The Police? Really???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sacdan

Reaction score
All I can say is WOW! I haved been on cloud nine since winning 3 awards at the State Fair and then making the front page of our local newspaper, only to be dragged down today by some idiot. Some local AB distributor saw the kegs on my brewstand in the newspaper and went to the police station and wanted to have me arrested for stealing. He pointed to the picture and said "there is your evidence". I understand the Brewery's frustrations. I am the first to step up and tell people to get their kegs at a recycling place, like I do. I hate thieves. I am an honest man. He didn't even try to contact me. I would have gladly shown him where they were purchased and let him inspect them. Instead, he calls the cops. Tomorrow the police are sending a detective to my house to look at the kegs. They called AB brewery and said that they know that people steal their kegs, but won't prosecute. He doesn't even own them and never did. He doesn't have a case and can't prove they are even from his "Ditribution Center". There are no serial numbers. Once again, mine are legal. The kegs are dated 1990. They are decommisioned and are scrap metal. I will post more as this unfolds. It should be done tomorrow.

Absolutely ridiculous... what a tool.

I'm interested to see how this goes down. Probably another routine check-up for the detective that he'll just get pissed at for being called on.

What a maroon! Maybe I can look forward to a Pepsi distributor calling the cops on me for the cornies I have.:cross:

You've got to understand though, some peoples live are so empty and meaningless that they will jump on something like this just to get a little drama fix. Instead of feeling angry and giving them justification, feel sorry for them. It really is pathetic.

Well, first off...congratulations on your brewing successes!
Yeah what that guy did kinda blows. Dude needs to not be raining on your parade for certain, but it's not all his fault. After being repeatedly beat up on the playground most of his life, he worked hard to get to be an AB distributor and sell out to the beer Nazis.

Maybe he's hoping you'll return them with your award winning beer still inside :)

Tell him to get ****ed. Drive on up to Portland and enjoy OBF. Send me a pm, I'll buy you a pint at one of our better establishments.

Bottlebomber. Is right, dont put any energy and thought into it, negativity is contagious.

Well somehow you have to figure out what the best way is to hurt this guys wallet. I'll have to think about it. Right now I'm not sure what the best way may be. Congratulations by the way!

Congrats on your results first and foremost! Secondly, I'd be writing to my local newspaper asking for a blurb so you can properly warn people away from this guy's business. I'd also see what I can do to have the Detective give this moron a tough time as well. If I had the $, I'd probably see what options there were to tie up his time in court on defamation of character. Then, he might mind his own business...

I would teach this guy a lesson in some way. Launch a frivolous lawsuit against him. Sue him for something.....anything....just make sure that it costs him big bucks.

"Sometimes a kick in the ass equals a step forward!"

I'd contact the newspaper reporter that did the story on you when you won. I'm sure they would love to run on a story about how their photograph lead to an investigation. A little negative press is probably what the distributor needs to make him think twice next time.

What is his evidence that those are his kegs? Can he prove from a photo that you stole them from him? How can he tell from a photograph that they weren't purchased from a different distributor? I wouldn't even let the detective in the house. Talk to him nicely and politely outside on your porch. Unless he has a warrant, he ain't coming in my house to check out a couple of kegs some toolbag says are his from a photograph in a newspaper.

I'd like to see that hold up in court what with burden of proof and all.

Congrats on your results first and foremost! Secondly, I'd be writing to my local newspaper asking for a blurb so you can properly warn people away from this guy's business. I'd also see what I can do to have the Detective give this moron a tough time as well. If I had the $, I'd probably see what options there were to tie up his time in court on defamation of character. Then, he might mind his own business...

If you wanted to take him to court for deformation I would avoid (actually) doing it to him in the first, otherwise he would own you ass in court. In all honesty kegs get stolen all the time (as OP said AB accepts this and probably factors it into the price of their beer anyway), this guys is probably sick of it happening as it probably still means a loss to his bussiness. If the kegs were aquired legally, he's got nothing on you (probably still would have a hard time proving anything even if you had just not returned them). I would bet his thoughts are to put the message out there that he will not just stand by and let people steal "his" kegs and he will try and catch anyone who does.

Next time someone starts a thread on the legality/morality of getting their kegs by not returning them this is where they should be link to show them that the distributers could try to prosecute them for stealing.

End of devils advocate post :D

And congrates on the wins, it is a pitty that this guy went about his bussiness the complete wrong way and killed your buzz.
If you are completely in the clear try get a photo with the detective (or your mate dress as one) having one of your award winning beers and send it to the guy, that'll piss him off for sure.

Tell the cops to come back when they have a warrant. I the meantime make sure that the AB public relations know about it, it could turn into a nightmare for them.
(I am not a lawyer and this might not really be the best legal advise.)

Beerrific said:
Tell the cops to come back when they have a warrant. I the meantime make sure that the AB public relations know about it, it could turn into a nightmare for them.
(I am not a lawyer and this might not really be the best legal advise.)

