The New Revolution in brewing … courtesy of Johntodd

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johntodd

Reaction score
Hey extract brewers! Check THIS out!

OK, the title was just to grab attention. I just wanted to share my experiences with the cold-brewing technique.

I got tired of boilovers and clumping DME, as I detailed in another thread. So, I decided to take a risk and do a no-boil brew. Now the beers are finished and have been under the gas for a week, and I must report that these beers are smashingly good! Of course, they are young beers, but they taste as they should for a young beer. I can already taste the difference between this week and last week. These are right on schedule to be wonderful beers.

The basic idea was to brew good beer without using a kettle and then having to chill the wort. No muss, no fuss. Here's how I did it:

1. Put the hops in an electric pressure cooker with a quart of water and cook for 10 minutes at 15 PSI. Then unplug and vent.
2. In the meantime, use the spray arm from your kitchen faucet to spray 3 gallons of COLD water into your sanitized primary. Then use a sanitized whisk to whisk the DME into solution, straight from the bag. It'll take a few minutes of whisking, especially for a big beer.
3. Strain the hops tea through your sanitized strainer into the cold wort and whisk to mix.
4. Pitch a 1 gallon starter, top off to 5 gallons, and whisk to mix thoroughly.
5. Lock it down and install a blow-off or standard airlock.

That's it! Brew day for me is less than an hour now for 2 5-gallon batches. Here are the notes:

Notes:

1. The electric pressure cooker is one of the handiest kitchen gadgets in existance. If you do any cooking at all, get one of these! Just Google for it. Mine gets used several times a week.
2. 10 minutes in a pressure cooker equals a 60 minute boil for bittering hops. Also, one must use 20% LESS hops for the same IBU.
3. Flavor and aroma hops come from dry-hopping, keg hopping, and the various other methods of un-boiled hopping.
4. I believe (but do not know) that a large starter is essential in case there are contaminants in the DME. Since there is no boil, a healthy yeast starter is a must.
5. Sanitation is a must. Starsan is your friend.
6. The spray arm (vegetable sprayer) from your faucet is great for supremely aerating the water. The arm aerates water as it sprays through, and the excessive splashiness in the primary vessel adds additional oxygen. So does the whisk, so whisk it violently!
7. I haven't had these beers long enough to know how they will age long term. However, the young beers done this way taste exactly like the young beers I brewed the regular boiling-extract way.

So, I hope this helps take some of the drudginess out of brew day. Less time, less stuff to clean, easier prep, and seems to be making quality beer. I hope you've enjoyed this post; please ask me anything. If I don't know the answer, I'll make something up! :)

-Johntodd

That does sound interesting. I'm surprised that no one has responded. I do all grain mostly but I'm considering giving extract a try for when I feel like a shorter brew day. And if this works it'd be even better straight into the fermenter. What do you use as a fermenter that you can whisk? Must be a bucket I guess?
Let us know how those beers turn out with some age!!!

Thanks!

I do use buckets for fermenting, just like this kind:

http://www.eckraus.com/6-gallon-poly-fermenter-complete.html

But, I can see putting 2 gallons and the dme into a carboy with a solid plug and mixing it by vigorous shaking. I've never used a carboy; it seems hefty but not too heavy for the manual shaking.

Johow, for you, this might be a great way to try new extract recipes, and then if you like them, bump them up to all-grain. I think the simplicity and convenience of this cold-brew method might encourage people to try recipes they haven't tried before.

Hope this helps!
-Johntodd

I dunno, two of the ways I control the outcome for my extract brews are caramelization on the heat and hop schedule... I feel like id loose all control over it if I gave up the cook.

Not to mention, the best part of brew-day is having the whole house smell like beer oatmeal. :p

I haven't noticed a difference with the carms - but I really think my brand of DME just 'clicks' with me and my tastes. The dark DME I use has a fair amount of dark malt and even black malt. IOW, the carm flavor still seems to come through for me. I like malty beer.

As for the smell, wait till you vent the pressure cooker! WOW the hops smells soooo good!

Well, let's see. Let us have some more opinions, questions, and critiques on this. C'mon folks, Jump on in! The beer is fine!

Are you concerned at all with the bittering hops addition? Isn't the isomerization of alpha acids dependent on there being some malt present with the boiling of hops? Which is why extract Brewers will add a portion of their extract to boil the hops with, then add the remaining extract at the end to prevent darkening of the color? Honestly just asking as I have no clue either way. Pretty sure I read somewhere on here that some malt was required for getting the most from your hops. I'm sure others will come along and point out exactly where I'm mistaken. Lolol. But you did ask for questions or critiques so....

Well, I tell you: the hops tea was plenty bitter. I tasted it with a sanitized spoon to be sure. It seems the pressure cooker has no problems making it convert and then extracting it.

But that doesn't surprise me about the PC. Because of the higher pressure in the chamber, it's like a "time warp" is happening in there. Reactions seem to happen faster, which is why a soup cooked in there for 20-30 minutes tastes like it was simmered in the crock pot all day long.

That's why you need 20% less hops. You don't lose anything to evap and you get complete extraction. The 20% figure was something I gleaned from, like, the only other place on the internet that seems to have tried this. (And I lost the link for that!)

So, yeah, it does seem to bring forth the the bitterness in even greater quantity.

It does sound interesting and I spent a few minutes surfing for info and could not find anything really. I may have to just give it s try. Don't have a pressure cooker though...

John Todd?...any relation to Sweeny? :D Seriously though, I'd like to have a pressure fryer as well. That, & some X-99 I used to have a link for.

As an update to this thread, my cold brews have all been smashingly good. Ageing still smooths out the edges, like in all beers, and I get the benefits of not boiling anything.

Makes the same beer, from what I've drank.

Thanks!
-Johntodd

As an update to this thread, my cold brews have all been smashingly good. Ageing still smooths out the edges, like in all beers, and I get the benefits of not boiling anything.

Makes the same beer, from what I've drank.

Thanks!
-Johntodd

Hey John, what about my favorite brew.....Caribou Slobber? It's an extract kit and includes hop pellets, liquid malt extract and specialty grains. I suppose the grains would go into the pressure cooker along with the hops, eh? Thanks!

I've only done specialty grains once. I wouldn't put them in the PC because I fear over-extraction of tannins. A hot soak on the stove is still what I would do.

They should pay me money for how many people I've turned on to the electric PC!

When boiling the hop's in the pressure cooker do you get hop build up on the side of the pressure cooker

A little. I always swirl it to get it out. Always gets dumped through a sanitized strainer into the fermenter. The inside of my electric PC is non-stick, so cleanup is a snap.

Back