The last thing I wanted to see on my Imperial Yeast order

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OG-wan Kenobi

Arcane Artisanal Ales
Reaction score
th444umbnail.png

A WEEK??????
I hope this is wrong MoreBeer is always 2 days and my ice is melted but cool upon arrival

Anyone had this issue before? Was the yeast still viable?

This has me annoyed

Never used them. Question? You are on Long Island. NY? If so why do you order yeast from California. I buy liquid yeast at my LHBS, but if I was ordering online, it would be from a source much closer.

They always ship from PA I always (20+ orders) get it within 48 hrs this time that did not happen I am not sure why they listed it as in stock from the PA store ……..

Local HB store Imperial yeast $13.99 4 packs = $55.96 (I don't remember if I pay tax)
MoreBeer Imperial yeast was $9.44 free shipping 4 packs = 37.76
its a difference of $4.55 a package and at 4 packages it was a price savings of $18.20 and that's IF my local home brew store had it which they probably did not have what I wanted as it is very rare they do when I am there I have to compromise 90% of the time it is what it is.

I am obviously going to make a starter with nutrient and energizer

MoreBeer is the only supplier I get my liquid yeast from because they deliver within 2 days and it's free shipping it's never failed me before

Never used them. Question? You are on Long Island. NY? If so why do you order yeast from California. I buy liquid yeast at my LHBS, but if I was ordering online, it would be from a source much closer.

I forgot that is the one with the outlet in PA. Makes sense to order from PA. I would have expected them to contact you if shipping liquid yeast from California before doing it. I would email them a complaint!!!!

I always check availability before placing an order. And if no stock in PA, I’ll wait or go to LBHS. That being said, I did order something a couple weeks ago, and I received an email from customer service apologizing but they were short on inventory and my one item was coming from CA.

I also did call them last week about an order that was late and was advised they were slammed. With the wine season in full swing and the $35 free shipping.

Usually my orders take 2 days. Last week was 4 days out of PA warehouse.

They’re still great to deal with and I’ll continue using them for online orders.

I would normally receive it today availability still shows good for PA so I am going to see what happens however if I don't receive it today I am going to have to inquire about the serious lapse in judgement.

For most goods, shipping route and transit time are a secondary issue. But for yeast it's much more critical. I've ordered East Coast Yeast from Love2Brew, they provide good pointers for shipping their yeast.

I only order yeast during moderate seasons and temps along the route. Not in Summer or deep Winter. This time of the year is borderline already.

I only order yeast during moderate seasons and temps along the route. Not in Summer or deep Winter. This time of the year is borderline already.

Here in Florida, there might be window of about 1 1/2 months in from Christmas to the second week in February. Last February I wondered why it was taking so long to cool my wort (I had lived in RI before that} so I measured the temperature of the tap water -- 80 DEGREES!!!

I'm still in the low 60's for the high temps so it would normally be a non issue at the moment for a 2 day turn around with ice pack

80 degree tap water in FEB wow Florida is not for me

I'm still in the low 60's for the high temps so it would normally be a non issue at the moment for a 2 day turn around with ice pack

80 degree tap water in FEB wow Florida is not for me

Yep, too hot for my tastes for at least 7 months, I am getting used to it again. But I do not have to shovel snow any more!!!!! Great trade since everything is air conditioned here. Just hurry from car to building.

I have a shipment coming from CA as well. I sent them an email. Turns out that since one of my items was out of stock in PA, the whole order ships from CA. I wish they would give you a heads up on that.

I used to order liquid yeast from MB before they had their PA location and never had a problem with yeast viability. This time of year you should be ok with cooler temps. Just make sure you do a starter

Snow blower's are wonderful th
I have a shipment coming from CA as well. I sent them an email. Turns out that since one of my items was out of stock in PA, the whole order ships from CA. I wish they would give you a heads up on that.

They usually split the order if that happens that's why I always check where my yeast is coming from, perhaps this policy changed as it would be more cost effective to ship from 1 location VS 2

I would normally receive it today availability still shows good for PA so I am going to see what happens however if I don't receive it today I am going to have to inquire about the serious lapse in judgement.
You ordered 4 packs, were they the same strain? It could be showing in stock at PA because they have at least 1 but maybe not all 4. If they were different strains and all in stock then that would be odd to send from CA.

