The original BIAB. Early 1990's memory

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troutman35

Reaction score
The year was 1992. My friend's wife bought him a homebrewing kit from a department store. It was a bag with extract and yeast that we filled with water, stuck in a closet, had a built in tap, and that we may have added sugar to after a week or so. A few weeks later, we hung the bag from a nail in a tree and proceeded to get drink in its entirety. We convinced ourselves it was great, and so began my journey.

Does anyone else remember these kits?

No way! That is EXACTLY how I began and in the same year, too. My wife bought it for me, also. I think it was for my birthday. I remember doing a lot of convincing myself it was good. Flat as could be, iirc

No I started in the 80's with the crappy extract available then. Took us 3 months to go all grain so we had better control over flavor. Local brewery would sell us bulk grain and that helped out. We mail ordered specialty malts/yeast and also got yeast from the brewery if we were doing a lager. Weren't a whole lot of choices back then...

Latest posts

Back