The perfect GABF

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunt1828

Reaction score
I'm flying to Denver tomorrow for some hiking and GABF! It'll be my first time to attend. Any suggestions to maximize the experience? I live in Houston, an under-served market, so I probably can't get the majority of breweries at home - I'm stoked. That said, I'm really looking for suggestions on what to do beyond the festival. I've got tickets to Friday night's event, and will also be attending "dinner with the Brett pack" Wednesday night at Avery. What else is out there? Any must-try breweries doing tap takeovers or similar? I feel like there are endless options but I don't even know where to start. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Avery has a bunch of fun beers, some of my favorites, and there are lots of others around, depends on your tastes. Given your comment on Brett, check out Crooked Stave. Avery also will have special stuff on tap during "the week of all weeks" (their words).

For the GABF, I would plan on splitting your time. Pick some beers/breweries you want to be sure to hit and map them ahead of time. For me a 100% planned tour is too much, but your tastes may vary. But it's too big to just wander 100%, so I'd plan a mixture of targeted tasting and wandering.

Don't do the tastings by the entrance at the beginning!

Consider a day trip to the mountains, Estes Park, i.e. RMNP(or anything closer), if you have not been to Colorado.

I'm flying to Denver tomorrow for some hiking and GABF! It'll be my first time to attend. Any suggestions to maximize the experience? I live in Houston, an under-served market, so I probably can't get the majority of breweries at home - I'm stoked. That said, I'm really looking for suggestions on what to do beyond the festival. I've got tickets to Friday night's event, and will also be attending "dinner with the Brett pack" Wednesday night at Avery. What else is out there? Any must-try breweries doing tap takeovers or similar? I feel like there are endless options but I don't even know where to start. Any suggestions are appreciated!

A member on here also posted today I believe saying his homebrew Riona Red that won a Pro-am competition will be showcased at the GABF under Red Eye Brewing. Check it out because that's awesome! Edit: Just looked @Schreiner is his HBT name

Check out a couple good Ohio breweries, Fat Heads and The Brew Kettle. The Brew Kettle White Rajah is one of the best IPAs around in my opinion.

A member on here also posted today I believe saying his homebrew Riona Red that won a Pro-am competition will be showcased at the GABF under Red Eye Brewing. Check it out because that's awesome! Edit: Just looked @Schreiner is his HBT name

Check out a couple good Ohio breweries, Fat Heads and The Brew Kettle. The Brew Kettle White Rajah is one of the best IPAs around in my opinion.

My beer is being served at the Pro-Am booth on Thursday!! Can't wait to sample some awesome brews! subscribing to this thread for suggestions...

Start the visit right by hitting the pop-up beer garden in the airport

http://www.flydenver.com/things_do

here is my usual list of breweries and tap houses to hit in downtown denver. They will all have special events due to GABF.

These 2 are little out from the others and not easily walked to.
Crooked Stave – sour / brett beers – 33rd and Brighton in the Source building
Black Shirt Brewing – 37th and walnut

These are 2-3 blocks apart from each other, so easy to grab a beer or 2 at each and head to the next one. The main issue might be getting food at most of these.

Epic – 30th and Walnut
Our Mutual Friend – 28th and Larimer
River North – 24th and blake
Great Divide – 22nd and Arapahoe
Blue Moon at the Sandlot – 21st and blake – part of Coors Field (not sure hours now)
NOT A BREWERY – Falling Rock Tap House – 50+ taps and food
Jagged Mt – 20th and Lawrence
Wynkoop – 18th and Wynkoop

These 3 are also apart from the others;
Denver Beer Company – 17th and Platte -
Prost – 20th and Central (across I-25)
NOT A BREWERY, but lots of taps and good food. – Ale House at Amatos – 16th and Central

Denver near the convention center has tons of awesome breweries. Crooked Stave is incredible.

My advice for GABF is try to focus. it's so easy to get plowed from oversampling, and then you don't enjoy beers (or at least their flavor) after that...

One year, I did sours, only sours, and not only had a tremendous experience, but wasn't sick for three days afterward. It seems like you have to rush through, but when 1 oz pours every 3 minutes can add up too quick, especially after hour two. Along those lines, if you don't like a beer, pour it out! It's their fault if a beer isn't good, not your obligation to suffer.

Also, watch the crowd. I have met many brewers in the aisleways, most all have been friendly and were willing to take pics and whatnot. I spent a considerable time with John Pinkerton from Moon River, super guy. You're not going to get 15 min. with Jim Koch, but he's still pretty friendly for a billionaire. Poured me a Utopias, I swear he seemed genuinely interested in my thoughts. Those are the things you'll take away from GABF and never forget.

I personally think you can skip Wynkoop. Beers are not very memorable. Great Divide is around the corner and their beers are much better. And you can go to Biker Jims and get a great sausage.

Try to get to Red Rocks one morning. If you're a music guy at all, it's really cool to stand down on the stage and look up at the amphitheater. Plus the views from the top are amazing. If you need good hangover food, Denver Biscuit Co on Colfax is perfect.

A little late, but thanks to everyone for the suggestions! We had a fantastic time. And I gotta say, if anyone ever gets a chance to join that 'Dinner with the Brett Pack' thing in the future (if they do it again) DO IT. The beers were INCREDIBLE! And we got to talk to the owners of those fantastic breweries which was fantastic.

For anyone interested, I put a recap of the trip on my (relatively new) blog: http://onemansmash.weebly.com/

Cheers

A little late, but thanks to everyone for the suggestions! We had a fantastic time. And I gotta say, if anyone ever gets a chance to join that 'Dinner with the Brett Pack' thing in the future (if they do it again) DO IT. The beers were INCREDIBLE! And we got to talk to the owners of those fantastic breweries which was fantastic.

For anyone interested, I put a recap of the trip on my (relatively new) blog: http://onemansmash.weebly.com/

Cheers

Nice recap / blog. Glad you enjoyed Denver. Come back when there aren't so many beer geeks in town. :)

Back