The Lazyman Brew - Will it work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerfant

Reaction score
Where I live, I can get no hops. I can get as much barley and wheat I want but shall have to malt it myself. I do not have an oven to roast/dry it out. Have been thinking on these lines and wanted to try...

We do get non-alcoholic malt drinks made by the only brewery in the country and they are quite cheap. These drinks already have hops in them.

If I take this malt beverage, degass it, add sugar to the desired abv and ferment it, do you think I would end up with a drinkable beer?

PS. I do not remember if these drinks have preservatives added - shall have to check

I think it would be similar to taking the non-alcoholic drinks and throwing in a shot of alcohol.

alcohol content- yes
drinkable- not really

If you can't get hops or malt and don't have an oven, I'd skip trying to make beer and try something else. Can you get fruit?
And where are you where you can't get hops?

Give it a try. If these drinks are similar to Malta Goya or Vita Malt, it should work.

I wouldn't know what Malta Goya or Vita Malt are like but Malt79 is a lot darker and denser than beer and also have a hint of sweetness. I once added enough vodka to Malt79 to give me equivalent to 8% beer, and it was drinkable. I believe fermenting it with sugar will not only add alcohol to it but also make it clearer and lighter in color.

Where is it that you live that you have no access to these necessities of life? Do you have a plan to escape?

Where I live, I can get no hops. I can get as much barley and wheat I want but shall have to malt it myself. I do not have an oven to roast/dry it out. Have been thinking on these lines and wanted to try...

We do get non-alcoholic malt drinks made by the only brewery in the country and they are quite cheap. These drinks already have hops in them.

If I take this malt beverage, degass it, add sugar to the desired abv and ferment it, do you think I would end up with a drinkable beer?

PS. I do not remember if these drinks have preservatives added - shall have to check

Are we supposed to be guessing where you are from?

My guess is Nauru

You can bitter with gruit spices. Spruce tips can be used as well.

If you don't like the sweetness of fruit based beverages, you can always make a drier version. I made a dry jalapeño mead a few years ago. It's taken it a long time to mellow out, but it's surprisingly palatable.

I wouldn't know what Malta Goya or Vita Malt are like but Malt79 is a lot darker and denser than beer and also have a hint of sweetness. I once added enough vodka to Malt79 to give me equivalent to 8% beer, and it was drinkable. I believe fermenting it with sugar will not only add alcohol to it but also make it clearer and lighter in color.

It sounds like Murree Malt79 is very similar Malta Goya. As you say, heavier, darker and sweeter than beer because the malt sugars haven't fermented.

Fermenting it would be a lot different than just adding vodka. But I don't know if it as additives or anything that would interfere.

Where is it that you live that you have no access to these necessities of life? Do you have a plan to escape?

Well, I am not in prison, I can assure you that, otherwise I would be making hooch! :)

I live in a country where it is illegal to drink for the majority, and illegal to make alcohol for all, so do avoid mentioning my exact location. As for escaping, I might move to Europe sometime in the next 12 months if everything goes right.

:mug:

I guess, I'll give it a try and let you know how it turns out. Won't cost much to make a 5 liter batch, just around $6

BTW, I once tried to make beer with bread, using Ovaltine for the enzymes - turned out a nasty hooch! :D

I used raw papaya peel for bitterness, and I believe it was this that contributed more to the nastiness than Ovaltine itself!

Last edited:
If it is where I am thinking you are playing with your life... they like to remove heads there...

Well, I am not in prison, I can assure you that, otherwise I would be making hooch! :)

I live in a country where it is illegal to drink for the majority, and illegal to make alcohol for all, so do avoid mentioning my exact location. As for escaping, I might move to Europe sometime in the next 12 months if everything goes right.

:mug:

If it is where I am thinking you are playing with your life... they like to remove heads there...

LOL! I know where you are thinking about, but no... I live in a much more moderate country than the one you have in mind. Here, especially in the city I live, we do have liquor stores that sell locally made beer and spirits. They are supposed to sell to only those who have permits but they sell to anyone. As long as you do not get caught on your way home, you are safe. Even if you do get checked by the police you should be able to bribe them .. em, that is if you do not have connections! Anyhow, chances are nobody would check you unless you get unlucky.Yes, I am ashamed of saying I live in a country where even the Prime Minister is corrupt! :mad:

This thread makes me sad.
Sorry I have no idea if your plan to add sugar to the malt bev would work, worth a shot though.

Latest posts

Back