That could very well be the case
But I will be contacting them it looks like as it should have been here by now

Here in Florida, there might be window of about 1 1/2 months in from Christmas to the second week in February. Last February I wondered why it was taking so long to cool my wort (I had lived in RI before that} so I measured the temperature of the tap water -- 80 DEGREES!!!

I had the same issue when I moved from the Seattle area to the Los Angeles area. I fill my 10 gallon mash tun with ice water, and put a submersible pond pump inside. The immersion chiller is hooked to the sink until the wort gets to the mid 80’s. After that I hook the chiller to the pump to drop the final 20. It’s a cumbersome setup but it works. I didn’t want to buy pre chiller because it’s important to keep my equipment to the bare essentials only. I do full 5 gallon A/G batches in an apartment and space is limited.

I usually get a pop-up on the last page (where you would put in promo codes) that warns of the change in shipping time. I’ve never had an issue with morebeer, I’m guessing their customer service will be good to ya if you reach out.

Realistically I’d say the yeast is probably going to be fine. Depending on which brand you bought, if something seems fishy (swollen packages, etc) I’d email morebeer and also make a starter(s) when you get it. Then you can likely fridge it for later. Also reach out to the manufacturer, they usually have good suggestions.

Kinda funny to read this. I went through the same thing last week, but on the ca side! One thing was out of stock in ca so my entire order came from pa. I emailed and asked why is my yeast coming across the country when I live about 75mi from your ca warehouse, and I basically got a middle finger. One item was missing in the order so I had to call and get that resolved, so I asked that guy why I didn’t get multiple shipments like I have in the past, and he said it’s their new policy. If the entire order is in stock at one location, it ships from there. I asked how can I still get my yeast shipped from ca with free shipping, without having to make two $59 orders, and he said I’d have to call in the order.

Wow, that is interesting. Like I said in my previous post- I have been getting a message pop up regarding shipping due to items not being available. But that’s been recent and the first couple of times I thought “don’t they usually just do two shipments... I don’t remember this happening before”. Glad to know I’m not crazy and this is a new policy.

I had the same issue when I moved from the Seattle area to the Los Angeles area. I fill my 10 gallon mash tun with ice water, and put a submersible pond pump inside. The immersion chiller is hooked to the sink until the wort gets to the mid 80’s. After that I hook the chiller to the pump to drop the final 20. It’s a cumbersome setup but it works. I didn’t want to buy pre chiller because it’s important to keep my equipment to the bare essentials only. I do full 5 gallon A/G batches in an apartment and space is limited.

I have a pump but as yet have not gotten the fittings to install it in my IC system. Lately I cool as much as I can then put the fermenter in the chamber and pitch the yeast later when cooled fully.

So got some nice hot brown yeast today and I called moorebeer, they suggested I try a starter I said not with brown yeast I’m not, then he immediately agreed to replace it and will make sure it ships from the correct location this time.

So good on MoreBeer customer support they did the right thing I just want to make that public

View attachment 625000

A WEEK??????
I hope this is wrong MoreBeer is always 2 days and my ice is melted but cool upon arrival

Anyone had this issue before? Was the yeast still viable?

This has me annoyed
I had that issue once, ONCE. Not the same yeast strain but it doesnt matter at that point. Yes, it came warm , both cold packs were well warm as well. I ended up using a dry yeast anyway. This is why I continue to use dry yeast . its a lot more forgiving on sustained temperature and shipping times.

I had that issue once, ONCE. Not the same yeast strain but it doesnt matter at that point. Yes, it came warm , both cold packs were well warm as well. I ended up using a dry yeast anyway. This is why I continue to use dry yeast . its a lot more forgiving on sustained temperature and shipping times.

Yea but you cannot compare any dry yeast to A24 dry hop for a NEIPA and I brew a lot of NEIPA so I was trying to grab a few on sale. In the summer I pay a major premium for the yeast at the LHBS if they even have it most times I end up with Juice or Barbarian he never has Dry hop or Citrus. MooreBeer is stepping up so I'm good I am not brewing this weekend so it's fine for next week when I need it

Latest posts

Back