The new guy.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dead Weasel

Reaction score
Hello, I'm from Longview, Texas and just started brewing my very first time last night. I have lots of questions as I'm sure I messed something up. I have two plastic buckets guess its a two stage fermenter ? One has a nozzel on the bottom for hose attachment to make bottling easier but seems like it would suck in sediment.

My first brew or attempt at brewing is a Honey Brown ale. Smelt really good cooking the wort. I was surprized how much malt had to be stirred into the mixture. It was a prepackage setup. I'll try to find the links so I can better explain the stuff I bought.

I'm 25 and a senior at UT Tyler a branch of UT who beat USC. I work for Sears doing MCA work. Own two BMW's drive one and race the other and work on both.

Its hard finding 'good' beer in East Texas so I decided to make my own and call it "Dead Weasel"

Jesus, not another Texan. :(

All kidding aside...welcome to the forum.

You have 2 buckets....one is the primary fermenter (the one without the valve) and the other one is a bottling bucket.

Actually there is no right and wrong here, but that is typically what we use them as. If you are considering a secondary fermenter, we usually use a glass carboy for that.

good luck and have fun

loop

Greetings and welcome to the boards!

loop already hit on the buckets.

What kind of racing you do, Weasel? I've been looking to get into Solo2 this year, but the ride still needs work to pass inspection.

Cheers!

Dead Weasel said:
One has a nozzel on the bottom for hose attachment to make bottling easier but seems like it would suck in sediment.
Welcome. With respect to the bottling bucket, when you transfer the beer from the fermenter to the bottling bucket you should leave behind as much sediment as possible. Whatever gets racked over to your bucket will be distributed amongst the beer when you stir in the priming sugar solution. Even if you have sediment accumulated on the bottom of those buckets it is usually below the tap level.

I use my bottling bucket as a primary fermenter and use the tap to rack it over to a glass carboy for secondary conditioning (and hence avoid dealing with a siphon). Usually very little, if any, sediment comes out of the tap when I rack.

Dead Weasel said:
Thanks for the responces.

Similar to Solo2 but I stuck with BMW CCA instead of SCCA because the local SCCA uses a small lot compared to BMW CCA using a empty Helicopter airport. One lap is about 1 mile and 15 or so turns reach speeds 100+ in the straights.

Almost forgot the links to my kit.

http://www.homebrewery.com/beer/beer-gs-basic-kit.shtml

does Texas World Speedway in Bryan/College Station still have SCCA club events?

DeRoux's Broux said:
does Texas World Speedway in Bryan/College Station still have SCCA club events?

Yah SCCA has alot of events at TWS. One of their main locations in the Dallas area is Penningtonfield. I'm from Dallas just moved to longview last year so I attended Mineral Wells BMW CCA events. More clubs are using Mineral Wells now so dunno if SCCA moved out there yet.

www.sowdivscca.org

In East Texas I can't really find any racing other than drag racing or good beer other than Shiner. I was use to Central Market in Dallas.

a good friend of mine has a formula ford team (Red Beard Racing) out of Denton. he had been leasing his cars out to some big whig from Microsoft last i heard. Bruce did all the wrenching. they have raced at Phoenix and Laguna Seca too. pretty cool. they would race some of the SCCA events at TWS.

we used to love to go to the IMSA races at TWS. even got to meet Craig T. Nelson ( of Coach fame) when he ran there a few times....

Latest posts

Back