The right time to pitch a st arter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crypt0

Reaction score
I'm making a yeast starter for a beer for a friends 30th, under some tight time constraints. I have 3 weeks to have this beer carbed and kegged.

Which brings me to my question. Typically, what I'll do is make a yeast starter, let it ferment out for 2-3 days, then cool for another 1-2 days, decant starter beer, pitch.

I've seen other suggestions that you only let the starter go for 24 hours then pitch the whole thing into your wort. For whatever reason, I've always been of the opinion that if I don't see high kraussen in the starter, it's not ready yet.

Is one way better then the other?

Is there significant risk of off flavors from pitching 900ML of a starter into the wort?

Are the yeast technically more active before the starter achieves high kraussen?

Thanks!

I've been under the impression it's uncommon to actually see a krausen. In five years of making a starter I don't recall seeing one. I'm in the "make a quart starter the night before and then pitch into ten gallons of wort" camp though. It seems like your long process just forces the yeast to go through one cycle of activity and dormancy. I have no evidence but my preference is to pitch an active starter.

Typically, what I'll do is make a yeast starter, let it ferment out for 2-3 days, then cool for another 1-2 days, decant starter beer, pitch.

This is exactly what I do.

Is there significant risk of off flavors from pitching 900ML of a starter into the wort?

I would never do this. Starter wort has been fermented warm and is very oxidized, it tastes horrible.

One thought - pick a yeast that droops out readily. Then, you could probably cut down on the 1-2 days cooling. I've had decent luck just putting it in the fridge overnight.

Back