The requisite question - Is this infected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motleybrew

Reaction score
Today marks the second full week that my altbier has been in the primary. From the rate of attenuation (and the speed with which it was achieved), I had decided to bottle after two weeks. I popped the stopper off the lid to take a FG reading and see this:

IMG_20131101_104320_711.jpg

The smell is not necessarily indicative of what I would call 'spoiled.' So I'm thinking it is just left over yeast/hops that refuse to flocc. I did use Irish moss during the boil (which I haven't done before), so I'm not sure if this is a potential result of incomplete filtration during transfer to primary. Also, I used a low flocculating yeast, Wyeast 1007, so that could be part of it, too, I hope.

Someone set my mind at ease. I will probably just go ahead and bottle today anyway; the FG has settled at 1.012 (same is the sample I pulled last week).

I had something similar once, It didn't smell bad but it tasted like vinegar. In my case it was definitely an infection. Hard to tell if it's the same for you, did you taste it? If not try it. If it tastes like **** you'll avoid the trouble of bottling at least...

It tastes like beer, to me. I used an aggressive hop addition and can definitely taste that up front. It didn't make me want to throw up, so that's a good sign.

I agree with union, bottle and keep us posted! If it tastes good, what's the problem!?

Back