+1 to this. Mail them the newspaper article about you're win and all documentation about the kegs. AB would probably jump all over this guy for being an arsehole.
(Just don't tell him about my three kegs!)

i'd contact the newspaper reporter that did the story on you when you won. I'm sure they would love to run on a story about how their photograph lead to an investigation. A little negative press is probably what the distributor needs to make him think twice next time.

this ^

I agree with having a second article done. I don't agree on the other suggestions. Why make it more of a pain for you and the police by preventing them from checking things out (which will likely be fine when they get the receipt and talk to you and you explain the whole from a scrapyard from the main brewers vs stealing. And that scrapyards should be checking to make sure they're not receiving stolen property. And this is why some states require deposits when renting kegs). since the others would jsut be a hassle for something that's not necessary and trying to do a photo of the detective or any other police would likely cause investigations of conflict of interest.

if you are not charged with anything, i am sure a good civil lawyer can find a way to make it painful for the *********, and maybe even get you an AB distributorship!

if you are not charged with anything, i am sure a good civil lawyer can find a way to make it painful for the *********, and maybe even get you an AB distributorship!

This.

DO NOT let the cops in without a warrant. EVER.

If they have to do the paperwork, they usually give up on silly s**t like this.

After they drop it (and frankly, they must have a LOT of time on their hands to even look into something this trivial), lawyer up and sue the distributor for defamation of character, emotional distress and whatever else the lawyer can come up with.

Make the tool suffer!

:mad:

ETA: Then, grind the AB off the kegs. No use giving free advertisement to a******s.

Life is too short to waste your time on stuff like this. Show the detective the receipt, don't purchase AB products and brew on.
Sue? Surely we all ***** and moan when we read about ridiculous lawsuits, most courts would toss that suit in a minute.

btw - Distributor must have some pull with the police for them to bother with a small deal like this.

This.

DO NOT let the cops in without a warrant. EVER.

If they have to do the paperwork, they usually give up on silly s**t like this.

After they drop it (and frankly, they must have a LOT of time on their hands to even look into something this trivial), lawyer up and sue the distributor for defamation of character, emotional distress and whatever else the lawyer can come up with.

Make the tool suffer!

:mad:

ETA: Then, grind the AB off the kegs. No use giving free advertisement to a******s.

+1,000,000

To leave him alone would simply be to let someone like that live happily along in this world. Some of us have to be the ones to show people that they are d1cks and should be b1tchslapped. If more of us do this (especially when we see bad drivers :D) eventually in a few thousand years, the world will be a better place! :p

I would let the detective do his job. then ask if he could pose for a picture of him brewing on the system or drinking one of your beers in front of the system then send it to the distributor. No need to sue that would just be another head ache.

Filing a frivolous lawsuit is an excellent way to end up getting countersued and having to pay. You may have a defamation claim, but what's the damages? You're going to spend way more dicking around with this guy than you would ever get back. It's not like, here's a valid claim, where's my millions? You have to prove up some harm.

You definitely do not have to let the detective in without a warrant. However, you probably just want to be done with it and you could show him the kegs and the receipts. You could talk to the detective about filing harassment charges against the distributor. That's probably your best bet.

MichaelBrock said:
I'd contact the newspaper reporter that did the story on you when you won. I'm sure they would love to run on a story about how their photograph lead to an investigation. A little negative press is probably what the distributor needs to make him think twice next time.

This! And if they're not interested, go to every competing news source.

This is your best solution to this issue. The negative press will expose the AB distributor for the sphincter he is, while restoring your good name in the community and it won't cost you anything.

People who know this sphincter will then give him a piece of their mind for being an alimentary canal.

btw - Distributor must have some pull with the police for them to bother with a small deal like this.

this is the reason why I would NOT let them in. odds are they are all BFF and you know how crooked some cops can be. i dont trust them, and my friends that are lawyers have told me never to do anything for them without an order.

Why are people so lawsuit happy? This is why our world blows. A lawsuit would just be a waste of your time. It would take months before you even got a conclusion.

Prove to the police that you did no wrong. Then if you want to retaliate mention the whole thing to the newspaper. This would be more damaging than a lawsuit...even though I don't think it will really do much.

I would contact the newspaper as mentioned above and I would meet the cops the next time OUTSIDE. Give them copies of the receipts for the kegs, polity explain your side of the story. Then polity explain that unless you are being charged with something or they have a warrant, you are through talking to them.

The next thing I would to is make a mark with a metal punch someplace very obvious on the keggles, this way you can easily prove they are yours!

Some great advice in this thread. Specifically the stuff about taking and unionized businessman from a extremely rich company into court for frivolous lawsuit just to get the last laugh (sarcasm).

I don't see you gaining anything by refusing entry to the detectives even if they don't have a warrent. If they are legal kegs, why not just let them check it out, clear you and everyone goes on their way.

What if they don't just drop it and come back with paperwork. It is just an unecessary pain in the ass for everyone involved at that point.

The suggestion to share your award winning beer with the detective and send a pic to the distributor is a more rational way to get the last laugh :D

The next thing I would to is make a mark with a metal punch someplace very obvious on the keggles, this way you can easily prove they are yours!

you mean just like AB does?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back