The Magical Miracle of Hops!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgerBrigade

Reaction score
So I'm not a huge beer fan, but there are a few beers I really enjoy...
For the last year and a half I have tried my hand at making cider.
I have done regular Apple ciders with a variety of different flavors like maple, honey, different fruits and other things like that. Then I attempted to add some wood flavor to my ciders and started using some Oak and some Cedar wood... My Pear cider and Sweet Pear are a hit among the friends but are still overshadowed by my (so far) claim to fame Apple-Cedar-Cherry.

Well, I was looking through recipes on the forum and I saw Brandon O's Graff! This looked absolutely amazing and I thought this would be really really fun to make. But before I decided to try my hand at the Graff I thought I would just try some Hopped cider first.
I went down to my LHBS and picked up a few bags of Hops. I didn't really know what I was looking for because this is my first experience with hops. But I knew I wanted to try to use the Cascade hops and then left the other two choices up to the guy who runs the homebrew supply store.
I have not used the third package of hops yet but the number two choice he gave me was the Mosaic hops.
So I dry hopped a 3 gallon batch with the Cascade and then I dry hopped a 1 gallon batch with the Mosaic.
I also did a 2 L batch with the mix of both hops.

Last night the 2 L batch of the mixed hops blend was ready for drinking.
I had a feeling it would be good because the two commercial hopped ciders I have tried before I really enjoyed but I had absolutely no idea that it was going to be like it was!
Crisp, refreshing and hoppy just does not paint the picture of this!
Seriously, This was like a culinary version of losing your virginity!
Sooooo good!

If you beer drinkers out there have not made a cider you should definitely give a hopped cider a try & for those of you out there who have done a cider and have not added hops you should give this a try!
I have never enjoyed a cider so much!
I took some over to that heavy-duty beer drinkers next-door and one of the guys looked at me and said "I am really not into ciders but I would even drink this over beer!"
I think this was my greatest compliment in my Cider making timeline... The guy even had a beer in his hand when he said it!

I would love it if you guys would chime in with your opinions of hops and hopped cider, any hop experiments or hop fun facts or stories...
EA21AD51-9237-4CD6-9CC9-82FB12762A4E-695-0000011F30EAD6FB_zpsae93100b.jpg

I've never made cider before, although l eventually do want to try and do it. There was an episode of basic brewing where they dry hopped cider with some hops. They seemed impressed by the results as well.

How much hops are you using and how long are you letting them dry hop...I have a 5 gallon batch nearly done that I could experiment with and some Mosaic hops coming in the mail today

WannabeBeerNerd said:
How much hops are you using and how long are you letting them dry hop...I have a 5 gallon batch nearly done that I could experiment with and some Mosaic hops coming in the mail today

I used .28 oz of the Mosaic hops in a 1 gallon batch and .5 oz of Cascade hops in a 3 gallon.
7 days.... (I do "homebrew Sundays" instead of Wednesday... Lol)

I would try .7 or .8 oz But again, I am new to doing this so that's just a guess :)

So I'm not a huge beer fan, but there are a few beers I really enjoy...
For the last year and a half I have tried my hand at making cider.
I have done regular Apple ciders with a variety of different flavors like maple, honey, different fruits and other things like that. Then I attempted to add some wood flavor to my ciders and started using some Oak and some Cedar wood... My Pear cider and Sweet Pear are a hit among the friends but are still overshadowed by my (so far) claim to fame Apple-Cedar-Cherry.

Well, I was looking through recipes on the forum and I saw Brandon O's Graff! This looked absolutely amazing and I thought this would be really really fun to make. But before I decided to try my hand at the Graff I thought I would just try some Hopped cider first.
I went down to my LHBS and picked up a few bags of Hops. I didn't really know what I was looking for because this is my first experience with hops. But I knew I wanted to try to use the Cascade hops and then left the other two choices up to the guy who runs the homebrew supply store.
I have not used the third package of hops yet but the number two choice he gave me was the Mosaic hops.
So I dry hopped a 3 gallon batch with the Cascade and then I dry hopped a 1 gallon batch with the Mosaic.
I also did a 2 L batch with the mix of both hops.

Last night the 2 L batch of the mixed hops blend was ready for drinking.
I had a feeling it would be good because the two commercial hopped ciders I have tried before I really enjoyed but I had absolutely no idea that it was going to be like it was!
Crisp, refreshing and hoppy just does not paint the picture of this!
Seriously, This was like a culinary version of losing your virginity!
Sooooo good!

If you beer drinkers out there have not made a cider you should definitely give a hopped cider a try & for those of you out there who have done a cider and have not added hops you should give this a try!
I have never enjoyed a cider so much!
I took some over to that heavy-duty beer drinkers next-door and one of the guys looked at me and said "I am really not into ciders but I would even drink this over beer!"
I think this was my greatest compliment in my Cider making timeline... The guy even had a beer in his hand when he said it!

I would love it if you guys would chime in with your opinions of hops and hopped cider, any hop experiments or hop fun facts or stories...
EA21AD51-9237-4CD6-9CC9-82FB12762A4E-695-0000011F30EAD6FB_zpsae93100b.jpg

I just kegged a cider dry hopped with Citra Hops and I LOVE IT! I added an ounce to 5 gallons and let set for 6 days. My favorite HBC yet! Mosiac is next on the list

Back