Pitch yeast and lacto (following BCS)

Yes it is in primary right now, waiting for a freed keg. I ended up using the Omega Lacto Blend for the kettle souring, used imperial napoleon saison yeast, and cut the coriander down to .75oz.

I'm planning on having a go at a Gose soon. I think what I'm planning on doing is to just steep some acidulated malt before the boil. Hopefully then I won't have to wait as long for bacteria to sour it up!

If you kettle sour it, it should only take about 48 hours to get tart. After that you reboil it and ferment as you would any other beer.
Personally I'd recommend getting some L. Plantarum pills from Walgreens/CVS ect. its much more predictable and, from what I've read, you have a lower chance of getting a baby vomit or bad cheese character.

OP - I'm a bit surprised you did a full 60 min boil, as most Gose recipes that I've seen only do about 15.

I did a kettle sour. It took mine about 48 hours to sour, I did a starter for the culture and put it all into the kettle.

I am going to do a 15-20 min boil next go round.

After mashing out and draining to the kettle I brought to a boil for 15 min. Cooled with my IC to 100 deg F, pitched the lacto starter into the kettle. Put the lid on the kettle wrapped with Suran Wrap to keep little bugs out, wrapped with a old sleeping bag and placed in my garage. Luckily in West Texas right now it's hot, the temp in the garage kept the wort around 100 deg easy.

A few nice things about the L. Plantarum pills are that it works well at room temp and it's cheaper and easier than Omega/White Labs/Wyeast.

Yes it is in primary right now, waiting for a freed keg. I ended up using the Omega Lacto Blend for the kettle souring, used imperial napoleon saison yeast, and cut the coriander down to .75oz.

Omega OYL-605 is the most reliable kettle souring lacto on the market IMHO.

I have also used L Plantarum caps from Swanson as a cost saver. I use 5 caps in a 1L flask of 1.040 wort and gave it 3 days stoppered with an airlock to build a starter to pitch into the wort adjusted to 4.5ph prior to pitching. This low ph makes a hostile environment for unwanted bacteria as the souring begins.

A few nice things about the L. Plantarum pills are that it works well at room temp and it's cheaper and easier than Omega/White Labs/Wyeast.

Indeed. Also consider using Goodbelly probiotic juices. A quart costs $4 at my local grocer, and I only need to use half of it to get the pH down near 3.0 for 5 gallons.

Full-Line_up.jpg

I would use a tad less coriander and I just used a yellow balanced water profile

Thanks for the thread! Gose is my wife's favorite style and Salty Lady is her favorite brew, so I guess it's time for me to brew my first kettle sour.

What did you think of yours side by side with the original?

Why did you reduce the ABV from 5% to 3.7%?

What was the basis for your choice of a french saison yeast? Isn't gose a German style?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

I ordered some Swanson's to do a 2.5gal test Berliner Weiss. Plus I have a 2.5 gal keg open. If it works much cheaper than Omega.

I think you are safest making a starter with a few (5?) of the Swanson pills, as @Morrey said. L. Plantarum deteriorates at room temp, and should be stored refrigerated. I didn't know that, but found some conclusive articles on it. Swanson claims 12 months shelf life for them. So depending on manufacturing date, their potency may be far less than 10 billion by the time we get them. Unless the (residual) potency is calculated to be 10 billion after 12 months...

My friend pitched 30 caps in a 10 gallon batch. It had soured nicely within 24 hours and after 48 it was definitely very sour at a pH of 3.2 and very clean. IIRC he had pre-soured the wort with some Lactic Acid, perhaps to a pH of 4.6.

You do need to seal the kettle and purge the headspace with CO2. I haven't made kettle sours myself yet, but was thinking of making a floating lid from a reasonably precise cut piece of styrofoam, wrapped in a heavy duty plastic bag, sealed on top. Maybe put a little weight in it too, to keep it down. That limits the exposure area to the headspace drastically while still flushing the headspace with CO2 of course and seal the lid.

Latest posts

Back